Switching from NTL to Sky (ROI query)

Started by Shamrock Shore, December 08, 2008, 07:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Lads

I am thinking of moving from UPC Digital (formerly NTL, formerly Cablelink) to Sky. Will save over 200 lids annually.

Is there any reason ye know of for me not to switch.

Billys Boots

You won't get Setanta free, as far as I know.  Otherwise ....

Be sure to get the Sky+ Box - I could never go back.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

No Setanta Ireland on the tv but I have eircom broadband at home. Eircom streams Setanta Ireland for free - the picture is 50 seconds behind the 'analog' signal with NTL.

So that's only a minor inconvenience.

I assume I can tune in a different BBC1 as I (no offence to the Northern Bize) think BBC Norn Iron is cat maladeon. 'The Folk on the Hill'  :o Sweet Lamb of God.

WeAreBlueWeAreWhite

shamrock i know a fella whose knows a fella who can hook you with a device that will get you all the channels for free thus saving you alot more than 200 lollys a month!! Failing that I would say the main difference between the two is if you get sky you will lose the 20 or so channels you recieve with the ntl basic service, and the only way you'll get channels in another room is by getting another digibox which will mean more than cost. At least with the ntl you can have stations in another room without the need for another digibox. Though you could get one of those magic eyes which allows you to send the pictures from your skydigibox to another tv in the house,only drawback is you have to watch whatever is being watched on the main tv, I know in my house this could be a dangerous option!
AND A BOTTLE OF RITZ FOR ME LAC

Gnevin

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 08, 2008, 07:41:33 PM
Lads

I am thinking of moving from UPC Digital (formerly NTL, formerly Cablelink) to Sky. Will save over 200 lids annually.

Is there any reason ye know of for me not to switch.
Sham i have a look at http://www.astra2d.com/freesat.htm before going with sky. Boxes will be in the shops soon.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Shamrock Shore

Lots of good information there boys and girls.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll go the Sky route alright. Not interested in dodgy gear as I am an upstanding member of the community  ::)

Good Man Dougal De Rossa. Best to you, Mrs De Rossa and all the extended Rossas for the Christmas.

No date yet for SSTT+30. We'll ensure it clashes with nothing of note. Perhaps a date that Mad Nats can't make.

Croí na hÉireann

Just be aware SS that UPC require 30 days written notice that you wish to disconnect from their "service"...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Shamrock Shore

I know that Croí - but they will accept 'written' notice over the phone between 9 am and 5.30 pm!

NTL digital is costing the Shores €117 every two months or €58.50 per month. We have the basic package - no additional sports/movies etc. Sky with 3 packages (not sport nor movies nor shagging natural history documentaries) and multiroom will be €32.50 per month (ignoring the set up costs of €119) . Before installation costs therefore a massive annual saving of €312.

I believe a pal can claim they referred us to Sky and then receive a few bob as well as, well, commission.

Gnevin

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 09, 2008, 10:09:28 AM
I know that Croí - but they will accept 'written' notice over the phone between 9 am and 5.30 pm!

NTL digital is costing the Shores €117 every two months or €58.50 per month. We have the basic package - no additional sports/movies etc. Sky with 3 packages (not sport nor movies nor shagging natural history documentaries) and multiroom will be €32.50 per month (ignoring the set up costs of €119) . Before installation costs therefore a massive annual saving of €312.

I believe a pal can claim they referred us to Sky and then receive a few bob as well as, well, commission.

Sham if your not going sports, movies ,documentaries . Freestat could be the way to go
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The Real Laoislad

Shamrock I have one of those dodgy boxes(I'm obviously not a upstanding member of the community  :P )
I have all the sports and movie channels and its only costing me €40 a month,I feel with all the hassle I got from NTL this is payback time!
If it all goes belly up I will be going for Sky+ though
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Hound

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 09, 2008, 09:45:35 PM
Shamrock I have one of those dodgy boxes(I'm obviously not a upstanding member of the community  :P )
I have all the sports and movie channels and its only costing me €40 a month,I feel with all the hassle I got from NTL this is payback time!
If it all goes belly up I will be going for Sky+ though
I know a few people in the same position.

UPC/NTL cracking down on the illegal boxes will actually cost them money in the long run with people switching over to Sky when it goes.