2008 Ryder Cup

Started by corn02, August 22, 2008, 03:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Have to agree. His two recent events have been by no means disatorous. A top 10 at B ridgestone is excellent and a couple of decent days at the PGA. I don't think it would happen but would love to see him there. As I say, iuf he keeps the pace up over the weekend he will vertainly be in the plans.

As for the process Seanie:
5 Players qualify through the Ryder Cup World Points List - based on World Ranking points accumulated from all world ranked tournaments over a 12 month period

5 Platers qualify through The Ryder Cup European Points List - based on money won in European Tour Order of Merit tournaments

2 Players are chosen as Captains Picks - by European Captain Nick Faldo.

This is not 72-holes of golf. Mahan is unlikely to get picked for the US, simply because of his attitude. It is a totally different tournament.

corn02

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: corn02 on August 22, 2008, 05:00:39 PM
Clarke and Westwood at a major:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MJsdJgZPX8

The two are best of friends,I think Clarke despite not having a great year would be the last person to let you down at a Ryder Cup
You can't compare the Ryder Cup to a normal tournament,Its different golf entirely
You'll Never Walk Alone.

An Fear Rua

As a Dungannon man, I would like nothing more than to see DC at the Ryder cup, he was magnificent last time round carried through on the emotion.

In the cold light of day he hasnt been focused since then, and needs to get his bread and butter sorted before he can think about dessert
Its Grim up North

Hound

Quote from: An Fear Rua on August 22, 2008, 05:06:15 PM
As a Dungannon man, I would like nothing more than to see DC at the Ryder cup, he was magnificent last time round carried through on the emotion.

In the cold light of day he hasnt been focused since then, and needs to get his bread and butter sorted before he can think about dessert
Well he was certainly focused yesterday. Superb display.

McGinley played very well too. A 64 to take second place.

I think before this weekend, the 2 wildcards were between Monty, Casey and Poulter, but Clarke now has surely put himself right in the picture. The fact that he has a proven excellent track record with Westwood will help his case. It'd be nice to think that McGinley's Ryder Cup record and his relationship with Harrington might give him a chance, especially if he plays well again next week, but that's probably Irish bias coming out!

It is good to see Justin Rose giving up plenty of dosh in the US (he's already missed one tournament in the "Fedex Cup" and if he plays in Scotland next week it effectively rules him out of 3 more where buckets of cash are on offer) in favour of cemeting his place in the Ryder Cup. Casey and Poulter though are playing in the States. Of course Faldo chose to earn a few bucks himself at the weekend by commentating in the US rather than attending the Dutch Open. Preumably he'll be in Scotland next week, given he's due to announce the wildcards after the tournament.

Interesting decision from Monty not to play in Holland. Why? Has Faldo already given him news I wonder?  

Diet Coke

Would pick Clarke and Poulter.....Clarke because of his record and Poulter because the Yanks hate him!
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

magpie seanie

Corn - yeah, thanks for that but how exactly are the two 5's determined. I mean Harrington for instance is in both top 5's. Do they continue down the world rankings list or the Ryder Cup points list until the 5+5 spots are filled? Does this mean that McDowell is nearly certain to be in? What does the team look like now with a week to go?

ludermor

Quote from: Diet Coke on August 25, 2008, 11:45:36 AM
Would pick Clarke and Poulter.....Clarke because of his record and Poulter because the Yanks hate him!
He is not the most popular among the Europeans either

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 25, 2008, 01:42:26 PM
Corn - yeah, thanks for that but how exactly are the two 5's determined. I mean Harrington for instance is in both top 5's. Do they continue down the world rankings list or the Ryder Cup points list until the 5+5 spots are filled? Does this mean that McDowell is nearly certain to be in? What does the team look like now with a week to go?
You take the top 5 in the World Ranking list first. Then you take the next best 5 from the European list.

The top 5 in the world ranking list are:

1. Harrington
2. Garcia
3. Westwood
4. Stenson
5. Karlsson

The top 5 (other than above) in the European list are:

1. Jimenez
2. McDowell
3. Rose
4. S. Hansen
5. Wilson

The current 5 in the world list together with Jimenez and McDowell are certainties to qualify. McDowell is well clear of Rose. Kaymer, Poulter, Fisher and Dougherty are close enough to Rose, Hansen and Wilson so things could change there.

The Real Laoislad

Anyone see Nick Flado make a tool of himself yesterday? He was in the commentry box at the Barclays when Paul Casey was making a putt of about 25ft..
Casey was just about to putt when Faldo says If he putts it his in..(ie Ryder Cup squad)
Casey only goes and sinks the putt and Faldo starts back tracking saying he was only kidding that he hasn't picked the squad yet etc..very funny

On another note Garcia loses another play-off when is his luck gonna change  ???
You'll Never Walk Alone.

magpie seanie

Thanks Hound.

Who the hell is Wilson. Never heard of him. Hadn't heard of Kaymer until recently either.

So even though I don't like him I should be hoping Poulter does well next week and qualifies as it would improve big Darren's chances of the wild card? Is Nick Faldo not a bit of a knob though? Could possibly pick the useless Monty and some English guy.

corn02

Sorry Seanie as Hound says World get ffirst five then European second.

Wilson is Oliver Wilson. English player and steady if not spectacular. I remember earlier in the year the craic was he would always be a runner-up, i think he got 3 second place finishes out of 5 or something? He had a poor run in the last two majors and if he misses out is unlikely to get a wild card.

Poluter is an excellent golfer and would be a good pick.

MS- Faldo is a knob and is likely to pick himself if he could.

magpie seanie

Yeah, Poulter is good if somewhat annoying. I'll never be able to erase those mental images of him on the practice range as Harrington knocked that shot to 4 foot on the 17th. Clown. Who was he trying to impress?

Casey has the experience and is probably worth a place too. Clarke should be picked assuming his good form continues next weekend which I think it will. He's a dangerous man when the wind is in his sails.

Faldo has the capability to lose this Ryder Cup singlehandedly though.

Hound

Been disappointed with Poulter since the Open. He knew (and he said it) that if he played reasonably well in the tournaments since then he'd make it into the automatic positions. But he hasn't done it.

Faldo is a knob alright. And not many like him. I seem to half remember something in a previous Ryder Cup involving a fax being ripped up. I can't really remember, but I think it was something along the lines that Faldo had been criticising the Europeans that they'd won no majors, and he may have even tipped the yanks - but on the morning of the Ryder Cup he sent a fax wishing the Europe team all the best - but it was ripped up. And it may have been Clarke who did the ripping. Anyone else recall something like that?

The Monty factor will also be big. If he's not picked there'll be uproar in the British press (most likely from the non-golf sports correspondents in the tabloids). Faldo might want to avoid that and so pick him. Dunno. I'd imagine the yanks would love to have him as the iconic figure they'd love to beat. Also after one of his recent wins Harrington was talking about the Ryder Cup as if it was a given that Monty was in. He was saying that Monty is the leader, but its maybe a role he'll have to take on in future (i.e. in 2 or 4 years).  

Puckoon

I hope to f**k they dont pick monty. Id take Clarke in matchplay over Monty any day.