Big Joe speaks

Started by Jinxy, August 08, 2010, 02:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 09, 2010, 10:14:42 PM
Just a reminder that some sportsmen can do the right thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWdf5ZLbtYo

What would have been 'the right thing' for Joe to do then?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 09, 2010, 10:08:42 PM
You know, its funny when I think back on how people were castigating the ref and the umpires but here we are weeks later with the benefit of tv replays, time to analyze rulebooks and, still, there are vastly differing opinions on what happened and how what happened should have been interpreted wrt rules of the game.

I was thinking about what AZ said about how I would react if I was was bundled over the line and he's right, I really would't know whether it was a legit goal. Then I thought a bit more and realized that the first thing I would have done if the defenders started roaring would be to get up and roar that it was a goal..which is exactly what Sheridan did. It wouldnt be "dishonest" as such..it would be instinctive human behavior. If I thought it might be a goal the competive spirit would convince me, in the moment, that it was definitely a goal. I've played in games, and reffed games,  where it happens time and again with points that go over the top of the post and nobody is quite sure (including umpires) that it was a goal. Yet 100% of the time the way people view the incident seems to folllow which team they are on. This means everybody is blind or everybody is a lying baxtard. The truth is in between. We hallucinate the result we want to see so its a bit of being blind and a bit of lying (to oursleves as much as anyone else).

The only way to even attempt a comprehensive solution is the Rugby method. I've watched games and seen the way they replay the incidents..this primes the crowd for the decision as , most of the time, it is clear enough what happens. It gives the video ref plenaty of time in a calm environment to see the incident and if needed review the rules for weird situations. Plus it takes the heat off the ref who, after all, has to continue to ref the game or who is the one at risk from angry fans. Has there ever been major controversy or disagreement about a video refs decision ?

And yes, this would only be practical for the big games and would not be feasible at club games etc but , in that case, people have to just cop on and realize that mistakes will be made or that incidents will occur that are just extremely difficult to adjudicate on , especially, in the heat of the moment.

btw, in an ideal world everybody would be forced to referee and umpire a game or two. That would shut a lot of people up.

This is a very honest post and I think anyone that ever kicked a ball would be of a similar mind. However it shows how we put winning above integrity in our games. I don't know if the philosophy was always that way but it probably was. By contrast golf and sometimes snooker have philosophies where players often call fouls against themselves even when no one else has seen an offense. It might be naive though to demand similar culture in the Gaa.
MWWSI 2017

crossfire

Quote from: Jinxy on August 09, 2010, 10:56:42 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 09, 2010, 10:14:42 PM
Just a reminder that some sportsmen can do the right thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWdf5ZLbtYo

What would have been 'the right thing' for Joe to do then?

You should have declined post match interviews. :D

mylestheslasher

Well fair enough, if Di Canio was making what looks like Nazi salutes then he is a sc**bag - I wasn't aware of this. I was looking for some acts of sportmanship that are out there and that one sprung to mind. Muppet said it better when he spoke of snooker and golf.

What should Joe have done,

Admitted after the game that the goal should not have stood
Not flaunted his winning by a foul goal in front of cameras
Called on his county board to offer louth a replay

That was all he could do and you know i'd be the 1st one here saying he was a decent lad if he had done that.

Jinxy

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 09, 2010, 11:09:03 PM
Well fair enough, if Di Canio was making what looks like Nazi salutes then he is a sc**bag - I wasn't aware of this. I was looking for some acts of sportmanship that are out there and that one sprung to mind. Muppet said it better when he spoke of snooker and golf.

That was all he could do and you know i'd be the 1st one here saying he was a decent lad if he had done that.

But he didn't think that so why would he say it.

Mike Sheehy

Lads, ye well know that golf and snooker are completely different. They are individual sports. Its a different scenario in a team sport and especially a team sport with a tribal component. There are more people who care about the result. If I recall, redknapp was managing West Ham at that time and they went on to win the game. If they hadn't the I'm sure there would have been plenty of west ham fans queuing up to bash Di Canio, thats if they could get past Harry Redknapp.

Also, golf and snooker are played in a much slower pace without rabid fans. Much easier for officials to "ref" them, so to speak.

At the end of the day its us, the fans, that have much of the responsibilty to bear. If winning wasnt so important to us then
maybe the players could relax a bit and play the game in a better spirit.

Mike Sheehy

also, you only have to go back to the Ryder cup when the US players ran across Olazabals (??) line to see what can happen when the team sports/tribal aspect is brought into the equation.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 09, 2010, 11:44:58 PM
Lads, ye well know that golf and snooker are completely different. They are individual sports. Its a different scenario in a team sport and especially a team sport with a tribal component. There are more people who care about the result. If I recall, redknapp was managing West Ham at that time and they went on to win the game. If they hadn't the I'm sure there would have been plenty of west ham fans queuing up to bash Di Canio, thats if they could get past Harry Redknapp.

Also, golf and snooker are played in a much slower pace without rabid fans. Much easier for officials to "ref" them, so to speak.

At the end of the day its us, the fans, that have much of the responsibilty to bear. If winning wasnt so important to us then
maybe the players could relax a bit and play the game in a better spirit.

It was at the end of a 1-1 draw, WH were pressing for the winner.
Hasta la victoria siempre

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Jinxy on August 09, 2010, 11:10:58 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 09, 2010, 11:09:03 PM

But he didn't think that so why would he say it.

Of course he didn't jinxy ::)

Hardy

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 09, 2010, 10:10:41 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 09, 2010, 09:20:16 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 09, 2010, 09:10:36 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 09, 2010, 08:59:55 PM
So much venom and hatred. That stuff will gnaw away at you and it will end badly.

Try to find a team to support, a cause to champion, something positive to espouse. Take my word for it - it's much more fulfilling than scouring the internet for people to slander and things to spit on. I know you haven't got much going for you up there with your arse to the slurry-scented wind, but broaden your self image a bit, align yourself with the wider Ulster identity and cheer for Down or something. Cheer, now. That's different to jeer.

I'd rather Cavan were shite than behave like ye did and have a medal.

Indeed - as I pointed out before, you're like the man who'd rather his own horse died that that his neighbour would get a horse. Such bitterness is sad to behold, frankly.

P.S. Cavan ARE shite, though, believe it or not, I'm sorry to see that. I'd love to see a resurgence in our neighnours' fortunes as, I'd wager would most of Meath. But that's the difference between sportsmanship and whatever it is that gives rise to your bitterness.

No Hardy, you misunderstand. I'll try and put it simple to you. Football is a sport. Winning football matches or medal through cheating is anti-sport. I would rather lose and be sporting than win by cheating. Your horsey analogy is balls. Whether you would like Cavan to win or not is irrelevant. You seem to think I have something against Meath, I didn't have anything against Meath prior to this match other than a local rivalry and you could also say I would have admired their spirit and never say die attitude. But I abhor cheating and poor sportsmanship which is what Joe Shieridan, the Meath Co Board and most Meath posters on this board have demonstrated. So you can keep posting crap about me being negative, bitter about Meath or whatever other rubbish you want - you are only doing to yourself in my eyes what Big Joe is doing to himself in the media.

Sorry, Myles. That's an unconvincing attempt to recover face, hilariously ruined by your hapless choice of ideal sportsman that followed. Bullseye in the foot, I'm afraid. 

You try to make a misguided point by choosing a nazi-saluting hero of soccer as a paragon of sportsmanlike conduct while going out of your way to excoriate a neighbour. Enough said and demonstrated about your pathetic sporting values.

haranguerer

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 09, 2010, 10:10:41 PM
Winning football matches or medal through cheating is anti-sport.

I defy you to find a football game where someone hasn't tried to cheat in some shape or form. Utopia would be great, but it never can exist.

heffo

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 09, 2010, 11:44:58 PM
If I recall, redknapp was managing West Ham at that time and they went on to win the game. If they hadn't the I'm sure there would have been plenty of west ham fans queuing up to bash Di Canio,

The match ended in a draw - that's why there was so much made of it - if West Ham had been running away with it, it wouldn't have mattered

Main Street

Is Joe so tall that merits the tag "Big Joe", or is there another (smaller) Joe on the team?

Jinxy

Is there a 'Small Dick' on the Monaghan team?

Rick O Shea

Myles, as a Cavan man you must be outraged that Cavan didn't offer Derry a replay after the ulster final in '97:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2e2EV8vNDU

1.30: Wide given as a point.  I'm sure the No.12 knew it was wide, do you think he should have told referee or umpires?
2.55: Reilly double bounce before hitting a point, should he have told the referee it was a free out?
Both these players would've known that they "cheated"! Is that ulster final victory tainted?