Started by pintsofguinness, November 13, 2007, 11:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it accepatble to slap a child?

Yes, why not, they're smaller they can't fight back
Only for Discipline
No, it's Child Abuse
Naughty Step approach

pintsofguinness

Following on from the Fat Tax thread...when it was suggested by my oul mate Snowed Under, that giving a child of 3 a slap was child abuse I want to know what people feel on this.

IMO a lot of parents don't bother to discipline their children any more resulting the type of society we have today. 
Of course I don't advocate beating them around the house!

So snowed under my question for you, you've a three year old who won't behave on a plane annoying all around them, you spend a hour shouting at them, telling them to sit down, be quiet, stop yapping etc - they still won't behave, what do you do?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

man in black

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2007, 11:35:08 AM
Following on from the Fat Tax thread...when it was suggested by my oul mate Snowed Under, that giving a child of 3 a slap was child abuse I want to know what people feel on this.

IMO a lot of parents don't bother to discipline their children any more resulting the type of society we have today. 

So snowed under my question for you, you've a three year old who won't behave on a plane annoying all around them, you spend a hour shouting at them, telling them to sit down, be quiet, stop yapping etc - they still won't behave, what do you do?

There's no harm in giving a child a quick skite across the ass or the hand. When the cane went from the schools, society was doomed.
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

stpauls

by the age of three the child should know not to be doing what they were doing, so my child would not be doing it.
they would have got a skelp the first time they did it and it would be the last time they did it.

Balboa

the Deel Rover

oh i'd throw them out of the plane :P christ pog the child wouldn't be on a plane everyday of the week what would you expect them to do sit down in a confined space for 4 or 5 hours or maybe longer
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

pintsofguinness

oh i'd throw them out of the plane Tongue christ pog the child wouldn't be on a plane everyday of the week what would you expect them to do sit down in a confined space for 4 or 5 hours or maybe longer
It was short plane journey and the child was screaming walking down the aisle to the seat and my prayers went unanswered and they sat behind me.

deiseach

Quote from: man in black on November 13, 2007, 11:39:09 AM
When the cane went from the schools, society was doomed.

I don't know a single person who was the recipient of corporal punishment in school who still doesn't smoulder with resentment at the time some headcase of a teacher unjustly punished them.

I'm a bit conflicted about the idea of parents being able to hit their kids. I don't see it being inherently wrong, the odd smack to show who is boss - and parents are the boss - deosn't strike me as child abuse. Yet I can't see myself being able to lift my hand against a child. Another reason, if any were needed, why i'm not a politician. Trying to legislate for that would drive ye to drink.

Snowed Under

You are totally pathetic.  Children need discipline but they do not need a grown man to physically strike them; this is a cowardly and abusive act.  I still can't believe you are advocating "hitting a 3 year old a slap".  If a child is shown what is right and wrong by reward and non-reward, patience and love etc from the outset having to slap them will never be an issue my oldest is 4 and noone has ever laid a hand on him yet he is the most timid placid child around.  Slapping him at every opportunity would make the child resentful and add to any behaviourial problems; you most enjoy being a bully.

lynchbhoy

a wee slap now and again when they misbehave does no harm

abuse is a different matter

Snowed Under

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 13, 2007, 12:04:53 PM

But what is a wee slap - a 14 stone man hitting a toddler a wee slap could cause real harm - ffs shaking a toddler could kill them

man in black

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 13, 2007, 12:04:53 PM

Exactly
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

downredblack

My Ma was deadly with a Skol sandal from 10 yards , never did me any harm but I couldn't  hit my little one or lad for that matter . I think  the woman folk are the  main"enforcers" in Irish households anyway  :P

pintsofguinness

QuoteYou are totally pathetic.  Children need discipline but they do not need a grown man to physically strike them; this is a cowardly and abusive act.  I still can't believe you are advocating "hitting a 3 year old a slap".  If a child is shown what is right and wrong by reward and non-reward, patience and love etc from the outset having to slap them will never be an issue my oldest is 4 and noone has ever laid a hand on him yet he is the most timid placid child around. Slapping him at every opportunity would make the child resentful and add to any behaviourial problems; you most enjoy being a bully.

That's your child's personality, just the type that doesn't need a slap as shouting at them would be enough. 
Not all children are like that. 
For someone who brags about having children and says they know a lot about it, I'm surprised at that statment. 

QuoteBut what is a wee slap - a 14 stone man hitting a toddler a wee slap  could cause real harm - ffs shaking a toddler could kill them
I don't know any child that died from a slap on the arse or hand.  We're not advocating beating a child around the head you know.

Snowed Under

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2007, 12:11:08 PM
QuoteYou are totally pathetic.  Children need discipline but they do not need a grown man to physically strike them; this is a cowardly and abusive act.  I still can't believe you are advocating "hitting a 3 year old a slap".  If a child is shown what is right and wrong by reward and non-reward, patience and love etc from the outset having to slap them will never be an issue my oldest is 4 and noone has ever laid a hand on him yet he is the most timid placid child around. Slapping him at every opportunity would make the child resentful and add to any behaviourial problems; you most enjoy being a bully.

That's your child's personality, just the type that doesn't need a slap as shouting at them would be enough. 
Not all children are like that. 
For someone who brags about having children and says they know a lot about it, I'm surprised at that statment. 

QuoteBut what is a wee slap - a 14 stone man hitting a toddler a wee slap  could cause real harm - ffs shaking a toddler could kill them
I don't know any child that died from a slap on the arse or hand.  We're not advocating beating a child around the head you know.

Hardly bragging by mentioning I am a parent - loads of people have mentioned it; I just don't like your attitude that all parents are selfish.

No you are just advocating physical violence on a helpless toddler - in other words you are bullying someone weaker than yourself; not that that surprises me.

pintsofguinness

No you are just advocating physical violence on a helpless toddler - in other words you are bullying someone weaker than yourself; not that that surprises me.
Whereas allowing a child to do what they want is a sign of love?