Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Yer man Ingebrigtsen didn't even break a sweat there in the 1500m final.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

dec

Quote from: laoislad on March 05, 2021, 08:43:37 PM

Is that why he was disqualified?

Milltown Row2

Sure some of the boys on here struggle to make 5K never mind a Marathon!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: dec on March 05, 2021, 08:56:29 PM
Quote from: laoislad on March 05, 2021, 08:43:37 PM

Is that why he was disqualified?
He was and now he isn't again!
Some machine though, looked effortless to him.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

lurganblue

Upped it ever so slightly last week and did 4 miles. Yards from the house I seemed to have strained the calf again.  Occasional pain and tightness throughout the last few days. Very frustrating.  The reality is that I probably need a physio at this stage.

Is cycling any easier on the calf muscles  ;D

trueblue1234

Quote from: lurganblue on March 08, 2021, 09:22:55 AM
Upped it ever so slightly last week and did 4 miles. Yards from the house I seemed to have strained the calf again.  Occasional pain and tightness throughout the last few days. Very frustrating.  The reality is that I probably need a physio at this stage.

Have you a treadmill? I have bother with the calfs as well. But always fine if I do a bit of work on the treadmill for a week or two I  usually strengthen them a bit and then don't have as much bother with go back to the roads. I never use the gradient so I suppose it means less stress on the calf than on the roads when up and down hills. Might just be in my head but thankfully haven't had too much issue with the calf recently.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

lurganblue

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 08, 2021, 09:34:34 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on March 08, 2021, 09:22:55 AM

Have you a treadmill? I have bother with the calfs as well. But always fine if I do a bit of work on the treadmill for a week or two I  usually strengthen them a bit and then don't have as much bother with go back to the roads. I never use the gradient so I suppose it means less stress on the calf than on the roads when up and down hills. Might just be in my head but thankfully haven't had too much issue with the calf recently.

Nah no treadmill at home and of course no gyms at the minute.

magpie seanie

Are you doing an S&C program to strengthen the calf muscles? I had never any issues with muscle injuries but had a calf tear a couple of years ago. Physio told me my calf muscles weren't strong enough so told me to prioritise S&C for them. Was never an issue when playing football all the time. Might help you.

lurganblue

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 10, 2021, 12:07:17 AM
Are you doing an S&C program to strengthen the calf muscles? I had never any issues with muscle injuries but had a calf tear a couple of years ago. Physio told me my calf muscles weren't strong enough so told me to prioritise S&C for them. Was never an issue when playing football all the time. Might help you.

Yeah I've been doing my own S&C as best I can at home over the past year.  I must say it did certainly help and I was able to do a few runs over say a 6 week period with no issues. There's defo a weakness there that I am struggling to shake. Again like yourself, I never had any calf issues while playing football.

TabClear

Any advice here on good websites for good runners and flash sales? I always have a brand new pair in the house for when my current pair needs replaced and because I never "need" to buy a pair immediately I usually keep an eye out for decent offers on  last season pairs at a decent discount and buy when I see something that pops up on sale or discount code.   I generally run in Asics on their outlet site but recently I have found it nearly impossible to get any decent deals. I am a size 10 which does not help as its a popular size but i think the Covid restrictions are definitely impacting stocks.

imtommygunn

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 26, 2021, 09:45:38 AM
https://www.sportsshoes.com/ and https://www.sweatshop.com/ would be the ones I use.

Thinking of going back to the Hoka shoes, so cushy and reduces the impact on the joints!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I have never tried them but half the running community in Belfast runs in them! (It was funny watching them evolve - I ran with a few boys who had them and they never took on then the guy who brought parkrun here who pretty much is a running legend starting wearing them and everyone starting wearing them lol)

TabClear

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 26, 2021, 09:52:25 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 26, 2021, 09:45:38 AM
https://www.sportsshoes.com/ and https://www.sweatshop.com/ would be the ones I use.

Thinking of going back to the Hoka shoes, so cushy and reduces the impact on the joints!!!

You do big miles dont you MR? All my miles are on the road up to about 10 miles at a time but I have never tried Hoka. The above is getting more appealing than it was 10 years ago so might give them a go

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 26, 2021, 09:57:43 AM
I have never tried them but half the running community in Belfast runs in them! (It was funny watching them evolve - I ran with a few boys who had them and they never took on then the guy who brought parkrun here who pretty much is a running legend starting wearing them and everyone starting wearing them lol)

Does he work in the running shop?