Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: BenDover on August 27, 2018, 01:53:54 PM
Just back from a week in Duinrell with Al Fresco. Great week with plenty to do on site between the theme park and water pool. The park & pool opened @ 10am but the pool closed @ 10pm and the park @ 6pm. For the park it's good to be in early to beat the queues on some of the rides, for the pool the evening time seemed a bit quieter - there's also an outdoor pool but it is only opened randomly.
On site itself there's a central area (Plaza) with 2 food places and a bar/games room downstairs and another room that hosted the evening activities e.g. bingo, kids disco - never really bothered with this too much kids had did enough during the day that in the evening time they were happy enough to relax and recharge. For getting around there's the option to hire bikes, go karts (can't be taken off site) or a pedal buggy thing with 4 seats - we went for bikes and they were brilliant. The town of Wassenaar isn't far, there's a beach 4km away and the cycle lanes are fantastic, making getting around safe. Our kids are 9, 5 & 2 and they had a blast but I def recommend this places for older kids as well. The weather is much like here only a little warmer and drier.

Now I'm looking for options next year - OH fancies an all inclusive hotel stay, somewhere that has a waterpark type thing. We've already looked at Club Mac in Alcuida and Lanzasur Splash Resort (any reviews on these places?). Any other recommendations for other places would be appreciated.

Magic Natura outside Benidorm would give you everything you need.
Family member was at it last year and said kids loved it.
Water park and zoo on-site and it was AI

Don Johnson

We had been looking up Duinrell Ben good to hear the review.

As Taylor said, we did a week in June at Magic Natura and have to say it was a great spot. The lodges were spotless, pool areas were brilliant, then you had the zoo and separate water park for during the day. We only left the resort on the second last day just to head into Benidorm to see what it was like on the free bus. Spolier: it was full of ones on mobility scooters.

The all inclusive was good as well, when we arrived the room fridge had beer and Cava in it. Then at night you could ask for full bottles of wine or cava or as many beers as you want with the lids still on to bring back to your room, means you put the kids to bed then sit out the front of the lodge and relax.

illdecide

Sitting in Torrevieja now, wild warm. Was going to go to Aqualandia in Benidorm tomorrow but have decided to stay for the local water park which is excellent anyway, couldn't be bothered driving to Benidorm and after getting up this morning to find a massive dent and scrape in passenger door of the hired car (which wasn't there yesterday) has put a dampener on it.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Don Johnson

Quote from: illdecide on August 28, 2018, 11:41:52 PM
Sitting in Torrevieja now, wild warm. Was going to go to Aqualandia in Benidorm tomorrow but have decided to stay for the local water park which is excellent anyway, couldn't be bothered driving to Benidorm and after getting up this morning to find a massive dent and scrape in passenger door of the hired car (which wasn't there yesterday) has put a dampener on it.

Head on up to Benidorm anyway, go and see Sticky Vicky to cheer yourself up.

Boycey

Anyone been to Frankfurt? Worth it for a 3 day city break?

CiKe

Quote from: Boycey on October 16, 2018, 05:49:47 PM

There once with work briefly sonot seen it properly but isn't a pretty place and wouldn't be first on my list.

heffo

Quote from: Boycey on October 16, 2018, 05:49:47 PM

Absolutely not, I wouldn't recommend it for a three hour break.

50fiftyball

Any ideas on where's a good couples break for NYE? . It's last minute yes and things will be more expensive - but here's what we've came up with from a bit of research on skyscanner & booking.com:

- It looks like the best dates price-wise we've settled on are Sun 30th Dec 2018 to Thurs 3rd Jan - 4 nights.
- Prague is top of our list at the moment. - She's mad to go here - I'm a bit unsure. Neither of us have been before. Will there be enough to do?
- Barcelona is our close 2nd. We've both been previously and loved it in summer time. Value wise the flights and hotels are similar to Prague.
- Edinburgh - it's very close, but for the prices for a flight and accommodation in Edinburgh we'd be better off going further abroad. It's expensive for NYE period.
- We looked at New York for before xmas too & NYE but I've been a few times and the crowds would be crazy, and I wasn't even there during New Years.
- Other places on our list were - Budapest, Rome, Madrid, Berlin, Lisbon, REYKJAVIK was a big favourite of mine but it's seriously expensive. Dubai/Abu Dhabi was more wishful thinking than realistic!!

We wouldn't be spending a lot of time in the hotel. However, we want a good base. Not a hostel, B&B, a decent 3, 4 or 5 star hotel.

TIA.

seafoid

Quote from: 50fiftyball on November 05, 2018, 02:11:52 PM
Any ideas on where's a good couples break for NYE? . It's last minute yes and things will be more expensive - but here's what we've came up with from a bit of research on skyscanner & booking.com:

- It looks like the best dates price-wise we've settled on are Sun 30th Dec 2018 to Thurs 3rd Jan - 4 nights.
- Prague is top of our list at the moment. - She's mad to go here - I'm a bit unsure. Neither of us have been before. Will there be enough to do?
- Barcelona is our close 2nd. We've both been previously and loved it in summer time. Value wise the flights and hotels are similar to Prague.
- Edinburgh - it's very close, but for the prices for a flight and accommodation in Edinburgh we'd be better off going further abroad. It's expensive for NYE period.
- We looked at New York for before xmas too & NYE but I've been a few times and the crowds would be crazy, and I wasn't even there during New Years.
- Other places on our list were - Budapest, Rome, Madrid, Berlin, Lisbon, REYKJAVIK was a big favourite of mine but it's seriously expensive. Dubai/Abu Dhabi was more wishful thinking than realistic!!

We wouldn't be spending a lot of time in the hotel. However, we want a good base. Not a hostel, B&B, a decent 3, 4 or 5 star hotel.

TIA.

A ski resort
Eg fly to Geneva and go to the Portes du Soleil which is about an hour away
http://en.portesdusoleil.com/winter.html

Megeve
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/feb/18/great-little-ski-resorts-megeve-jazz-festival-france

Ischgl - fly to Munich then onwards
https://www.ischgl.com/en
Great party town

Waking up in a ski resort is class and they all do stuff for NYE
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

galwayman

TIA.
Krakow? Not been at Xmas time but it's a lovely spot.
Was only in Prague on a stag before but it's really nice also

armaghniac

TIA.

New Year is done best  in Central Europe. That said, I was in Budapest for the NYE about 10 years ago and it was rather quiet, Prague or Berlin would be have more going on, Vienna even more so. Prague would be grand for 4 nights.

Rome is best visited at a quieter time, in my  opinion. Barcelona would have milder weather, or Naples.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Don Johnson

Anyone recommend any nice eating houses not too far off the M1 from the north towards Dublin airport?

Normally stop off in Fitzpatricks if we were heading down that way but we stopped off there a couple of weeks ago so would rather try somewhere else. Maybe the Carrickdale but have ate there before a load of times before as well. Somewhere like that anyway (preferably south of the border so we don't have much of a drive afterwards) not too far off the motorway.

Mikhailov

Quote from: armaghniac on November 06, 2018, 01:29:28 AM

TIA.

New Year is done best  in Central Europe. That said, I was in Budapest for the NYE about 10 years ago and it was rather quiet, Prague or Berlin would be have more going on, Vienna even more so. Prague would be grand for 4 nights.

Rome is best visited at a quieter time, in my  opinion. Barcelona would have milder weather, or Naples.

Go for Prague - great spot for short break or Munich but it is more expensive

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Don Johnson on November 28, 2018, 02:42:27 PM
Anyone recommend any nice eating houses not too far off the M1 from the north towards Dublin airport?

Normally stop off in Fitzpatricks if we were heading down that way but we stopped off there a couple of weeks ago so would rather try somewhere else. Maybe the Carrickdale but have ate there before a load of times before as well. Somewhere like that anyway (preferably south of the border so we don't have much of a drive afterwards) not too far off the motorway.

Monasterboice Inn is usually decent. Expensive enough but good portions.

screenexile

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on November 28, 2018, 03:27:27 PM
Quote from: Don Johnson on November 28, 2018, 02:42:27 PM

Monasterboice Inn is usually decent. Expensive enough but good portions.

Definiteley agree!!!