Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Quote from: Bingo on December 05, 2011, 11:14:54 AM
5km went fierce well, about 450 done it on a cold december day!

My time was about 20.20, very happy with it. few pints after it....not so happy with that :)

Ah, the reason for exercise! ;D
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Bingo on December 05, 2011, 11:14:54 AM
5km went fierce well, about 450 done it on a cold december day!

My time was about 20.20, very happy with it. few pints after it....not so happy with that :)
Good going!
Im running a 10k on Saturday at Drum Manor forest in Cookstown. Trail race,  2 laps, its a good one if any of the runners on here fancy it. Only £3/4 to enter. Starts at 12. And maybe ill sample a few of the aforementioned pints on saturday evening as way of reward!!

Bingo

Sounds like a good run out, not make this one.

Is their a website for races, runs etc in NI, i know we have runireland.com but it doesn't seem to have too many NI runs on it which would suit me at times if I'm looking for a blow out the odd weekend.

No1

The fixture lists here are usually bang up to date.

http://www.athleticsni.org/Fixtures

junior9

I was hoping for a bit of advice about a half marathon.  I started running in August with my only previous experience of the sport coming from GAA fields and the infamous opening lines at training of 'right lads, round the field, 10 laps'.  I've developed a fierce liking for the sport and having done a couple of fun runs, i've got my distances up to between 8 and 10 miles.  I've signed up for the Liverpool Half Marathon on 18th March (very considerate organisers! :-[) but don't really know what approach to take to training.  Should I build up my distance to 13.1 miles or more than that or less?  In the weeks coming up to it, should I be reducing the regularity of running or what?  Any advice would be gratefully received.  Thanks

imtommygunn

Build up the time on your feet rather than distance... Dunno what you'll do a half marathon in but try and get your weekend run to be that. Long runs should be relatively easy - i.e. don't be busting yourself pacewise on them and build up.

During the week try and get one in of about an hour and a quarter or so - a reasonable distance.

Bingo pretty much every race in NI is on that site.

Bingo

Cheers for the NI calender link, will keep an eye on it.

Have a few run outs over Christmas, weather going well. 4 of us doing the Hell and Back 10km in Wicklow at end of January, seems a bit of craic and a tough enough run out.

Re the half marathon running, their is plenty of training plan available online. Gerry Duffy has a few on his website 32marathons. Not bad guides for building up distances. Few of the lads that would run locally would tell you much the same as Tommygun - all about getting the runs in the legs and building up to distance and you'll notice time improving with gentle pushes. One of the lads swears by doing hill running as building up the legs for distance running. But i am far from an expert on it.

imtommygunn

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=24629

Bingo great article on hills there. Running times is the best place on the web for training session stuff - great site.

Hills are massively beneficial and should be in your long run. Best to get some endurance on the flat first though...

Bingo

Cheers Tommy

I'll have a read of that. Its hard to avoid hills round our way so I've always tended to do a bit of both and would defo think that the hills and the step ones in particular really help.

junior9

thanks very much for the advice.  as i said, i've not long started and i want to keep at it.  my first aim would be just to finish the half marathon, i'm not really bothered about the time to begin with so i suppose you're right in saying build up to the distance.  another question if you don't mind me plaguing you, in this weather should i be wearing skins or compression tights etc in training?  are they worth the money?

ballinaman

Quote from: junior9 on December 14, 2011, 05:54:02 PM
thanks very much for the advice.  as i said, i've not long started and i want to keep at it.  my first aim would be just to finish the half marathon, i'm not really bothered about the time to begin with so i suppose you're right in saying build up to the distance.  another question if you don't mind me plaguing you, in this weather should i be wearing skins or compression tights etc in training?  are they worth the money?
Never felt the need for leggings meself in the cold, shorts are always grand. Have a few cantebury under armour esque tops the i wear though in the cauld weather!

junior9

Quote from: ballinaman on December 14, 2011, 06:33:20 PM
Quote from: junior9 on December 14, 2011, 05:54:02 PM
Never felt the need for leggings meself in the cold, shorts are always grand. Have a few cantebury under armour esque tops the i wear though in the cauld weather!

i have a few canterbury tops for the top half but was curious about the effectiveness of the leggings.  of course, if you read the product reviews from the manufacturers they are essential, i was just looking general opinions on them if anyone has a pair

imtommygunn

Ronhill tracksters 12 quid on start fitness.

You're fine unless it gets towards minus. Temperatures last year you'd no choice but to wear the bottoms.

junior9

have any of you who live round the border ever done the armagh 10 mile road race?  or is it even still organised?

leaveherinsir

Quote from: junior9 on December 14, 2011, 07:31:22 PM
have any of you who live round the border ever done the armagh 10 mile road race?  or is it even still organised?
you have missed this year, its on in October. Ran it last year, nice run.
Bingo, try the Greencastle 5 miler on Boxing Day, its some run. Remeber last year talking to a couple of lads from Emyvale on the way round. you'll run a good time too, especially with 400 odd Tyrone hallions running after you! Enough to help man set a PB!!  ;) :D