Club Managers Money

Started by Captain Scarlet, December 19, 2017, 01:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

I see Michael Foley and Christy O'Connor have updated their study from a few years ago.
Money isn't as high but there are still lots paying nice chunks of change to lads from outside.

http://www.offtheball.com/podcasts/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/59006/The_Price_of_GAA_Club_Success

Just looking in Kildare there seems to be a trend for more homegrown and when you see a 32-year-old in-house man in the form of Ross Glavin win a Leinster Club with Moorefield it might focus the minds a bit.
We have a good spread of counties on here and, it is that time of year, so how is it with your club. Are there lads being brought in or are funds being watched more than Celtic Tiger times?

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on December 19, 2017, 01:22:22 PM
I see Michael Foley and Christy O'Connor have updated their study from a few years ago.
Money isn't as high but there are still lots paying nice chunks of change to lads from outside.

http://www.offtheball.com/podcasts/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/59006/The_Price_of_GAA_Club_Success

Just looking in Kildare there seems to be a trend for more homegrown and when you see a 32-year-old in-house man in the form of Ross Glavin win a Leinster Club with Moorefield it might focus the minds a bit.
We have a good spread of counties on here and, it is that time of year, so how is it with your club. Are there lads being brought in or are funds being watched more than Celtic Tiger times?

Moorefield mightn't be the best example :)

Captain Scarlet

Ah I know he has his 'helper' but still a lad who will be there for a while. Elsewhere in Kildare you have Glenn Ryan, Brian Flanagan and Karl Ennis who are all former Lilywhites with their own club.

Honestly just wondering what the scene is like in other counties here. There were mad stories in boom times. i know one club who were always within a whisker of winning IFC. Their local manager thought they needed to kick on so they paid BIG cash to a former county star from another county.
He didn't even know all the players names and was ran half-way through the year.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 19, 2017, 01:25:31 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on December 19, 2017, 01:22:22 PM

Moorefield mightn't be the best example :)

Of course they are not. Luke Dempsey trained them for 2 years. A man who currently trains the biggest rivals of his own club. Money talks.
However, they are currently a good example that you don't necessarily need a big name from outside to achieve success.
There are very few managers who are worth what clubs throw at them. Very few.

Ty4Sam

Do any clubs pay their own club men to manage their senior team? Or is it outsider's only that get paid.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Ty4Sam on December 19, 2017, 02:27:51 PM
Do any clubs pay their own club men to manage their senior team? Or is it outsider's only that get paid.

I find in Tyrone the cycle seems to be, get the club man in after the paid outsider leaves/gets the boot. Club man doesn't tend to get paid lots, instead he's 'answering the call'.

Club man tends to leave at the end of that year and the cycle begins again.

My own club paid their own men the same as what the outsider got in the last instance of this until the end of the term but I know of many who take on the challenge to get their break / sense of duty.

Dinny Breen

My club manager is paid but a lot less he would command if he put himself on the market.

Any manager doing a proper job is putting in a minimum 20 hours a week.  Training (planning, running) Matches, Analysis, Team Meetings, Management Meetings, endless phone calls to coaches, player and administrators. Not to mention family, work and business sacrifices. Managing a team now is not like "Back in the day", it's very rewarding emotionally when things are going well but when they are not, it's a very very lonely job.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on December 19, 2017, 01:37:19 PM
Elsewhere in Kildare you have Glenn Ryan, Brian Flanagan and Karl Ennis who are all former Lilywhites with their own club.

Damien Hendy (Castledermot) and Karl O'Dwyer (Rathangan) too.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Karl O'Dwyer being a Rathangan man is stretching it slightly, I doubt he played more than a handful of games for them in 98 before Towers landed him.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on December 19, 2017, 01:37:19 PM
Honestly just wondering what the scene is like in other counties here. There were mad stories in boom times. i know one club who were always within a whisker of winning IFC. Their local manager thought they needed to kick on so they paid BIG cash to a former county star from another county.
He didn't even know all the players names and was ran half-way through the year.

An expensive manager/mercenary came good for them in the end though. They may be the club who spent €50k on managers while building dressing rooms mentioned in the podcast.

oliverkelly

St Brigids Roscommon next year will be paying all their management team, Manager Frankie Dolan and Selectors Shane Curran and Mark O'Carroll all lads who played with them and won an All Ireland with them a few years ago.

My own Club Clann Na nGeal will be paying one out of a joint management team. Both local lads as well. Thats two examples of inside clubmen charging "Expenses"

Rossfan

There are expenses and there are "Expenses".
I was shocked to hear the figure a small club in a neighbouring County paid an outside manager this year.
Pity all that money couldn't be put into player retention and facilities.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

brokencrossbar1

We still appoint in House and have no outside coach this year at all. We have had a fitness coach for the last number of years but not anymore. All management free of charge.

I honestly don't know how anyone could take money from their own club

Brick Tamlin

Home club or not, If youre doing the thing right and putting the amount of hours required I don't see how anyone could do it for nathin.
Players demand standards and if you deliver those standards regardless of win/lose/draw then its a savage workload for any man.

shawshank

Slaughtneil haven't had an inside manager in the three codes they are currently Ulster champions  in years. In football you would have to go back to the early 90s as the last time they has an inside manager