American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 17, 2018, 09:12:14 AM
Enjoyed that last night. Brilliant from the Bears. A long time suffering for us Bears fans up to now. With the Rams losing again and appearing a bit wobbly the last few weeks, a bye is now not out of the question either. Dunno how the Bears gave up 30 odd points to the Gians a few weeks back....could end up being a costly defeat that one.

Great win, Trubisky had a good game and now I want to see him put three of these good games together which he hasn't really done yet this season. This defence is legit and as much as I loved the Mike Brown, Urlacher and Tillman defence that D couldn't rush the passer like this version of the Monsters of the Midway!!. If MT can stay in the above average to good category for his QB play for the rest of this season the playoffs will be exciting for da Bearz!! Bear Down!!!

Shout out to Oraisteach and the Brownies who will hopefully finish above .500 this season with a chance to knock their old friends the Ravens out of the playoffs in week 17!!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Crete Boom on December 17, 2018, 11:55:51 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 17, 2018, 09:12:14 AM
Enjoyed that last night. Brilliant from the Bears. A long time suffering for us Bears fans up to now. With the Rams losing again and appearing a bit wobbly the last few weeks, a bye is now not out of the question either. Dunno how the Bears gave up 30 odd points to the Gians a few weeks back....could end up being a costly defeat that one.

Great win, Trubisky had a good game and now I want to see him put three of these good games together which he hasn't really done yet this season. This defence is legit and as much as I loved the Mike Brown, Urlacher and Tillman defence that D couldn't rush the passer like this version of the Monsters of the Midway!!. If MT can stay in the above average to good category for his QB play for the rest of this season the playoffs will be exciting for da Bearz!! Bear Down!!!

Shout out to Oraisteach and the Brownies who will hopefully finish above .500 this season with a chance to knock their old friends the Ravens out of the playoffs in week 17!!

While he hasn't been lights out by the standards of modernd day QB stats, I think I saw a telling stat last night - he has the highest QBR of any Bears QB since McMahon in 1984. With a defence like this one, that's going to get the job done. Urlacher, Briggs and co got Rex Grossman to a SB and nearly won it.

Syferus

The Jets and Jaguars defences made Sanchez and Bortles look component but it ended up being totally inconsequential. Whatever a Bears team did or didn't do in another era has no bearing on this season. Trubisky was a bad pick at a terrible price.

lurganblue

Therealdonald

Quote from: Syferus on December 17, 2018, 02:53:57 PM
The Jets and Jaguars defences made Sanchez and Bortles look component but it ended up being totally inconsequential. Whatever a Bears team did or didn't do in another era has no bearing on this season. Trubisky was a bad pick at a terrible price.

Not really seeing how you're so sure that Trubisky is a bad pick, we can only go on results and as it is he is being successful. Also Sanchez wasn't as horrible as imagined. He went into Foxboro and came out with a win, went to the Bengals and did the same. He finished his career tamely but that was due to nerves and lack of confidence rather than ability.

But again Syf, my opinion is probably wrong and yours is right.

Clov

Quote from: lurganblue on December 17, 2018, 10:15:21 AM
Any recommended NFL podcasts? The only one I've really tried is Vernon Kays and i'm sure there are better ones out there. It's a minefield though.

The Mina Kimes podcast (ESPN) is very good
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

cadhlancian

Quote from: Therealdonald on December 17, 2018, 10:01:58 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 17, 2018, 02:53:57 PM

Not really seeing how you're so sure that Trubisky is a bad pick, we can only go on results and as it is he is being successful. Also Sanchez wasn't as horrible as imagined. He went into Foxboro and came out with a win, went to the Bengals and did the same. He finished his career tamely but that was due to nerves and lack of confidence rather than ability.

But again Syf, my opinion is probably wrong and yours is right.
Fixed that for ya....

Minder

File this one under "not surprised"...........Gordon facing an "indefinite suspension"

Josh Gordon to step away from football to focus on his mental health

http://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/25580285/new-england-patriots-receiver-josh-gordon-says-stepping-away-focus-mental-health

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minder on December 20, 2018, 03:55:56 PM
File this one under "not surprised"...........Gordon facing an "indefinite suspension"

http://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/25580285/new-england-patriots-receiver-josh-gordon-says-stepping-away-focus-mental-health

A troubled young man. Awful pity, but no team should touch this lad ever again.

gallsman

Guy just loves himself some weed.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 20, 2018, 03:58:56 PM

He should just have beaten the shit out of his girlfriend or kids and everything would be sound.  ::)

NFL's priorities are fcuked up. Not saying it's right but from previous indiscretions it's not like he'd taking something to improve his performance. If it's weed again then it's bullshit - that stuff is legal in many states in the US now.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 20, 2018, 11:45:58 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 20, 2018, 03:58:56 PM

He should just have beaten the shit out of his girlfriend or kids and everything would be sound.  ::)

NFL's priorities are fcuked up. Not saying it's right but from previous indiscretions it's not like he'd taking something to improve his performance. If it's weed again then it's bullshit - that stuff is legal in many states in the US now.

Everything would be sound? How's Ray Rice and Kareem Hunt doing?

He's obviously got a problem even if it's only weed. If you can't stop yourself from taking something you've been in trouble for numerous times before, and it jeopardises your entire career, then it's beyond 'it's just weed'. That's addictive behaviour. I know you thought this was no lose for the Patriots, but this was predictable from day one.

gallsman

For every Rice and Hunt there's a Mixon and Zeke though.

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on December 21, 2018, 01:11:25 PM

The NFL's disciplinary process is all over the gaff, I'll grant you.  Seems like they need a video to become public before they crack down.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 21, 2018, 01:14:21 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 21, 2018, 01:11:25 PM

The NFL's disciplinary process is all over the gaff, I'll grant you.  Seems like they need a video to become public before they crack down.

Yup

In fairness to Seanie, I think his tongue was firmly stuck in his cheek :)