Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Jinxy on August 09, 2016, 12:30:34 AM
Who did Colm O'Rourke sucker punch?

"If a back was giving me a lot of hassle and there was nothing being done about it I often let him go out in front for the ball and, just at the right moment, I'd give him an unmerciful box behind the ear."

Colm O'Rourke.

" ... in a League play-off against Down in '93 I gave DJ Kane a box in the mouth which drew some blood and he wondered out loud for the rest of the match whether the incident would be on television that night or in the Sunday Tribune the following Sunday. "

Colm O'Rourke

Throw ball

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 08, 2016, 11:53:39 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 08, 2016, 11:38:38 PM
Forget it Bomber, you'll never understand.

I guess I won't.

Punching an unsuspecting victim is not manly, it is anything but honest. But loads of people tend to hark back to the days when they could get away with this.

The goalposts have changed, violence was the underhand action to get a player off his game, now with video evidence it has turned to provocation.

The hierarchy of gamesmanship makes me laugh.

One particular incident that showed this up was Brolly's meltdown over Sean Cavanagh in 2013. In the match which followed that game, Michael Shields deliberately handled the ball on the goal line to prevent a Dublin goal, the difference was Shields definitely stopped a goal being scored by deliberately breaking a rule. Dublin got no score out of said incident, in contrast to that of Cavanagh, we don't know for sure McManus would have scored, they got a free, Cavanagh got a yellow and Monaghan got a point. The Shields incident wasn't even really discussed bar from saying it was a penalty. What was worse with what Cavanagh did?

There are certain things which for some bizarre reason are treated with much greater contempt despite the fact that the act being carried out is for the same impact with the same cynical intent.

Funny thing about the Brolly meltdown is that the tackle made by Cavanagh on McManus was one that many, many players would have done. For me the time he grabbed Darren Hughes Arm and pulled him to the ground only for Hughes to get booked was far worse in my opinion as it is something you have to practice to perfect.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Throw ball on August 09, 2016, 12:46:46 AM

I guess I won't.

Punching an unsuspecting victim is not manly, it is anything but honest. But loads of people tend to hark back to the days when they could get away with this.

The goalposts have changed, violence was the underhand action to get a player off his game, now with video evidence it has turned to provocation.

One particular incident that showed this up was Brolly's meltdown over Sean Cavanagh in 2013. In the match which followed that game, Michael Shields deliberately handled the ball on the goal line to prevent a Dublin goal, the difference was Shields definitely stopped a goal being scored by deliberately breaking a rule. Dublin got no score out of said incident, in contrast to that of Cavanagh, we don't know for sure McManus would have scored, they got a free, Cavanagh got a yellow and Monaghan got a point. The Shields incident wasn't even really discussed bar from saying it was a penalty. What was worse with what Cavanagh did?

There are certain things which for some bizarre reason are treated with much greater contempt despite the fact that the act being carried out is for the same impact with the same cynical intent.

Funny thing about the Brolly meltdown is that the tackle made by Cavanagh on McManus was one that many, many players would have done. For me the time he grabbed Darren Hughes Arm and pulled him to the ground only for Hughes to get booked was far worse in my opinion as it is something you have to practice to perfect.

I agree and Cavanagh is a big culprit in holding the arm in when being tackled. However a lot of the time I think it's to do with bringing a foul to the attention of the ref. For instance on Saturday where he got the free given against him for it, he was definitely fouled by Keegan moments before so decided when the hand went in next time he would get his free.

No wides

I like Tyrone but for the minority of twats on here - I am so glad to see them out, you boys do you county a disservice, get back to the soccer threads sure real football begins this Saturday!!!

tonto1888

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 09, 2016, 07:43:23 AM

I guess I won't.

I agree and Cavanagh is a big culprit in holding the arm in when being tackled. However a lot of the time I think it's to do with bringing a foul to the attention of the ref. For instance on Saturday where he got the free given against him for it, he was definitely fouled by Keegan moments before so decided when the hand went in next time he would get his free.

Are you actually serious? Cavanagh is at that all he time and I was glad to see the ref give the free against him for it on Saturday

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 09, 2016, 08:13:06 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 09, 2016, 07:43:23 AM

I guess I won't.

Are you actually serious? Cavanagh is at that all he time and I was glad to see the ref give the free against him for it on Saturday

Maybe your comprehension skills are poor but I've actually agreed that Cavanagh does it a lot in the very first few words in my previous post. He has had to grow wise to winning frees throughout his career as he takes an awful lot of illegal interference when he carries the ball. He should have had a free before he locked Keegan's arm in on Saturday.

ONeill

Big Joe was only yawning in that picture.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Disillusioned

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 09, 2016, 08:21:10 AM

Maybe your comprehension skills are poor but I've actually agreed that Cavanagh does it a lot in the very first few words in my previous post. He has had to grow wise to winning frees throughout his career as he takes an awful lot of illegal interference when he carries the ball.

You are right and we are all wrong, we had forgotten that the players should have parted to allow Cavanagh to carry on unimpeded.  How dare anyone attempt to tackle or hinder him.

Catch yourself on, Cavanagh was driving through and he always had two options, break the tackles and score/hand off for a score or get a free and score (see Aidan O'Shea).  He opted as he has frequently done when unable to break the tackle and tried to fool the officials by pulling the tackler down on top of himself.  Lucky not to get his marching orders at this stage for this offence. 

Cavanagh was frustrated on Saturday by his own inability to master his marker and get into the game, fair play to Keegan, he did his job and better, he outscored Cavanagh. It's sad for Cavanagh but that's how sport goes, you get older and your powers wane, what was possible before becomes much more difficult now and also they change the rules to get you. 

O'Rourke could get away with his punches in the days when the game was savage and often brutal, when being sent off was no bother, it was a badge of honour, and officials turned a blind eye, no media interference to worry about.  It was a world away from today's sanitised game where goading specific opposition players to their breaking point is planned and orchestrated as a team tactic.
The global warming scenario is pretty grim. I'm not sure I like the idea of polar bears under a palm

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Disillusioned on August 09, 2016, 08:49:28 AM

Maybe your comprehension skills are poor but I've actually agreed that Cavanagh does it a lot in the very first few words in my previous post. He has had to grow wise to winning frees throughout his career as he takes an awful lot of illegal interference when he carries the ball.

You are right and we are all wrong, we had forgotten that the players should have parted to allow Cavanagh to carry on unimpeded.  How dare anyone attempt to tackle or hinder him.

Catch yourself on, Cavanagh was driving through and he always had two options, break the tackles and score/hand off for a score or get a free and score (see Aidan O'Shea).  He opted as he has frequently done when unable to break the tackle and tried to fool the officials by pulling the tackler down on top of himself.  Lucky not to get his marching orders at this stage for this offence. 

Cavanagh was frustrated on Saturday by his own inability to master his marker and get into the game, fair play to Keegan, he did his job and better, he outscored Cavanagh. It's sad for Cavanagh but that's how sport goes, you get older and your powers wane, what was possible before becomes much more difficult now and also they change the rules to get you. 

O'Rourke could get away with his punches in the days when the game was savage and often brutal, when being sent off was no bother, it was a badge of honour, and officials turned a blind eye, no media interference to worry about.  It was a world away from today's sanitised game where goading specific opposition players to their breaking point is planned and orchestrated as a team tactic.

Wow, that sort of hypocrisy is quite unbelievable.

O'Rourke could get away with punches when he was deliberately breaking the rules and attempting to injure or debilitate the opposition, that is far, far more serious than shouting in a guy's face. It's much more trampish and cowardly than goading the opposition and I think it tells the type of guy you are when you can accept that and not another.

Cavanagh was fouled a couple of times in the build up to pulling the arm in, he doesn't get much protection from referees, if anyone saw Peter Crowley hanging out of him last year then they know what he has to put up with on a regular basis. As usual, the media like to pick out Sean Cavanagh for specific treatment, I didn't see the same uproar when Gavin moaned about Connolly being targetted or Rory Gallagher moaned about Michael Murphy being targetted or Fitzmaurice with Kieran Donaghy or Connelly last year on Aidan O'Shea.

The different that Tyrone are viewed in similar instances to other sides continues and there are none so blind as those who bury their heads and deny it happens.

Tommo2

Quote from: Disillusioned on August 09, 2016, 08:49:28 AM

Who actually instigated the half time wrestling match? I wasnt at the match, but heard from someone there, that it was actually Sean Cavanagh that shouldered into Keegan to start the messing at half time. Did anyone else see what actually happened?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: WT4E on August 08, 2016, 10:05:24 PM
I was listening to newstalk off the ball this evening - they where really pushing the Tyrone and the dark arts theme again - was it that bad? Thought it was a strange angle on an intriguing game.
Its just the standard now at this stage.
Tyrone certainly did get in the face of Aidan o'se, and if they want to criticise that, i have no problem with that, but i dont know how you can single Tyrone out for the 'dark arts' when Lee Keegan spent the whole game trying to get Cavanagh the line.
Personally i dont like it, from either Tyrone or anyone else, but there are alot of pundits out there who need to either accept it as part of the game, or else or call all teams and players out for it, not just Tyrone & Donegal.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

iorras

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 08, 2016, 11:44:28 PM
Lookit Mayo are not good as 2013 they are closer to 2011 than 2013 but this time its Tipp instead of Kerry in All Ireland semi final.

Kevin McLoughlin started out as a defender at least his current role in defence shouldn't be foreign to him. Playing without a full back was the right call for Rochford as Tyrone don't play with a traditional full forward and Sean Cavanagh was completely man marked out of the game by Keegan as Connolly was in the semi finals last year.
I don't think anyone really knows how good or bad Mayo really are, and that's the intriguing thing. Management seem capable of doing anything. Conor Loftus might appear the next day and score 1-5 and not be seen again this year. So anyone throwing out opinions that they are better or worse than other years might as well be roaring into a field of thistles for all the sense they make.