Leinster Senior Football Championship 2020

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 07, 2020, 12:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

On mature recollection, I probably could have picked a better day to start arguing for the abolition of the Provincials  :D
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

G@@

Quote from: High Fielder on November 22, 2020, 10:29:03 AM
In al probability, yes. There has always been a need to ensure the best players in every county have a platform for their talent. That doesn't exist right now, and never will as long as intercounty is in place. The level of a person's progression in any sport should not be prescribed by their birthplace. The whole thing needs a rethink in my opinion. It is quite boring mostly

The Premiershit is about 200 miles east of here if that is what you want. Ask them nicely to allow kicks over the bar to count as points.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

ohara

Completely disagree...simple solution is split Dublin. Just to big population wise to play counties like Laois and Offaly.

The GAA correctly pumped money into Dublin, to grow participation rates....(Laois offaly and Carlow already had good participation rates so money not needed)

A byproduct of this was Dublin intercounty team becoming too strong ( but still worthwhile exercise to grow playing numbers, (the true goal of gaa)

So it's now time to split Dublin...This idea of young laois players being excluded from top competion is a disgrace...I think your idea  disgrace. Just split the 1.5m population county in 2...simple as

quote author=Keyser Söze link=topic=29763.msg2010850#msg2010850 date=1606042515]
I think just dump the provincials? I'd have always been in favour of keeping them. But in reality now what's the point. In industry you'd use times of serious disruption to evaluate your systems and make brave changes that you'd probably never have broached in times of smooth operations.
In both the GAA and society in general this time is now. There is talk of a changing calendar etc. If making serious structural changes like that you'd be mad not to address the problem areas like the uncompetitive provincial championships.
Play the provincials as the O Byrne Cup is played now.
Use the summer months for our 8 team Divisions.
Dublin playing the other top 7 (Tyrone, Mayo, Cork, Kerry, Donegal, Galway, plus another) home or away over 10-12 weeks with the top 4 making the semis may not dominate forever more.
Dublin, being able to sleepwalk through Leinster and peak for a few games in August probably will.

This is not like the 60s/70s/80s or even 90s when you a Dublin/Kerry/Cork/Galway were delighted to get a good team together, picked it, left it as it was unless a fella retired or died, thanked the Lord for their current riches and roundly accepted that it wouldn't last forever.
Things are a hell of a lot more scientific now.
The top teams are constantly evolving in terms of both personnel and approach.
There is huge energy and resource going into ensuring that there is a constant supply line coming behind.
They are there to stay.

To remain an attractive proposition the GAA must change.
Laois be better off trying to win a Division 2 championship. If able to do so, you'd fear for the following year in Division 1, but that's another days work.
[/quote]

Keyser Söze

Entitled to your opinion.
I don't think splitting Dublin would help the Leinster Championship.
I felt the same about the hurling format and felt Laois should have automatic access to the Leinster championship, but in hindsight, having to qualify for it on merit has been a positive development.

Is it comparable to wanting all clubs in the county be allowed enter the Laois SFC? Just a thought!

recyclebin

Dublin would probably need to be split into four instead of two and they still would have the biggest pick in the country. They could split it into the four councils.

High Fielder

Quote from: G@@ on November 22, 2020, 07:47:48 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on November 22, 2020, 10:29:03 AM
In al probability, yes. There has always been a need to ensure the best players in every county have a platform for their talent. That doesn't exist right now, and never will as long as intercounty is in place. The level of a person's progression in any sport should not be prescribed by their birthplace. The whole thing needs a rethink in my opinion. It is quite boring mostly

The Premiershit is about 200 miles east of here if that is what you want. Ask them nicely to allow kicks over the bar to count as points.

Ever wondered why lads don't commit to Laois panels? I can give you one reason. Not really worth the hassle. Most players who participate in any sport want to win things. We don't win very much and we probably never will. How grim is that forecast? But sure look it's grand. Let's keep putting the hamster on the wheel.

High Fielder

Split Dublin as many times as you like. Ballymun would probably give Laois a proper rattle. In fact I wouldn't be one bit confident about beating them. Ballymun and Vincents combined would surely beat Laois, and definitely most Division 3 and 4 clubs. So what are we trying to achieve exactly by splitting Dublin when two clubs only would still be better than most counties? Stop it lads. Just stop it. It's a problem that can't be fixed. Either accept it for what it is, and what we are, or keep dreaming about what could be

Laois Rising

By splitting Dublin into four you'd have some great games to enjoy in Leinster. Could you imagine the rivalry that would build up over a couple of years between a Dublin North side v Dublin South side meeting in Leinster semi-finals, finals. The numbers that are playing GAA in Dublin now are astronomical in comparison to twenty years ago. From looking at the division 1 scene in Dublin every single player playing at that level would easily hold their own at inter-county level. Clubs like Kilmacud, Boden, Ballymun, Na Fianna have subs who would make the starting team of intercounty panels in smaller counties. Dublin is never going to revert back to the GAA landscape it was in 90s/early 00s where the actually GAA playing population wasn't that much ahead of other counties. If Dublin is left as a singular entity they will continue to hoover up 10/10 provincial titles and perhaps 7 to 8 out 10 All-Irelands for the next decade. If traditionalists want to keep the county structure as it currently is that's fine but they then can't then complain of uncompetitive championships. 

blueandwhite1

And if you split Mayo in two and Kerry in 3 we would be flying......  ;)

I agree that football is in huge trouble but can't see a split. What would happen if one of the Dublin teams were to become weak? The clamour to put them back together would start.

Chrimtain

I wonder if the county system in football is not at breaking point? Another year or two of beatings like Dublin handed out to Meath and Laois in Leinster  and it will be impossible to motivate players to represent their counties.

High Fielder

Splits only happen if there's an appetite for them; not a need. It is absolutely necessary for Portlaoise to have 2 clubs, but there's no appetite for it. That has to be respected, and the same applies to Dublin. The supply lines ran dry in Portlaoise for many different reasons, but I can't see that happening the way things have evolved in Dublin. They have an infinite well of resources these days. So the choices are threefold here. Accept what it is and try to compete. Other counties amalgamate. Or just scrap intercounty.

blueandwhite1

Football in the future will be same as hurling is these days. The idea that a small county can make a breakthrough will disappear. Multiple tiers not just in terms of leagues but also standards and aspirations. And what care have the GAA ever given to the fate of hurling in Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan or Mayo? (or Laois for that matter. Imagine what a €500k annual coaching investment would do to hurling in Laois, Westmeath, Carlow, Antrim etc. where there is no shortage of appetite but no resources).

Not Dublin's fault; they are so good it is an embarrassment to the GAA. A joy to watch but they have no competition. It's a bit like having the All-Blacks in the AIL, Liverpool in the league of Ireland or Celtic in the Scottish premiership. I would guess that Meath would put it up to Tipp, Cavan or Mayo and look what happened to them on Saturday.

clonadmad

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on November 23, 2020, 04:31:31 PM
Football in the future will be same as hurling is these days. The idea that a small county can make a breakthrough will disappear. Multiple tiers not just in terms of leagues but also standards and aspirations. And what care have the GAA ever given to the fate of hurling in Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan or Mayo? (or Laois for that matter. Imagine what a €500k annual coaching investment would do to hurling in Laois, Westmeath, Carlow, Antrim etc. where there is no shortage of appetite but no resources).

Not Dublin's fault; they are so good it is an embarrassment to the GAA. A joy to watch but they have no competition. It's a bit like having the All-Blacks in the AIL, Liverpool in the league of Ireland or Celtic in the Scottish premiership. I would guess that Meath would put it up to Tipp, Cavan or Mayo and look what happened to them on Saturday.

Laois cant even spend the budget allocated to coaching in the county by croke park at the minute

Maybe if we started there first before we go looking for more funds 

Keyser Söze

Just out of curiosity ClonadMad, is it that they are not drawing down the full allocation of funds?
Funds they'd have to match?
So basically are saving money but not doing so?

For example that there is funding there for a GDA. Croke Park would pay €18k as long as Laois pay the other €18k to pay their wages.
Is this the kind of situation you're describing?

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 23, 2020, 10:20:16 PM
Just out of curiosity ClonadMad, is it that they are not drawing down the full allocation of funds?
Funds they'd have to match?
So basically are saving money but not doing so?

For example that there is funding there for a GDA. Croke Park would pay €18k as long as Laois pay the other €18k to pay their wages.
Is this the kind of situation you're describing?

Just one clear cut example and I could give 2 more stark examples

There's a budget ring fenced and in place for 4 GDA's  and a games manager since beginning of 2018.

Those positions have never been fully filled at any point in the last 3 years.