Trevor Brennan does a Cantona!

Started by GalwayBayBoy, January 21, 2007, 08:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: Bogball XV on January 24, 2007, 11:05:09 AM
I meant to ask EG what he thought of the booing that Shane Geraghty was subjected to (as I pointed out in the thread on the London Irish game a month ago) throughout that game?  Is that good form in rugby?  See thread below.
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=767.0

I know there were probably women and children in the crowd (for God's sake would somebody think about the little children), so maybe my ears were deceiving me!!

I wasn't able to make the game v LI at Ravenhill, though I was at the first game in Reading.
As someone who was predominantly a soccer fan, I have to say that both sets of fans were remarkably quiet, docile even, particularly the home support. For people who clearly love their sport, I thought their behaviour remarkably dispassionate. In that respect, I feel they could learn from their soccer counterparts - if only to compose more than one song between them (SUFTU - itself nicked from soccer!)
That said, despite their enthusiasm (and the amount of drink taken), the 14,000-odd who were there were universally affable and well behaved - something soccer could learn from them.
The only discordant note was the booing by some of the Ulster fans of one of the LI players, following what they felt to be foul play (and for which he was sin-binned by the ref). Can't remember which one it was (winger?), but it wasn't Geraghty. In any case, I thought it rather unremarkable, but there you go.

P.S. If Geraghty was booed at Ravenhill, any idea why? Could it perhaps be because he's English?  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 24, 2007, 12:43:30 PM
There is though a perception that a football element has creeped into the Ulster support. That view is quite common on other rugby forums (I even saw it on the Welsh rugby forum Gwlad). Now there's nothing wrong with having a football element at a football match but it can look out of place at the rugby with football style chants (like the awful Who arrr yaa?) or opposition players coming in for something more akin to abuse than banter.

Perhaps. The ideal would be if rugby could import some of the passion and humour, whilst avoiding the boorishness and occasional aggression that also comes with football. (Considering the violence inherent in the game itself, it would be a catastrophe for rugby if it were the other way round!).

An example of this humour comes from a recent football match I was at where the home team was well on top, prompting the away support to start a chorus of:
"Three-Nil, and you still don't sing etc"
To which the home support immediately replied with:
"We forgot that you were here, we forgot..." etc etc

OK, maybe it was a "Had to be there" moment, but it enlivened a dull passage of play  ;)

Anyhow, getting back to Bamford and the Ulster support, I don't know the guy himself, but I have met once or twice some of the people who were with him (I think) and I can assure you, they are typical Irish rugby supporters and as such, have little or no interest in football.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 24, 2007, 01:28:36 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 24, 2007, 12:43:30 PM
There is though a perception that a football element has creeped into the Ulster support. That view is quite common on other rugby forums (I even saw it on the Welsh rugby forum Gwlad). Now there's nothing wrong with having a football element at a football match but it can look out of place at the rugby with football style chants (like the awful Who arrr yaa?) or opposition players coming in for something more akin to abuse than banter.

Perhaps. The ideal would be if rugby could import some of the passion and humour, whilst avoiding the boorishness and occasional aggression that also comes with football. (Considering the violence inherent in the game itself, it would be a catastrophe for rugby if it were the other way round!).

An example of this humour comes from a recent football match I was at where the home team was well on top, prompting the away support to start a chorus of:
"Three-Nil, and you still don't sing etc"
To which the home support immediately replied with:
"We forgot that you were here, we forgot..." etc etc

OK, maybe it was a "Had to be there" moment, but it enlivened a dull passage of play  ;)

Anyhow, getting back to Bamford and the Ulster support, I don't know the guy himself, but I have met once or twice some of the people who were with him (I think) and I can assure you, they are typical Irish rugby supporters and as such, have little or no interest in football.

Rugby doesnt need to import anything from soccer especially not  passion and humour, If you have ever been in Landsdowne for Six Nations games or big Heineken Cup games you would know theres plenty of that about.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 24, 2007, 01:15:02 PM
I was responding to the post from stephenite, does your last post mean that stephenite as well as the whole Brennan family are liars...!!!

GDU
I am pretty sure that Stephenite was merely attempting to inject some levity into the thread, with a humourous riposte to my post concerning a separate, previous assault by Brennan against the Edinburgh team physiotherapist, a chap called Barton.

If I'm correct, then you have totally misunderstood the whole point and I suggest you go away and lie down in a darkened room.

(But if I'm wrong, no doubt Stephenite will correct me, in which case I will go for a lie-down...)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 24, 2007, 01:33:05 PM
Rugby doesnt need to import anything from soccer especially not  passion and humour, If you have ever been in Landsdowne for Six Nations games or big Heineken Cup games you would know theres plenty of that about.

BHM,
I attended my first Five Nations (as it was then) international at Lansdowne in 1977, and a fair few more subsequently, until I found it progressively harder to get tickets. I have also been to a number of Ireland internationals in Cardiff, Twickenham and Paris, also the 1991 World Cup Final (England v Oz). As for the Heineken, I've not been to so many of those, though amongst other matches, I have been to two finals - Munster's defeat at Twickenham and Ulster's victory in Lansdowne.
There have been some cracking games (atmosphere wise), but there have been many more which had a poor, even downright dull atmosphere - in so far as there was any atmosphere at all.
Possibly the two worst of these was a total capitulation by Ireland at Parc des Princes, where the only reaction of the French crowd was occasionally to laugh at the Irish ineptitude, and another huge defeat at Twickenham, where the English support only became enlivened when Mike Catt came on as sub (they got to boo him!). Admittedly both those were a few years back, but at times at rugby games, there's more fun to be had at a Mormon funeral...
(The pre- and post-match drinking was great, however; I should have sold my ticket and carried on drinking straight through!)

Anyhow, having been to literally hundreds of soccer matches in three continents, from "two men and a dog" games in Ireland, right through to World Cup Finals tournaments, I personally believe that soccer generally wins hands down for atmosphere.
In particular, I shall never forget the crack at Windsor when NI beat England in 2005:
"Oh what Bliss to be Alive..."   
:D
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

passedit

Am I right that his defence was he called him a Spide not a Spade?

Ergo 'Your Bar's a hole' becomes 'Yer Ma's a whore'

Elster Scats has a lot to answer fer.

McCullough cleared of misconduct
Matt McCullough of Ulster
Matt McCullough denied the allegations made by London Irish
Ulster lock Matt McCullough has had two misconduct complaints against him dismissed by the ERC in Dublin.

The complaints concerned the alleged use of racist and abusive language to London Irish's Delon Armitage during and after two Heineken Cup matches.

After hearing four hours of evidence a disciplinary committee found that a prima facie case was not established.

The Exiles claimed Armitage was a victim of a racial slur in the back-to-back pool games last month.

However, although McCullough admitted directing foul language towards the winger, he denied any racial abuse.

Ulster's chief executive Michael Reid vehemently denied any allegations of abuse by anyone in the squad.

It is thought that a colloquial saying well known in Ulster was possibly misinterpreted as racial abuse.

McCullough sent a letter to London Irish apologising for his use of strong language to Armitage.

London Irish have the right to appeal the decision.
Don't Panic

Evil Genius

Quote from: passedit on January 24, 2007, 05:18:30 PM
Am I right that his defence was he called him a Spide not a Spade?

McCullough cleared of misconduct
Matt McCullough of Ulster
Matt McCullough denied the allegations made by London Irish
Ulster lock Matt McCullough has had two misconduct complaints against him dismissed by the ERC in Dublin.

The complaints concerned the alleged use of racist and abusive language to London Irish's Delon Armitage during and after two Heineken Cup matches.

After hearing four hours of evidence a disciplinary committee found that a prima facie case was not established.

The Exiles claimed Armitage was a victim of a racial slur in the back-to-back pool games last month.

However, although McCullough admitted directing foul language towards the winger, he denied any racial abuse.

Ulster's chief executive Michael Reid vehemently denied any allegations of abuse by anyone in the squad.

It is thought that a colloquial saying well known in Ulster was possibly misinterpreted as racial abuse.

McCullough sent a letter to London Irish apologising for his use of strong language to Armitage.

London Irish have the right to appeal the decision.

I had heard that during (just after?) the first game, MMcC had verbals with DA, during which he called DA a "spide" (amongst other things!). Armitage happened to mention to his Da later on that evening that the Ulster player had called him a spide or spade or something, asking him what that meant. (DA apparently wasn't familiar with either term of abuse).
DA's father didn't know the term "spide", either, so assumed it was "spade" and was naturally enough furious.
Of course, the game having long finished, there was no real point in pursuing it.
Until the next game in Belfast, where the two clashed again in the tunnel after the match and MMcC repeated the term (spide, that is)
This time, DA went ballistic and the two had to be physically separated by teammates.
Consequently, London Irish made two complaints of racial abuse
(This was why Ulster wondered why L.Irish hadn't complained the first time, but only after the second incident, the implication being that L.Irish had won the first game, so weren't too bothered, but had lost the second game, so were sore losers).

I personally have no idea whether this story is correct, but presumably there either were witnesses to corroborate MMcC's story, or it was his word against DA's, so he got the benefit of the doubt.

P.S. Shouldn't this be on a separate thread, since it has sod-all to do with either Brennan or Bamford?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Josey Whales

who knows maybe he has a below par Irish pub as well ;D ;D ;D ;D
by the way i've attended AIL-ML-HEC and international rugby games regularly over the years so i think that entitles me to an opinion.

passedit

Who appointed you the thread police?

I'm saying MAYBE DA AND TB misheard?
Don't Panic

stephenite

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 24, 2007, 01:43:23 PM

I am pretty sure that Stephenite was merely attempting to inject some levity into the thread, with a humourous riposte to my post concerning a separate, previous assault by Brennan against the Edinburgh team physiotherapist, a chap called Barton.

If I'm correct, then you have totally misunderstood the whole point and I suggest you go away and lie down in a darkened room.

(But if I'm wrong, no doubt Stephenite will correct me, in which case I will go for a lie-down...)

Evil genius is correct, I was of course attempting to inject some levity into the thread, but can i ask if there is any chance that you will still lie down EG ? ;) :D

Square Ball

Brennan and Thomas hit by charges 

Toulouse player Trevor Brennan lashed out at an Ulster fan
Toulouse players Trevor Brennan and Gareth Thomas will both face misconduct charges arising from last Sunday's Heineken Cup clash against Ulster.
Brennan faces an ERC charge of assaulting Ulster supporter Patrick Bamford after leaving the playing area at the Stade Ernest Wallon.

Thomas is alleged to have engaged in "aggressive exchanges with spectators".

The Welsh international's hopes of playing in this year's Six Nations are threatened by any potential ban.

The charge levelled against Thomas says that he "aggressively attempted to enter one of the seating areas" and/or "made an offensive hand gesture towards spectators".

Brennan claimed he was provoked by chants about his mother but this has been "categorically" denied by Ulster supporter Bamford.

Former Ireland World Cup forward Brennan and ex-Wales captain Thomas must now attend disciplinary hearings following an initial investigation by European Rugby Cup disciplinary officer Roger O'Connor.

The ERC have also announced further investigation into the behaviour of a section of Ulster supporters, and Toulouse's alleged failure to control their players with regard to the incident.

Disciplinary hearings for Brennan and Thomas will be convened as soon as practicable.

Toulouse mounted a vigorous defence of Brennan but Ulster claimed Brennan had tarnished rugby with his actions.

Brennan appeared to punch Bamford several times leaving the 25-year-old accountant with a suspected fractured skull.

Brenna appeared to punch Bamford several times are they missing something?

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Over the Bar

To add a further slant I met a fella at the gym tonight who was a few rows away from the unfortunate punch-bag. This fella agrees with  most of what's been said however he says that he didnt hear any shouts about his pub not being up to scratch but that the crowd around him & Bamford were chanting was "Leinster reject!".  He unlike a lot of others have said did not expect Brennan to shake hands, but expected someone was gonna get a smack.

Evil Genius

More background, both on TB and the Ulster Support, from Monday's Belly Telly:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leinster supporters stand up for the Ulstermen

Monday, January 29, 2007

By Gavin Mairs

Rugby never ceases to amaze. At the end of last week, in the midst of the fall-out from the Trevor Brennan affair and with Ulster's supporters in the dock rather than the indefensible actions of the Toulouse player who left Patrick Bamford with a suspected fractured skull, a letter arrived on my desk.

It was written by a group of Leinster supporters, who were unhappy at what they perceived as the "negative commentary on the nature of Ulster Rugby and its fans".

The letter was the culmination of a number of messages of support for the reputation of Ulster Rugby on a Leinster fans' website forum following claims on Dublin airwaves and by a number of commentators that although Brennan had denied there was any sectarian nature to his provocation and Bamford's strong rebuttal that he verbally abused the player's mother, there was no smoke without fire.

Considering Brennan is a former Leinster player and has rightly earned something of a cult status for his rise from playing junior rugby with Barnhall to winning two Heineken Cup medals with Toulouse, those messages of support can only be viewed as massive gestures of goodwill.

And the most rigorous sign yet that despite the mud that was thrown and allegations made by people who should know better or by people who rarely have observed Ulster or their supporters either at Ravenhill or on the road, that the spirit of the game in providing a bond between people of all walks of life remains strong.

"We are a group of Rugby fans first and foremost, and are all holders of Leinster Rugby season tickets," said the letter. "Over the past number of days, we have become increasingly uncomfortable with the negative commentary on the nature of Ulster Rugby in general, and Ulster rugby fans in particular.

"We have forged strong links with Ulster Rugby over the past number of years, and in mobilising our own Supporters' Club and away travelling support, we have come to regard our interprovincial derbies as both a rugby, and social highlight, in the calendar. Bus trips to Ravenhill are over-subscribed, and demand for tickets far exceeds supply.

"We have developed friendships with staunch Ulster Rugby supporters, and have always noted the strong "family" ethic around matches at Ravenhill Road.

"We enjoy our differences, and celebrate our similarities, in a spirit of hospitality and good nature. We have always been humbled and impressed by the spirit in which we have been received, at Ravenhill Road. Our tickets, for away matches, are usually designated for both seated Stand, and terrace areas, and it is a testament to the goodwill and general atmosphere at Ravenhill, that we inevitably congregate in the midst of the more vocal Ulster support base, on the Promenade at Ravenhill."

The letter goes on to highlight the standing ovation given to Brian O'Driscoll at Ravenhill in December 2005 on his first return to action following his shoulder injury sustained on the Lions tour and denies that abuse for away teams is unparalleled at Ravenhill or that Ulster's supporters are inextricably linked to sectarianism.

Such sentiments only serve to remind what a positive force rugby has been on this troubled island in giving people a reason to look beyond their differences and make friends and enjoy camaraderie with sections of society that they might not otherwise have done.

There has been a lot of hot air spouted about the rights and wrongs of what happened in the stand at the Stade Ernest Wallon and the spin about what was said or not said has provided a timely distraction from the bare facts that Brennan crossed a line that should never be crossed in sport.

Yes, he was the subject of banter, even if the content of his version of his provocation varies vastly from a vast number of eye witnesses, many of whom I know and trust, in the stand.

And suggestions that photographic evidence shows he was provoked by Ulster supporters showering him with beer are also misleading.

The time on the picture, which has been submitted to the ERC, as do eye witness accounts, confirm the beer was thrown as a reaction to Brennan's actions, not as a cause.

Indeed, if the stand had been such a bear pit that Brennan claims, it seems remarkable that nobody reacted more severely than hurling a plastic cup at him. But that too misses the point. No provocation warrants physical assault. Full stop.

Toulouse's indifferent response to the incident has been appalling and is matched only by the French police's ludicrous claim that it was purely a matter between two individuals. I'm not sure if a supporter had run onto the pitch and hit a player at least six times in the face they would have seen it that way.

Brennan's pleas of mitigation are also undermined by the fact that this wasn't the first time. He assaulted a supporter during Ireland's tour of South Africa in June 1998, which was hushed up by the IRFU, while in a Heineken Cup match for Toulouse against Edinburgh in April 2004, he also hit the opposing team's physio.

Perhaps those victims will also be now blamed for provoking poor Trevor as well.

Of course in every crowd you get idiots who go too far and Ulster are no different. As rugby becomes more popular, so the dynamic of supporters changes and at times the standard of behaviour is unacceptable.

But that is not Ulster's problem alone. As the Leinster supporters will tell you.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"