Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

guys i would love to get my ass in gear and train for at least a half marathon (i feel a full marathon may be a bit much to start with). does either the dublin or belfast marathons offer a half marathon registration?

naka

Quote from: lurganblue on June 23, 2009, 09:02:43 AM
guys i would love to get my ass in gear and train for at least a half marathon (i feel a full marathon may be a bit much to start with). does either the dublin or belfast marathons offer a half marathon registration?
a good start is the armagh 10 mile which is towards the end of sept /early oct,
it takes place on a sunday morning  and th eroute takes you through the countryside close to navan fort

jjjshabadoojnr

Quote from: stevo-08 on June 21, 2009, 04:50:38 PM
Quote from: stevo-08 on June 18, 2009, 08:59:00 PM
If i did it in 1hr40 (25 swim, 45 bike, 25 run + few mins in transitions), then i'd be delighted. But it's my first tri, so in truth could take me anywhere between 1h40 - 2hrs.

Well, I completed the course in 1hr 28mins (23 swim, 40 T1+Bike, 1.26 T2, 23 Run).
Absolutely delighted with that. The swim as expected was a disaster, but huge room for improvement.

How did you get on jjjshabadoo??

Great days craic and very well organised. Roll on Ballina in 3 weeks, which is an easier route so hopefully I can better my time.

Jasus fair play stevo 08, you got on better than you expected. If you could get swim time down youd be flyin! I came in just ahead of ya, i thought i could hear hooves and flared nostrils coming up by the gatelodge. Got just under 1hr 27 mins. Swim 18 mins T1 and Bike 44,  Run 22.5. Nearly gave up on the swim. Got to first buoy feeling good , when I eventually looked up found out I had drifted off course by a good thirty metres  heading into shore!!! panic set in and started thrashing like a lunatic. Swallowed several mouthfulls of saltwater. Then managed to spend id say three minutes in transition, legs like jelly. Running out with me bike and marshal turned me back cause I forgot my Number belt!! Just wanted to give up there and then. Only started feeling good again about half way through the run. All in all very enjoyable experience!! Will know what to expect for the next one now. Hopefully wont let the nerves get the better of me and spend less time on the jacks before next one!!

dec

Quote from: ONeill on June 18, 2009, 12:14:15 AM
The fcukers have me down at 58 on the website. That probably includes waiting for a minute and a half at the start before actually moving.
If you look at the results you will see 2 times.  00:58:44 and 00:56:53. The first is the time from when the gun went, the second is the chip time recorded from when you crossed the start line.

stevo-08

Quote from: jjjshabadoojnr on June 26, 2009, 04:10:23 PM

Jasus fair play stevo 08, you got on better than you expected. If you could get swim time down youd be flyin! I came in just ahead of ya, i thought i could hear hooves and flared nostrils coming up by the gatelodge. Got just under 1hr 27 mins. Swim 18 mins T1 and Bike 44,  Run 22.5. Nearly gave up on the swim. Got to first buoy feeling good , when I eventually looked up found out I had drifted off course by a good thirty metres  heading into shore!!! panic set in and started thrashing like a lunatic. Swallowed several mouthfulls of saltwater. Then managed to spend id say three minutes in transition, legs like jelly. Running out with me bike and marshal turned me back cause I forgot my Number belt!! Just wanted to give up there and then. Only started feeling good again about half way through the run. All in all very enjoyable experience!! Will know what to expect for the next one now. Hopefully wont let the nerves get the better of me and spend less time on the jacks before next one!!

Cheers for that, Yea was well delighted with the time. My goal for next year is to improve big time on the swim, no reason why I cant do that in under 20mins. I know how you felt about drifting off course - I kept doing that in all the training swims, so my plan for the tri was to look up every few strokes to make sure I was heading the right direction. But goggles fogged up and couldnt see a thing, I ended up stopping every few metres to make sure I wasnt miles off course. Nearly last out of the water but must have overtaken half the field on the bike, i just put the foot down.

Thats a very impressive time you got especially after the panic in the swim. Fair play.

As you say, with that bit of experience behind us we'll be much better prepared next year - and we'll rip the course apart  ;D

Mayo4Sam

wet the goggles & then a little bit of spit, stops the fog
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

imtommygunn

Lurganblue dublin has a half in september. I'm contemplating doing it if I'm injury free.

Belfast has no half. Larne and Omagh have half marathons close to the belfast one. Derry has one in september the week before dublin too. There's also an ards half marathon but I've heard scrabo may be on it so it's best avoided if that's the case... (Winning time 23 minutes for a 3k race up it which tels the story)

Check out this site for fixtures:
http://www.niathletics.org/

Mayo4Sam

How'd u go yesterday steve? Was hoping for sub 1:20, so was more than a little disappointed with 1:27
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

stevo-08

Was very happy Mayo4Sam, did it in 1:21 dead - swim 15:22, cycle 37:43, run 24:50. Although the official time had me down as 1:28 - Myself & my wife wanted to do the event together but we were in different waves. So i decided to start in wave 2 instead of wave 1. It messed up my official time but didnt matter as it meant that we crossed the finish line together, which was just great.

great day and well organised. blessed with the weather. i was marshalling at the all ireland metal man triathlon in rosses point this morning and didnt envy the athletes - absolutely horrendous conditions for the 1500m swim.

1:27 is still a very good time M4S, although i can understand your disappointed if you were aiming for an impressive sub 1:20. The cycle out to bonniconlon was tough, and i was also very disappointed with my run time - i thought we ran at a good pace so was surprised when I saw my time as 24:50. Maybe it's longer that 5k, i dont know.

tyroneboi

I have been clocking up the miles in the past month to 6 weeks and was interested in entering a 10k race pretty soon. Does anyone know of any races coming up during the summer that I could enter? Have tried searching the net for upcoming races but couldn't find many for Northern Ireland. I did see Cookstown have a half marathon at the end of this month but that will probably come too soon for me.

imtommygunn

I suppose it depends on the area you're from but there  seems to be things like crawsfordsburn trail race, a 10k in downpatrick and a few 5 milers about the place.

You've two options for fixtures:
1. niathletics http://www.niathletics.org/opencontent/default.asp?itemId=15
2. nimra (not for the faint hearted) http://www.nimra.org.uk/calendar.asp (snowdown international is coming up...)

I'm not sure there'd be many races on, apart from maybe in local summer festivals or the like, which aren't on these calendars.

The summer from July on can be quiet enough.

Quagmire

There's a half marathon and 10km fun run on in Derry on the 12th Sept Tyroneboi, there was chat about it in work the other day. I think the details are on the City website, I don't know the address but there's always google for that if you were interested?

sam03/05

tyroneboi

Quote from: Quagmire on July 14, 2009, 09:21:18 PM
There's a half marathon and 10km fun run on in Derry on the 12th Sept Tyroneboi, there was chat about it in work the other day. I think the details are on the City website, I don't know the address but there's always google for that if you were interested?

Thanks for that. Might enter that one or else the Dublin Half Marathon which is two weeks after the Waterside run. Think having a race to focus on will be better because it can be quite tough to get out running in the evenings after coming in from work.

Quagmire

I know what you mean, I find running very tedious if you're just doing it for the sake of it. You need the focus. Good luck with it anyway!