Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamboo

Took you boys advice and set on Thursday for a run at a pace that was barely a light jog with the intention of seeing could i go for an hour and hopefully get min. 6k in. Ended up doing 10k in 1hr 07mins which i was more than happy with so thanks for that. Felt as though i could've kept going but decided not to be a hero just yet!

Took part in the parkrun yesterday. Rained overnight in London so course was very muddy and slippery underfoot, lots of people fell and there was a lot of jostling and people cutting you up as they tried to avoid puddles,mud etc. Ground was really heavy and i got round in 29mins flat which wasn't great but at least it's a starting point.

333 people took part, an exact split of 2:1 in favour of males. I finished in pos.219. I'm pretty sure the numbers will dwindle as the weeks go by so should be a more enjoyable run. Quite a few courses round the area so will try out a few different ones over the next few months.

Milltown Row2

Did six miles earlier today. Had my GPS watch on so was checking pace. 45 mins flat. Was chuffed and noticed my pace was quicker a mile in. Thats me getting ready for the Larne half marathon.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I would use garmin hrm. If you do a lot of gymwork check the equipment and you should be able to get the heart rate monitor with no watch. Depends on frequencies...

As far as polar watches go i don't know much about them. I was considering a garmin 610 but on reading reviews they seem to use cheap metal that brings a lot of peoples wrists out. In a rash. :-\

Karl Kennedy

Basically I am after a polar HRM with GPS that records my distance covered, HR while running.

I also want to be able to use it in gym or even during circuits to be aware of how hard I am working by looking at my HR.

I have had a basic Polar watch before so it's time to upgrade.

Mayo4Sam

The Garmin is a great job, I use the HRM for turbo training.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Bingo

Never used anything other than a Garmin and have had no bother including the battery, easy to charge overnight.

Getting a few good runs in this weather, building up again for the marathon in April. Weather not great for it, it that the roads are a no-no but managing on the track and in the local forest park.

Actually ran yesterday morning with a blind man (95% - has lost his vision over the years, he payed football in his day) vision, I ran as his guide, was first time doing it and we had a great run, just over 5 miles round a loop route in the local park. His memory is top class and he was familiar with part of the run and was able to adjust before i called it. A very strong runner who ran Dublin marathon on 3.19 this year.

Orior

I slogged around the Waterworks Parkrun on Saturday. Was anyone else from here, there?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rois

Not me this time - made the decision on Fri night that I wasn't getting up for it when I saw the snow.
Bro in law did it, said he couldn't really get going but he did a pretty decent time (for him).
I did, however, beat my parkrun PB on the running machine in the gym  :)

Milltown Row2

Fair weather runner me self!!

Like Rois I also went to the gym and stayed away from the snowy paths of the Waterworks, will be giving them a pounding in Feb though.

Was there a good crowd braving the weather?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I did the queens one on saturday. There's a lot of corners in it so the snow slows you down a bit.

70 odd did the waterworks so not bad considering. 30 odd did queens.

Friday was horrendous for running but it has been grand since then. Just back from a run on the towpath and it's perfectly fine to run on.

Rois

I was wondering about footwear and running in the snow - I bought a pair of nice Salomon shoes in the summer for hiking that were described as a cross between a trail running shoe and an approach shoe.  Would they be the right things to wear if there was snow on the ground?  The FB page mentioned trail shoes on Fri  night so I was half tempted to give them a go but didn't want to look like a numpty who was running in hiking shoes.  They are pretty light so thought they might be OK - any thoughts? 

imtommygunn

A lot of people there would probably be wearing those kind of shoes anyway Rois so I wouldn't say you've anything to worry about.

They're the kind of shoes people would tend to wear running up mountains etc.

Bingo

On any kind of uneven, hilly, muddy, slushy, dirty trails or surfaces I wear a pair of Aiscs Trail shoes/runners - sole is hard but soft enough to run it. They great in this weather and I used them at weekend. Never failed with them.

Mayo4Sam

Doing the Malahide Parkrun on Saturday, first shot at breaking 20, have given myself until mid-march to do it but would like to get it out of the way early! Feel like I should be there or there abouts, hopefully there's no snow, just nice and crisp
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Bingo on January 21, 2013, 03:07:00 PM
On any kind of uneven, hilly, muddy, slushy, dirty trails or surfaces I wear a pair of Aiscs Trail shoes/runners - sole is hard but soft enough to run it. They great in this weather and I used them at weekend. Never failed with them.

Am off the running this week, damaged muscles behind my shin last week, doing a 10 miler, hurts like f**k....went to the physio this morning, just a strain but it needs a weeks rest, i went to a a major sports chain last week and they did a "video analysis" of my run, they recommended a pair of runners with Arch support...... The physio told me i don't need arch support and the runners recommended were totally wrong for my feet. She claimed that a lot of sports shops are changing peoples footwear based on a video....... bringing back the shoes tomorrow and getting a different pair..........God help the "running expert" if she is there tomorrow, lesson learned by me...........