Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

I've made a decision, will collect the number on saturday..if we loose I'll run the night run, if we win it'll be pints in Quinns and no race ;D

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on April 19, 2012, 05:11:43 PM
I've made a decision, will collect the number on saturday..if we loose I'll run the night run, if we win it'll be pints in Quinns and no race ;D

See ya at the starting line so   ;)

leaveherinsir

imtommygunn and ballinaman, you boys are on a different running planet to me, those are some times for 10k and half marathons! 
Im running the Titanic 10k on Sunday, would be hopeful i might beat last weeks time, as its very flat course, last weekend in Armagh was fairly hilly in places.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on April 19, 2012, 05:26:18 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on April 19, 2012, 05:11:43 PM

See ya at the starting line so   ;)
had to be said, fair play ;D

ballinaman

Quote from: leaveherinsir on April 19, 2012, 06:31:23 PM
imtommygunn and ballinaman, you boys are on a different running planet to me, those are some times for 10k and half marathons! 
Im running the Titanic 10k on Sunday, would be hopeful i might beat last weeks time, as its very flat course, last weekend in Armagh was fairly hilly in places.
Wouldn't worry about anyone else's times, keep the head down with training and they'll fly down for ya!

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 17, 2012, 11:09:55 PM
Very good leaveherinsir.

I ran sub 36 for the first time on Sunday

For 10k!

I know I only started two weeks ago but I wouldn't do 5k in that. Jebus.

Having said that still sticking with the App and have hit every target. Next week (wk4) is a big step up though. 16 minutes running with relatively short breaks.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

You'd be amazed what you can do in the running when you do the right training to be honest muppet / leaveherinsir so I wouldn't rule anything out as I am far from a super athlete! I raced and barely beat another guy I train with who's about 5'10'' and was  about 18 stone a year to a year and a half ago so just shows you.

Leaveherinsir the TQ isn't a bad race - flat and will be plenty of people to carry you round. Also has the bonus of these mass participation races that there's a load of talent about :P

oakleafgael

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 19, 2012, 11:56:17 PM
You'd be amazed what you can do in the running when you do the right training to be honest muppet / leaveherinsir so I wouldn't rule anything out as I am far from a super athlete! I raced and barely beat another guy I train with who's about 5'10'' and was  about 18 stone a year to a year and a half ago so just shows you.

Leaveherinsir the TQ isn't a bad race - flat and will be plenty of people to carry you round. Also has the bonus of these mass participation races that there's a load of talent about :P

Lads,

Imtommygunn is 100% correct. I went from a complete couch potato to an 18 min 5k in under a year, when I started training I couldnt manage to run 5k non stop and my first non stop 5k was 31 mins. I would have done little to none physical activity since I packed the football in 5 years before that. What helped me was having someone else to train with who could tow me along when I was getting it tight, a very good club runner. Anything longer than 5k was just to sore on the body for me.

Rois

Quote from: leaveherinsir on April 19, 2012, 06:31:23 PM

Same here - though my aims are slightly more modest, I'd love to do it in an hr.  I was out last night and did 9k in about 50mins but that included stopping for about a minute or two after 4k and walking up a horrible hill around the 7k mark.  So I'm hopeful around the TQ route that at least the hill won't get in my way. 

leaveherinsir

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 19, 2012, 11:56:17 PM

so thats how you run those fast times then, you are chasing girls round!!  I ran it last year, good race, very warm last year, i ran 44mins odd, so would hope to beat that. Those two races last weekend took it out of me tho!
P.s. Good Luck Rois!

lurganblue

So I've found a schedule that I think suits me and I'm going to begin next week in preparation for Dublin marathon. I know I made a few mistakes in training the last time, going too fast on the long runs etc. any advice in terms of diet and supplements?

Rois

So my first 10k race done in 56.43 and I'm now regretting not upping the pace a bit as I had more in me. Now on to the next one to beat that time. Flip it feels good though!

dillinger

That's fine. Often when you start off in races you don't really know how you will do. Now you have a target to take a few minutes off the next one. Train at a pace to finnish, say 8 mins 30 plus per mile. That would take you to about 54 mins for 10k. Just don't get carried away with crowds and go too fast in a race.

Mayo4Sam

Anyone round Dublin and doing the mountain running? First of the summer series is off this Wednesday in Bray. Love it myself, a race every week and all levels there
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Rois

Quote from: dillinger on April 22, 2012, 11:54:41 PM
That's fine. Often when you start off in races you don't really know how you will do. Now you have a target to take a few minutes off the next one. Train at a pace to finnish, say 8 mins 30 plus per mile. That would take you to about 54 mins for 10k. Just don't get carried away with crowds and go too fast in a race.

That's what I was afraid of and I think was why I didn't post a faster time - my second 5k was faster than the first and if I'd run at the second 5k pace throughout I'd have done it in 54.  Doing the long leg of the Belfast marathon relay in two weeks so going to aim for under 65 mins for 7.1 miles.