Big Joe speaks

Started by Jinxy, August 08, 2010, 02:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Good interview with Joe Sheridan in the Tribune today.
Honest and to the point.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Nally Stand

Read that. If anything, I've even less respect for him now....

"I have a lot of sympathy for Louth, but I don't see why I should say sorry. I didn't go out to cheat and I didn't cheat."

"We never cheated."

"People were coming up and talking about a replay. I told them it was never going to happen."

"OK it wasn't a proper goal but it was a penalty anyway".

"I feel very sorry for them (Louth) and I don't mean to sound patronising. But we've worked just as hard as they did so why shouldn't we enjoy winning it".

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

pintsofguinness

is the full article available?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Jinxy

Quote from: Nally Stand on August 08, 2010, 03:25:09 PM

"I have a lot of sympathy for Louth, but I don't see why I should say sorry. I didn't go out to cheat and I didn't cheat."

"We never cheated."

"People were coming up and talking about a replay. I told them it was never going to happen."

"I feel very sorry for them (Louth) and I don't mean to sound patronising. But we've worked just as hard as they did so why shouldn't we enjoy winning it".

What's wrong with any of that?

tonto1888

Quote from: Jinxy on August 08, 2010, 04:00:03 PM

"We never cheated."

What's wrong with any of that?

was thinking that myself. Not the meath players fault the ref messed up

Peter Solan the Great

the fact that he still maintains that it would have been a penalty anyways is the worst part. Look at the picture below. It reminds me of a scene out of the Omen.

DuffleKing

imtommygunn

Nally stand you'd make a good tabloid journalist pulling all those quotes out.

It would be more interesting to see the context of each of the quotes.

Hound

At least he's admitted it wasn't a proper goal, although his caveat lessens his admission. Whether the ref would have given a pen anyway is irrelevant.

I firmly believe Meath make a big tactical error in not awarding the replay. The players showed in both their attitude to the replay and their attitude in the 2nd half of Kildare that they were quite happy with their Leinster medals, however devalued.

omagh_gael

Joe Sheridan didn't cheat, he pulled a fast one and got away with it. Players from all counties do the same and aren't labelled cheats.

Still can't see a penalty in the whole scmozzle though.

Jinxy

Listen, in a world where frees are awarded for the slightest physical contact it's not unreasonable he would think he was fouled.

Nally Stand

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 08, 2010, 04:21:16 PM
Nally stand you'd make a good tabloid journalist pulling all those quotes out.

It would be more interesting to see the context of each of the quotes.

I can see what you are saying but to be fair I have read the article twice and the quotes are not taken out of context. The quotes I gave just show the crux of his attitude after having all this time to reflect. Granted there are plenty of quotes I could put in where he would come across as Mr Nice Guy but as far as his attitude to the events that day, the quotes above summarise the message he obviously wanted to get across when he gave the interview. And as another poster says, the fact that he still laughably maintains that he should have been awarded a penalty says it all.

As for those who say he didn't cheat and that these things happen, well...I know it's been asked many times before but I wonder what all those people had to say about the baul Terry Henry or how many of them joined facebook groups like "Henry is a cheating Cnut" or "Petition to have the Ireland France Game replayed".
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Dinny Breen

I respect him for giving his opinion in a national newspaper, he's entitled to it, I might not agree with his sentiment but if one can't respect another's opinion well then what does that say about that person....
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Anyone who compares what Joe Sheridan did to what Thierry Henry did has no credibility.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Jinxy on August 08, 2010, 07:30:18 PM
Anyone who compares what Joe Sheridan did to what Thierry Henry did has no credibility.
Exactly, Henry had the decency to act embarrassed.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?