Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Milltown if ur a swimmer then I think you've the best start, it's easy to improve on the others.

I do a good few and the key things to look out for in the first one are the start, basically a washing machine, some lads go daft swinging elbows, uncalled for but it can knock u off ur stride.
Kick hard before transition 1, stops dizziness, on the bike it's all about hills, when u get training on the bike get out on them. Practice is key when changing from bike to run, the first few times its real tough. Every time u go out on the bike u should do a couple of km running.

Where is it? Good luck
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 25, 2012, 06:42:06 PM
Milltown if ur a swimmer then I think you've the best start, it's easy to improve on the others.

I do a good few and the key things to look out for in the first one are the start, basically a washing machine, some lads go daft swinging elbows, uncalled for but it can knock u off ur stride.
Kick hard before transition 1, stops dizziness, on the bike it's all about hills, when u get training on the bike get out on them. Practice is key when changing from bike to run, the first few times its real tough. Every time u go out on the bike u should do a couple of km running.

Where is it? Good luck

Valley Leisure Center, Newtownabbey. Seems to be a right few events still available. The swim is at the pool so no open water yet. So it shouldn't be too crazy with the pool antics.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Went running monday night and tonight after not doing it for a few weeks.
I'm fecking broke up, every bone and joint in my body is killing me and I'm as stiff as a poker.
I didn't feel this bad when I first started so why now?
Is there anything I can do or is it just a matter of keeping at it and working through the pain?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

haranguerer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 25, 2012, 07:52:04 PM

Where is it? Good luck

Valley Leisure Center, Newtownabbey. Seems to be a right few events still available. The swim is at the pool so no open water yet. So it shouldn't be too crazy with the pool antics.

How does it work Milltown? Is there a limit on the number that can do it, or staggered starts? Wouldnt imagine a pool could hold too many unless they have no lanes and let everyone work away, in which case it would be a lot worse than open water!!

I'm looking to get into triathlons myself, and it sounds like a perfect event to do so, but is probably too close for, and will be at football right up until then too which isnt ideal

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on July 25, 2012, 10:21:31 PM
Went running monday night and tonight after not doing it for a few weeks.
I'm fecking broke up, every bone and joint in my body is killing me and I'm as stiff as a poker.
I didn't feel this bad when I first started so why now?
Is there anything I can do or is it just a matter of keeping at it and working through the pain?

Just work through it, was away for a few weeks on hols, came back and went to the gym and did thursday, Friday and Sat morning!! was aching and sore, struggled through and went again Monday and Wed morning. Feeling grand now, and looking forward to getting back into the routine again.

Good stretching and hit the pool if you can afterwards. But stretching is important
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: haranguerer on July 25, 2012, 10:36:36 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 25, 2012, 07:52:04 PM

Where is it? Good luck

How does it work Milltown? Is there a limit on the number that can do it, or staggered starts? Wouldnt imagine a pool could hold too many unless they have no lanes and let everyone work away, in which case it would be a lot worse than open water!!

I'm looking to get into triathlons myself, and it sounds like a perfect event to do so, but is probably too close for, and will be at football right up until then too which isnt ideal

Its a staggered race I believe, they have asked what times you can do in the swim beforehand and how many minutes you can do the run in when I registered. I think the sprint triathlons are the perfect start for beginners but the thing is that there will be strong competitors there who'll be looking to do 13 minute swims, 18 minute runs and 16/20 minute cycles!!

I'm looking to do 28 minute swim, 30/35 bike and 25 minute run. Will see if that happens though. Still hurling away myself, albeit in the z squad but still feel the need for competition.

haranguerer

Just had a look at last years results, winner 10 min swim, which is 20 second lengths (!), then 32 min cycle, and 14 min run!! Under 3 min km!!

Like you, would have little to no experience of bike, but would have decent swimming. Its def too early for me though. Will do it next year!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: haranguerer on July 25, 2012, 10:57:33 PM
Just had a look at last years results, winner 10 min swim, which is 20 second lengths (!), then 32 min cycle, and 14 min run!! Under 3 min km!!

Like you, would have little to no experience of bike, but would have decent swimming. Its def too early for me though. Will do it next year!!

Well I thought I'd leave it for a year also but fcuk it will give it a bash to get her done. Friends have done the Nice IronMan during June, they said it was unreal. Watched it the following Sunday and it looked brilliant. The start looked like a massive wave of arms. They said the DJ had them worked up to a frenzy before the race and they managed (debutants) to finish it in 14 hours. The winner finished in 8h34minutes. 3.8 km swim, 180.2 km bike ride and a Marathon to finish!!

Bingo

Them finishers times for the Ironman are incredible. Any reports on an Ironman really push towards trying one, a serious event. You also read some on some forums of people dismissing them as they say their is no real race as such or competitiveness to them, as 99% of people in them want to just finish. Find that very hard to understand myself!

Hopefully in 4/5 years we will be on here discussing our Ironman adventures  ;)

imtommygunn

I watched one in Groomsport last year Bingo. Wouldn't be my bag but a serious event. Most of the half ironman people were struggling.  There were 3 in the full ironman.

The triathlons, unless you're at the top end, seem to be a lot about completing rather than competing anyway. To be doing those distances in three disciplines like that you're doing well to complete never mind compete.

The 5k time for newtonabbey was 16 odd for the winner - most runners up here can barely run 14 minutes for a 5k...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bingo on July 26, 2012, 11:58:46 AM
Them finishers times for the Ironman are incredible. Any reports on an Ironman really push towards trying one, a serious event. You also read some on some forums of people dismissing them as they say their is no real race as such or competitiveness to them, as 99% of people in them want to just finish. Find that very hard to understand myself!

Hopefully in 4/5 years we will be on here discussing our Ironman adventures  ;)

Anyone who says those things obviously haven't done them before, Lance Armstrong competes in them and other serious athletes. The time they finished the marathon in was around 3 hours for FFS, that's after the 3.8 k swin and 180.2 km bike run in the mountains!!

I'd be way off the mark for anything close to that but would like by the end of next season to have competed in a proper triathlon and maybe look at the following year to doing an Ironman. The couple I know that competed in the Iron man really only started swimming this year, within 8 months they have become very competent swimmers and completed the swim in Nice in 1.10h.

Yes completing the thing would be a big thing imtommygunn, but I'd say like most sports you will always want to improve and after completing then it will be about competing

Bingo

imtommygun, i would imagine the Ironman and triathlons are like any event and people will be only competing against themselves alright.

What I was probably suggesting, that for many it will be a one off and infrequent, a box to tick and time will be indifferent regardless. For all other events, people are repeating the distance and looking to get better times and PB's - be it 5km, 10km, half and full marathons or even sprint, olympic or HIM triathlons.

For alot of triathletes, that I was refering to, they probably see it as a once off that would take a full year to prepare for and they'd be unlikely to repeat this, so they don't view it as something to aspire to, as the self competitiveness isn't there.

Saying that, at the recent Austria Ironman, after Austria and UK, Ireland was the third best represented nation there and this will improve with the HIM in Galway now a fixture on the calender.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bingo on July 26, 2012, 12:47:54 PM
imtommygun, i would imagine the Ironman and triathlons are like any event and people will be only competing against themselves alright.

What I was probably suggesting, that for many it will be a one off and infrequent, a box to tick and time will be indifferent regardless. For all other events, people are repeating the distance and looking to get better times and PB's - be it 5km, 10km, half and full marathons or even sprint, olympic or HIM triathlons.

For alot of triathletes, that I was refering to, they probably see it as a once off that would take a full year to prepare for and they'd be unlikely to repeat this, so they don't view it as something to aspire to, as the self competitiveness isn't there.

Saying that, at the recent Austria Ironman, after Austria and UK, Ireland was the third best represented nation there and this will improve with the HIM in Galway now a fixture on the calender.

Out of the thousands that competed in Nice, half were first timers, regular competitors of triathlons but first time Ironmen/women. Hawaii have one every year also and other far off places, Sydney and USA. You'd build a holiday around an event like that.

Bingo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 26, 2012, 01:00:05 PM
Quote from: Bingo on July 26, 2012, 12:47:54 PM

Out of the thousands that competed in Nice, half were first timers, regular competitors of triathlons but first time Ironmen/women. Hawaii have one every year also and other far off places, Sydney and USA. You'd build a holiday around an event like that.

One of the local lads has qualified for the World Ironman in Las Vegas this Septemper. He is practically fulltime training this year.

I was reading on one forum where someone said to compete in one can cost a couple of grand in terms of the actual event itself - travel, bike travel, entry fee, accomodation etc Thats before any expense in terms of training and gear etc. Not cheap.

Hawaii is the original Ironman i believe. Not sure after competing one, you'd be in much form for a holiday as such  :)

imtommygunn

I'd say you're right bingo. The ironman is a particularly savage event though and would take some training to finish never mind compete in.  A marathon after all that cycling and swimming is rough going.

I don't know, endurance wise, what would compare to an ironman. You'd need to be talking marathon de sables or some of those mad ultra marathons.

There's a boy I think from Bellaghy in Derry who's world class at the triathlons - I think the ironman.