Club Managers Money

Started by Captain Scarlet, December 19, 2017, 01:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tippabu

Conor counihan managing arravale rovers in tipp this year, can't imagine he is cheap. Will be interesting to see how they go, they'd just be that next level down from commercials, moyle Rovers and loughmore

oliverkelly

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 15, 2018, 12:54:22 AM
I have heard it suggested that Justin McNulty, MLA is getting a fortune for managing Killeavy

£400 a week i heard off a club member who i have dealings with through work.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: DuffleKing on January 14, 2018, 11:43:44 PM
Quote from: tiempo on January 14, 2018, 10:05:33 PM
Out of interest what would you expect to pay a trained PT taking a group of 6 lads through some weights and a circuit for 90mins a session?

90 min gym sessions? The only thing I'd be giving that boy is the road

Correct. 75 minutes max. Including warmup and cool down.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Milltown Row2

A clubman who looks after the team should not have to pay for his fuel and telphone calls.. and thats for any team
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Targetman

Quote from: oliverkelly on January 15, 2018, 12:03:01 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 15, 2018, 12:54:22 AM
I have heard it suggested that Justin McNulty, MLA is getting a fortune for managing Killeavy

£400 a week i heard off a club member who i have dealings with through work.
Its all for the love of the game!!

JoG2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 17, 2018, 01:26:08 PM
A clubman who looks after the team should not have to pay for his fuel and telphone calls.. and thats for any team

You either want to do it or not. Most communication is on WhatsApp (messages and calls) and would most not have a tonne of minutes included? Fuel wise, why should managers / coaches get fuel when everyone else drives to training or carpool to training / games. Personally,  I wouldn't take a bean from the club.. Most struggle to make ends meet as it is.
Bar the mercenary brigade, the vast majority know (outside reg, lotto and the like) , being part of a team will cost you money (and every brownie point you have!).

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JoG2 on January 17, 2018, 06:21:53 PM

You either want to do it or not. Most communication is on WhatsApp (messages and calls) and would most not have a tonne of minutes included? Fuel wise, why should managers / coaches get fuel when everyone else drives to training or carpool to training / games. Personally,  I wouldn't take a bean from the club.. Most struggle to make ends meet as it is.
Bar the mercenary brigade, the vast majority know (outside reg, lotto and the like) , being part of a team will cost you money (and every brownie point you have!).

You could be spending £30 a week on normal fuel for just training sessions.. so for instance if I use myself as a example I'm 30 mile round trip to my club, two nights a week minimum training, plus weekend training or games, challenge games would be away generally and then you're into your season, depending on how long your season goes you are talking at least £1500 quid on fuel alone for the year..

You talk about WhatsApp and whatever, it's not like that either, it's about calling loads of people not just players who can be needy feckers! Your club Sec, chairman, your trainers and arranging other crap.

trust me I've been there, many times.. if you do it right you give up a lot of your time and your families time, add in that extra cost. Why should you do it and be out of pocket also?

And you're not going to make money BTW
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Therealdonald

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 17, 2018, 08:45:35 PM

You could be spending £30 a week on normal fuel for just training sessions.. so for instance if I use myself as a example I'm 30 mile round trip to my club, two nights a week minimum training, plus weekend training or games, challenge games would be away generally and then you're into your season, depending on how long your season goes you are talking at least £1500 quid on fuel alone for the year..

You talk about WhatsApp and whatever, it's not like that either, it's about calling loads of people not just players who can be needy feckers! Your club Sec, chairman, your trainers and arranging other crap.

trust me I've been there, many times.. if you do it right you give up a lot of your time and your families time, add in that extra cost. Why should you do it and be out of pocket also?

Can't agree MR. Don't think any clubman should take money from their own club. Should the chairman get paid? I'd imagine hos volume of calls would be fairly high too and his time away from the family as well.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on January 17, 2018, 09:02:39 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 17, 2018, 08:45:35 PM

Surely you made the same 30 mile round journey to training as a player also? Why would you be reimbursed as a manager but not as a player?

I only used me as an example I've taken many teams within the club senior through to under 12, never took money .. came in one year after being asked as they didn't have anyone, I said if the football manager is being covered for fuel then surely so should the hurling manager, it wasn't agreed and I stepped down, not because of the money but purely on principle..

Hardstation try your hand at senior management, when you do that I'll listen. A player turns up trains goes home, plays match on Sunday goes home!

Manager, puts plans in place, pre season he sorts out indoor training at a school or church hall carries out training drills, organises training programs weight programs individually set, speaks to dieticians to encourage healthy diet.. deals with equipment, is there enough hurling balls,  spare sticks, gear washed.. nets up and nets down, flags out on pitch, making sure pitch it cut or playable.. dealing with players who feel they have to have an input into selections! Taking criticism from clubmen who hurled 40 years ago, manager is thinking about the next match selection wondering who's away on a flipping stag weekend during the league! I could go on, being a player is a gift, being a manager is not, the rewards can be fantastic and I've sampled some, but they are few..

Being a chairman or a Sec is a thankless task also, wouldn't touch it unless I was retired to be honest

Targetman

Can't agree with a clubman taking money from his own club for managing the team, would only cause ill feelings and resentment in some quarters, these boys that do the managerial merry go round every year are definitely in it for the money and I suppose if they're getting it fair play to them, but some of the dough being paid is ridiculous!!

Minder

Have never heard of a clubman getting a penny for managing a team, it just wouldn't even be mentioned. I remember a load of us travelled from Belfast  (90 mile round trip) for training when we were playing and the club offered us a tenner for fuel and nobody would take it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Like I said I wasn't paid... but I seen people getting expenses.. plenty clubs have benefactors who do this.

Minder no one asked you to play you did it cause you wanted to, we've done plenty trips to, Westmeath, Dublin, and other places as far as players, never give it a second thought.. management is different. As i said to Hardstation, try it

Milltown Row2

You haven't read my post have you?

I'll spell it out again, I've managed at least 5 different teams within the club, never paid until I found out the football set up got expenses for travel, so I asked the question after I was asked to become manager,  should there be a difference?

Now if a member of the committee was getting money would you step down?

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 17, 2018, 10:10:49 PM
Like I said I wasn't paid... but I seen people getting expenses.. plenty clubs have benefactors who do this.

Minder no one asked you to play you did it cause you wanted to, we've done plenty trips to, Westmeath, Dublin, and other places as far as players, never give it a second thought.. management is different. As i said to Hardstation, try it

You don't need to have "tried it" to know & have an appreciation for what's involved & I am not talking about "getting paid" I'm talking about expenses. I know all the fellas that did it in my time. They all went in with their eyes wide open & managed us more than once (that's as much to do with a lack of people being interested & is another debate) Not one ever mentioned travel expenses or petrol money as an issue. One of them worked all round Ireland one of the years and regularly took half days to drive to training from the south.

Everyone & every club is different though.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

And that's fair enough as I did it myself for many years, and no doubts will be back to do it when I want to...

But I can see where people shouldn't have to be out of pocket, eyes wide open or not. Time isn't the same any more unfortunately and covering travel is ok...

My travel is covered for refereeing and I've never heard of people complaining about that