Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

on the hop

A game of four halves, first half was awful, 38 minutes and no score from play. Wexford started fast and had us under massive pressure. I don't know what our game plan was but the defence was under  pressure. They surged from their half back line all who scored and isolated one of their corner forwards. We didn't make many changes but had a few chances of goals which we didn't take. We had the wind in the second half and started better. Donie went full forward with Bennie carroll coming on and gary was sacrificed, a bit harshly as you could have taken your pick. 1-12 in the second and numerous missed chances and still after a mental last few minutes we needed Dillon to kick the leveller. Wexford had lost a few with injury at this stage and were a bit deflated. We got the wind with the start of the extra time and pushed on their kick outs making them go long. We were well on top and got the vital goal and the game kind of petered out. Certainly a great comeback considering how horrible we were. We still conceded a big score and missed a ton of goal chances.

Brody played well and managed nearly to reach the full forward line at one stage, full back was at sea and fouled far too much. Timmons came into it eventually, Dillon was poor and was dragged everywhere, he did kick the vital score.  Poor fennell was roasted after been isolated on their best forward. A change should have been made earlier. Half back line was overrun at times but all came into it, the backs were all changed in an attempt to put out  various fires. Midfield eventually got on top, Jol was excellent throughout, my man of the match. Half forward was very poor. O Connor  ended up corner back, we tried a number at 11 before carroll settled things. Farrell was very poor and a lot of their attacks came up his side. Ross mixed a bit of everything, some great scores but also a missed close frees. Gary got the hook which was a bit unfair as he was no worse than others. How tom shiel was brought on in front of him in extra time. Conway hadn't the pace for centre forward and was poor. Donie was awful at centre forward but ran amuck at 14. The loss of their full back helped as he bossed their corner back but still he missed a sitter of a goal and a point st the end. Paul Kingston kicked I think three points and needs to start the next day. Darren strong in a forward role also made a difference.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

This team learned a lot tonight and hopefully set us up for a good crack at Westmeath.
We started off as if it was our divine right to go there and win but we soon learnt that Wexford meant business. We played Div.4 standard football in the first half and Wexford's pace really had us in trouble.
Whatever they did or whatever was said at half time really got them fired up and they played real championship football right from the start of the second half. Some of the play was top class and great to watch but we missed loads of chances to go ahead and they held on for a draw at the end of the second half. Luckily for us they went for the point from the penalty right at the end and we managed to equalise thanks to a great point from Dillon. We took over completely in extra time and never looked like losing after that.
Not a great overall performance but we learned so much about ourselves from that game and it will surely stand to us in the future.
Donie is a full forward and played a stormer when moved in there. He even tracked back after losing possession on two occasions and won the ball back and that is really a good thing for Donie.
Jonno was brilliant in the second half and extra time and i'd agree he was MOTM.   
Roll on Westmeath ...
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

The PRO

Strangest game ever.
There was a wind but it didn't seem that strong.
We seemed to stumble on a stronger team as the game progressed. The first three subs in particularly improved things. Carroll brought a lot of energy and direct running while Donoher was excellent, got on a lot of ball and used it well. Kingston the younger did very well too and kicked some good scores.
Don't know what the chances of Lowry, Glynn or O'Carroll being fit for the next day are but it would be great to have the options.

Joeythelips

Did not see the game and hard to judge listening to streamed commentary but ti certainly sounded entertaining. I know Wexford are an average side who we were well fancied to beat, but to come back from 10 points down at half time against any team in the championship on their ground is a serious achievement and the team will take huge encouragement from that. Focusing on the attack seems to help Laois as they are porous at the back. Westmeath will be a step up from Wexford so will need to hit the ground running the next day.

Laoiseabu

Full foward is the only place for Donie end of. He needs to start there against Westmeath because it's the only thing that seems to work for us. No Westmeath back will want to mark him . As for defensively we are a shambles. Can't see us keeping out enough of scores to beat Westmeath. Luke Loughlin, John Heslin, Kieran Martin, Callum McCormack and Ger Egan will all score at ease I feel. But you have to credit the heart shown yesterday.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Laoiseabu on May 13, 2018, 12:17:06 PM
As for defensively we are a shambles. Can't see us keeping out enough of scores to beat Westmeath. Luke Loughlin, John Heslin, Kieran Martin, Callum McCormack and Ger Egan will all score at ease I feel. But you have to credit the heart shown yesterday.

Great to hear that sort of positivity, is there any point in playing the next game at all...... jees..

I would guess you weren't at the game on saturday. if you were you would have seen that when we throw off the shackles and believe in our ability we can be as good as most teams out there.
Supporting your team is about more than seeing them winning while playing the perfect game, it's also about recognising the attitude and pride your team has. Laois showed that they have all those qualities on saturday.

Can you tell me any team in the last 10 years came back from a half time scoreline like that away from home in a championship game and went on to win??
We should be praising them from the rooftops for what they did, most teams would have thrown in the towel and got out of there as quickly as possible. I have no doubt they will put it up to Westmeath and I think we could well beat them going on what I saw on saturday. Sure we made some errors and we were far from perfect but the football we played in the second half and in extra time was far better than what was dished up in Connaught today.

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Leixlad

Have to say i really enjoyed the match Saturday. The excitement was amazing it was great to have such a big Laois crowd there id say we outnumbered the locals! Experts (and those not there) will bemoan the first half performance, we were lucky, missed chances ect but i have to say it was great to be there Saturday its a very long time since i came away from a Laois match as happy. It was pure entertainment in the second half. Well done to lads who gave all for Laois in that second half the spirit and pride in jersey was great and thats all we ask for. Just a note on big Donie, for godsake leave him on the edge of the square the next day and kick it in long and fast there isnt a full back in the country that'll keep him quiet!   ;D

Laoiseabu

I was at the game actually. I said u would have to credit the heart shown? I also said Donie has to be full foward . The only negative I said was that Westmeath will score because we are way open defensively . Even in the second half against Wexford when we upped it we were still walked through down the centre of our defence. My point is u might get away with this crack against the likes of Carlow and Wexford and Leitrim but sooner or later we will be caught .

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on May 14, 2018, 09:52:14 AM
I was at the game actually. I said u would have to credit the heart shown? I also said Donie has to be full foward . The only negative I said was that Westmeath will score because we are way open defensively . Even in the second half against Wexford when we upped it we were still walked through down the centre of our defence. My point is u might get away with this crack against the likes of Carlow and Wexford and Leitrim but sooner or later we will be caught .
Handle Heslin and we'll handle Westmeath. Shame we haven't Pigott around. Time for another pest to turn up.

Great character shown in Wexford, and a great bit of an atmosphere once the comeback began. However, lets never ever do that again. Ever.

Don Draper

One other thing. There was a hape of chaps in Croke Park for the League Final. And again in Wexford Saturday evening. Can you imagine the buzz they're getting currently from following this Laois team? Heroes are being made, in the same way as Big John Costello, George Irwin, Curly Predergast, Pat Dunne, Gerry Browne, etc all were for my generation.

Sure, there's a brick wall in our future, there's few counties who dont meet one eventually, but f**k it if its not good to sit back and say thanks to the boys for the pride in the jersey they're showing, its great to see.

OTF

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on May 14, 2018, 02:13:20 AM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on May 13, 2018, 12:17:06 PM
As for defensively we are a shambles. Can't see us keeping out enough of scores to beat Westmeath. Luke Loughlin, John Heslin, Kieran Martin, Callum McCormack and Ger Egan will all score at ease I feel. But you have to credit the heart shown yesterday.

Great to hear that sort of positivity, is there any point in playing the next game at all...... jees..

I would guess you weren't at the game on saturday. if you were you would have seen that when we throw off the shackles and believe in our ability we can be as good as most teams out there.
Supporting your team is about more than seeing them winning while playing the perfect game, it's also about recognising the attitude and pride your team has. Laois showed that they have all those qualities on saturday.

Can you tell me any team in the last 10 years came back from a half time scoreline like that away from home in a championship game and went on to win??
We should be praising them from the rooftops for what they did, most teams would have thrown in the towel and got out of there as quickly as possible. I have no doubt they will put it up to Westmeath and I think we could well beat them going on what I saw on saturday. Sure we made some errors and we were far from perfect but the football we played in the second half and in extra time was far better than what was dished up in Connaught today.

Exactly.
I struggle to remember us coming from behind at have time ever,  were we behind Offaly  at HT  in 2003  ???

les Antiques

Attrides  role in this team is vital particularly in an offensive sense. You could see how difficult Wexford found in tracking his runs and so much of our threat stemmed from his forays from the half back line .

Heslin is doubtful to play at all this year nevermind been fit for the Laois match . I'd be more worried about our disastrous record in Tullamore in recent years .

Don Draper

Quote from: les Antiques on May 14, 2018, 12:34:19 PM
Attrides  role in this team is vital particularly in an offensive sense. You could see how difficult Wexford found in tracking his runs and so much of our threat stemmed from his forays from the half back line .

Heslin is doubtful to play at all this year nevermind been fit for the Laois match . I'd be more worried about our disastrous record in Tullamore in recent years .
Ha, if we were to worry about our disastrous records in grounds, we'd never play a home match again!!!

Unison

Although he was named as a sub, Heslin didn't play in the O'Byrne Cup match against Meath yesterday. Without him, maybe..........