Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dillinger

10k = 6.25 or so miles so 7.1 won't bother you. It's ok to finnish a bit stronger, better than weaker at your stage. My money's on you doing 60 mins no prob. ;)

lurganblue

Quote from: Rois on April 23, 2012, 09:29:47 AM
Quote from: dillinger on April 22, 2012, 11:54:41 PM
That's fine. Often when you start off in races you don't really know how you will do. Now you have a target to take a few minutes off the next one. Train at a pace to finnish, say 8 mins 30 plus per mile. That would take you to about 54 mins for 10k. Just don't get carried away with crowds and go too fast in a race.

That's what I was afraid of and I think was why I didn't post a faster time - my second 5k was faster than the first and if I'd run at the second 5k pace throughout I'd have done it in 54.  Doing the long leg of the Belfast marathon relay in two weeks so going to aim for under 65 mins for 7.1 miles.

The long leg of the Belfast marathon relay I believe is tight going with the vast majority of it being up hill.

Rois

Not sure that I'd say the vast majority is uphill - there's a hilly bit at the start (but with some downhills mixed in with that), then along the Antrim Road which has a deceptive incline, but offset by running down from the Antrim Road to the loughshore (which is about 2 miles of the route), so it will be mixed up. 

Thankfully I live in that area and running along the Antrim Road is part of my usual route anyway.  Will just have to practice the first bit in the next two weeks. 

Capt Pat

A woman died in the London marathon. 30 years oldClaire Squires was her name. She was a stone cold fox now she is stone cold dead.

leaveherinsir

42:05 for the TQ 10k yesterday.  Delighted, another 1min+ off the PB!  Was really pleased in that i ran at a steady pace throughout, every mile was within 10 seconds of each other.
Next goal will have to be sub 42!
Was a brilliant turnout yesterday, something like 1800 runners. Running really has increased in popularity in the last 2-3 years.

dillinger

Quote from: Rois on April 23, 2012, 04:57:45 PM
Not sure that I'd say the vast majority is uphill - there's a hilly bit at the start (but with some downhills mixed in with that), then along the Antrim Road which has a deceptive incline, but offset by running down from the Antrim Road to the loughshore (which is about 2 miles of the route), so it will be mixed up. 

Thankfully I live in that area and running along the Antrim Road is part of my usual route anyway.  Will just have to practice the first bit in the next two weeks.

I used to run up Grays Lane now and again, don't try that just yet. :)

imtommygunn

Very sad about the girl dying in the marathon. At least her justgiving page is getting some money in for the samaritans now with 150+k raised. Pity it took that to raise it :(

25 miles she made it to.

Anyway - good running those who ran TQ. I think I am also doing the antrim road leg in the marathon.

ballinaman

Could never bottle out of a race, so win loose or draw today in Croker, will give this night run a go.

Looks like it'll be wet and windy, not great for times but sure no harm.

Half 8 start time has the usual race day eating times all over the shop though!

See ya in the red zone Bingo, i'll have a yellow Jamaica tshirt on.

muppet

How are the Couch to 5K brigade doing?

Finished week 4 this morning. Tough going but down about 5kgs.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on April 29, 2012, 12:09:52 PM

Not too bad. Only on midway through week 3 though as I had a few things happen that made it impossible to get time to run.
You'd notice missing a week or so as well, was going good but when I went back running after missing a week I felt I had gone backwards a bit.
Anyway determined to get to running 5k non stop even if it takes longer than the 8 week program.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on April 29, 2012, 12:14:51 PM

Not too bad. Only on midway through week 3 though as I had a few things happen that made it impossible to get time to run.
You'd notice missing a week or so as well, was going good but when I went back running after missing a week I felt I had gone backwards a bit.
Anyway determined to get to running 5k non stop even if it takes longer than the 8 week program.

There are times I feel might have to do a week twice but I like you I am determined to see this out.
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Erm I have yet to complete Week 1. The missus has a school inspection in 2 weeks so there is no time. Will reconvene after 19th May as I have a few heavy nights on the lash this month.

ballinaman

36.43(go by watch even though they have me as 36.49 gross!)..........happy enough considering the weather and haven't been doing 10km training really. Good to be back racing, plenty in the tank so should have a right go at the half marathon in 2 weeks.

Bingo

Fair play lad, decent time in a dirty night. Finished at 41.56 myself, was targeting 43 or so but nearly ruled that out giving the night. Start was chaotic where I was with runners of all grades going, was dodge the person for up and down oconnell st, one girl even stopped to tie her lace in middle of road!

Really enjoyed it mind, had thought 30 was on high side but it was value for money I reckon. Would have been great atmosphere if weather been kinder. Think it will only get bigger next year.

I'll soon dry out and warm up!!

ballinaman

Good man, times would have been even better if it was a kinder night alright!Fair play to the stewards coming out on a night like it. I got a decent enough start but was baltic starting it! Ha, you serious...you get that with mass events though, people go off like the hammers of hell and blow up.

Cracking flat course though, will defo do it again.