Tyrone v Dublin for a place in the aisf. Omagh

Started by rrhf, July 15, 2018, 09:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Quote from: Hound on July 19, 2018, 11:50:46 AM
Quote from: trailer on July 19, 2018, 09:51:54 AM
Doubts creeping in. Come on! We have ye's now..... Hopefully.

There is also the very important aspect that we did hammer yis this time last year! Now that could be a good or bad thing for either side (Dubs: confidence that we're simply the better team / overconfidence - Tyrone: determined to do better / heads down if go behind early).

While league may very well count for nothing, in the league games where Tyrone have matched us in recent years, it has mainly been inability to take scores that has cost you against us. And it's cost you in other bigger games too. Despite the big scores you've been racking up, I'd still count that as a Tyrone concern, i.e. being able to take scores at crucial times. Although you do seem much improved.

Agreed - One of our major problems in recent years is free kick take conversion. We need a free kick robot like Dean Rock!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Hound on July 19, 2018, 09:34:03 AM
Connolly was absolutely key to winning the All Ireland last year. Gavin didn't want to bring him on but was big enough to realise we weren't going to win without him (and we wouldn't have). The question is whether there is anyone this year as good as Mayo were last year in that final.

While Howard and Scully deservedly got a lot of praise for their performances last week, what has been lost among all the nonsense about the 10 last minutes of the Donegal game, is how below par Dublin were overall. Con's worst game in a Dublin jersey. Probably Kilkenny's worst game too (scored 1 point from 6 shots). Mannion didnt get a kick. They were the 3 guys supposed to get all our scores from play, but got one between them.

Fenton was very good in the second half, but he had a poor first half. O'Sullivan played like someone who hadnt started a game in a long time. We lost a heap of ball cheaply. We weren't good. But Donegal were worse. Unable to capitalise on our performance. I'd say partly due to no McBrearty, partly due to us not allowing McHugh free reign, and partly due to them not having a positive enough approach. 

So for Dublin, it'll be whether that will be a kick up the backside we need, or whether there is the start of a slow downward spiral. We do have Costello to come in for one of the 3 misfiring lads and he seems to be hot. Kev Mac dependable to make an impact too. Please jaysus we won't see O'Gara, but Gavin sometimes seems to think he's suited to Tyrone.

Playing without an orthodox full back since O'Carroll left has never caught us out. But if other teams can get us 2-on-2 the way Donegal did (thankfully Murphy was never one of those 2), we will eventually pay as we've no defender particularly good under a high ball.

Connolly's influence in last years final is overrated and is growing legs. Dublin haven't performed to the best of their ability in any of the All Ireland finals under Jim Gavin. Last weekend was a similar type of performance, plenty of good individuals not playing well but the team getting the job done without impressing. I think this could be the year that Dublin finally click in All Ireland final and win by a bit to spare which hasn't happened since the 70s.

Hound

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 19, 2018, 12:25:26 PM
Connolly was absolutely key to winning the All Ireland last year. Gavin didn't want to bring him on but was big enough to realise we weren't going to win without him (and we wouldn't have). The question is whether there is anyone this year as good as Mayo were last year in that final.

While Howard and Scully deservedly got a lot of praise for their performances last week, what has been lost among all the nonsense about the 10 last minutes of the Donegal game, is how below par Dublin were overall. Con's worst game in a Dublin jersey. Probably Kilkenny's worst game too (scored 1 point from 6 shots). Mannion didnt get a kick. They were the 3 guys supposed to get all our scores from play, but got one between them.

Fenton was very good in the second half, but he had a poor first half. O'Sullivan played like someone who hadnt started a game in a long time. We lost a heap of ball cheaply. We weren't good. But Donegal were worse. Unable to capitalise on our performance. I'd say partly due to no McBrearty, partly due to us not allowing McHugh free reign, and partly due to them not having a positive enough approach. 

So for Dublin, it'll be whether that will be a kick up the backside we need, or whether there is the start of a slow downward spiral. We do have Costello to come in for one of the 3 misfiring lads and he seems to be hot. Kev Mac dependable to make an impact too. Please jaysus we won't see O'Gara, but Gavin sometimes seems to think he's suited to Tyrone.

Playing without an orthodox full back since O'Carroll left has never caught us out. But if other teams can get us 2-on-2 the way Donegal did (thankfully Murphy was never one of those 2), we will eventually pay as we've no defender particularly good under a high ball.

Connolly's influence in last years final is overrated and is growing legs. Dublin haven't performed to the best of their ability in any of the All Ireland finals under Jim Gavin. Last weekend was a similar type of performance, plenty of good individuals not playing well but the team getting the job done without impressing. I think this could be the year that Dublin finally click in All Ireland final and win by a bit to spare which hasn't happened since the 70s.
Well, having been there and watched it in full twice in the following few days, it was my opinion that his contribution was crucial, but it's all about opinions and I could be biased towards Diarmo.

I did think at one stage this year that this could be a handy All Ireland, in that we could win every game handily enough. I don't think that now. But if it does work out that way, I don't think it'll be because we've improved on previous years.

Under Lights

DUBSFORSAM1

Dublin had an extremely poor performance last week against Donegal. Apart from Howard, Rock and McCarthy I don't think a single Dublin player played at even 80% of their capability and yet won without difficulty and missed a ridiculous amount of chances against the Ulster champions.

If for no other reason than to shut up all the people who say Dublin only win because of Croke Park I hope Dublin go out and repeat last years result.

JoG2

no it's not..they simply wouldn't have won it without him coming on. Dublin were a completely different team with him in the 2nd half, chalk and cheese. Mayo were blowing them away until Connolly was introduced.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 19, 2018, 09:53:27 AM

I was listening to Parkinson's podcast and he mentioned a stat that fits the highlighted bits very well. Dublin were turned over 15 times on Saturday and only turned Donegal on half as many occasions. This indicates that Donegal should be kicking themselves that they didn't get something from the game, especially considering the form of Kilkenny et al.

I still think Dublin will win this but my only morsel of hope is the Dubs will have a below par performance and give up possession like they did on Saturday. Donegal have a better attack than us (when McBrearty is there), however, we are a better team at turning ball over, and more importantly hurting teams on the break.

Should be a good game. My thoughts on team are along these lines:

Morgan
Hampsey
McNamee
McKernan
McCann
Burns
Harte
Colm
McShane
Donnelly
Sludden
Meyler
Bradley
Ritchy D
McAliskey

17-11 according to this

Captain Obvious

Quote from: JoG2 on July 19, 2018, 02:01:57 PM

no it's not..they simply wouldn't have won it without him coming on. Dublin were a completely different team with him in the 2nd half, chalk and cheese. Mayo were blowing them away until Connolly was introduced.

You see this is the type of overrating I am talking about. Mayo led by one point before Connolly was introduced. Donal Vaughan foolishly getting himself sent off was the biggest influence on that final.

JoG2

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 19, 2018, 02:31:32 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 19, 2018, 02:01:57 PM

You see this is the type of overrating I am talking about. Mayo led by one point before Connolly was introduced. Donal Vaughan foolishly getting himself sent off was the biggest influence on that final.

Mayo will rue the fact that they went in only a score up when they were much superior to Dublin until Connolly was introduced.

inthrough

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 19, 2018, 01:39:33 PM
Dublin had an extremely poor performance last week against Donegal. Apart from Howard, Rock and McCarthy I don't think a single Dublin player played at even 80% of their capability and yet won without difficulty and missed a ridiculous amount of chances against the Ulster champions.

If for no other reason than to shut up all the people who say Dublin only win because of Croke Park I hope Dublin go out and repeat last years result.
You guys keep missing the point, Dublin are a great team & would, most likely, win no matter where they played. The problem we have is with Croke Park who keep loading the dice against everyone else in the interests of making money.

If we have a problem with Dubs it is that they keep defending the indefensible & say that nothing is wrong.

trileacman

The Dubs playing so poorly and yet still winning so easily pours cold water on the idea that the juggernaut is falling back into the trailing pack. Scully and Howard's preformance show that the Dublin poor mouthing of "once in a lifetime generation" isn't going to cut it either.

Can't believe the hype built around this Tyrone team in only 12 short months since a humiliation by Dublin. Our tactics are pretty much the "Harte system" plus Ritchie Donnelly. To date we haven't beaten a single division 1 team in championship 2018 yet you're all dreaming of a Tyrone win.

Where does your optimism spring from?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Rossfan

Will Dublin be abiding by the 4 steps rule Saturday?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyHarp

Quote from: trileacman on July 19, 2018, 03:10:23 PM
The Dubs playing so poorly and yet still winning so easily pours cold water on the idea that the juggernaut is falling back into the trailing pack. Scully and Howard's preformance show that the Dublin poor mouthing of "once in a lifetime generation" isn't going to cut it either.

Can't believe the hype built around this Tyrone team in only 12 short months since a humiliation by Dublin. Our tactics are pretty much the "Harte system" plus Ritchie Donnelly. To date we haven't beaten a single division 1 team in championship 2018 yet you're all dreaming of a Tyrone win.

Where does your optimism spring from?

That's one way of looking at it. Alternatively we've spent the best part of 2-3 years hammering nearly everyone who is outside the top 3 in the country and bar last years annihilation by Dublin, we competed quite well v Mayo and Kerry. So one very bad performance in the best part of 3 years is the focus for everyones doom and gloom. Maybe, just maybe, the Dubs were at the absolute top of their game last summer and would have hammered anyone that day. Maybe we just weren't prepared for the Dubs to rip apart our gameplan and had no plan b. Maybe we weren't quite as bad as last year looked and with a years progression and at home we might just be a little bit closer this time around with (hopefully) an adjusted gameplan and a few upgrades on the pitch. Or maybe we will get hammered out the gate again - but sure wheres the craic in being so pessimistic?
That was never a square ball!!

Fuzzman

Many would say Dublin really peaked last year v Tyrone as in that was their best performance for years
Tyrone could get know where near them as they moved the ball so fast from side to side until an opening occurred.
In the final they did not have to perform to that level.

Dublin knew that for a year or two all the media and country were asking is this Tyrone system the one to make the breakthrough with Dublin and they really rose to the challenge.
I'm hoping they fall back a bit this time in their efforts and don't have the same hunger to work so hard.

Tyrone surely will have to give it their all in this game and throw the kitchen sink at them. They know they cannot go into the last game away to Donegal hoping to win there. If we beat the Dubs at all, surely a low points defeat in Donegal will be enough with our high score difference after Roscommon.

There is a chat show on in Sallys at 2pm and then another one in Rue Main Street at 3.30pm if anyone is about.