Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Quote from: Itchy on June 25, 2017, 11:59:48 PM
Yeh smith was holding the hammer after his wonder point. Madden starts v Monaghan and doesn't get a minute today.

Starts out of position too. Killian Clarke obviously injured comes on in a game already won. Mossy comes on too instead of trying Galligan. Fergal Reilly not getting a look in. Dillon getting two minutes.

Mannion scored eight points from play today for Dublin. Held scoreless against Cavan by Fergal who doesn't get a sniff now.

Denn Forever

Was listening to it on the radio but did  we do our usual thing as almost snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?  We should have gone all out to win by as much as possible.

Players all over the place except their best positions.As people have said, Joe Dillon full forward.  McVitee in the full forward line.  Can win his his own possesion and when further out the field seems prone to be very hot headed.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Itchy

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 26, 2017, 12:13:39 PM
Was listening to it on the radio but did  we do our usual thing as almost snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?  We should have gone all out to win by as much as possible.

Players all over the place except their best positions.As people have said, Joe Dillon full forward.  McVitee in the full forward line.  Can win his his own possesion and when further out the field seems prone to be very hot headed.

It was a funny game, lacked intensity in defence. When Cavan upped it a gear after half time they blew Offaly away, it was then a top team would rout the opposition but we dont do that. We had lots of possession but wasted it messing around. Young Connolly was in for another goal that was saved and then Offaly got a few points, a bit of momentum and the crowd started roaring and it was slightly uncomfortable in the end for us.

Offaly out smarted us on their kick outs too. Pulling Gearoid and Buchanan to one side and then targeting a wing forward who came from deep and caught 5/6 balls, normally over clerkins head. Everyone could see that except for McGlennan.

Tipp will be tough for us. We can only hope they got a bit of confidence from this game and that the injuries clear up. Rory Dunne would be a help against them and we need Clarke, McVitty and Smith on the field for pace. Still it is winnable but we wont be able to rely on 1-4 from Gearoid against Tipp.

Westside

Personally, I never felt that we looked in danger of losing the game. I don't think the players did either, there didn't seem to be any sense of panic when Offaly were coming back into the game. But we certainly lacked the firepower to put the game to bed and keep it that way.

I would imagine the betting might actually have Tipp as favourites? We're both Division 2 teams next year. You'd imagine they will just target Gearoid because if you stop him, you're taking away probably 40% of Cavan's firepower.

Hopefully Quinlivan won't be back but if he is, I'd like to see Clarke given a man marking role on him provided he's fit. Bring in Dillon and Connolly and play them inside with McVeety. Bring McDermott out the field a bit. Try something anyway because what we saw last night won't be good enough!

Itchy

Cavan 1/2 and Tipp 2/1. Must've been a few pound put on Tipp as it was 4/11 and 11/4 originally. Cavan will need a huge improvement to win this game. 2-1 on Tipp is a great bet.

Westside

Saw the highlights of the Minor game on TG4. Disappointing they couldn't find their way to show even 1 of Smith's 7 or 8 marks which was probably the deciding factor in the game! Impressed with the speed and purpose with which they attack. Looking forward to the Ulster Final.

mrdeeds

Quinlivan a big loss. Double up on Sweeney will go a long way to winning. Need to sort ff line. Seanie has never scored a Championship goal and Niall Clerkin has scored one point all year. Read today Colin Corkery scored 32 goals and over 180 points in 32 Championship games.

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 28, 2017, 07:32:45 PM
Quinlivan a big loss. Double up on Sweeney will go a long way to winning. Need to sort ff line. Seanie has never scored a Championship goal and Niall Clerkin has scored one point all year. Read today Colin Corkery scored 32 goals and over 180 points in 32 Championship games.

Having been at both games I dont think Seanie even took a shot at the goals from play in either match so he would do well to score a goal! Time to leave him off and try the young lads. I thought the 2 young lads we brought on in Offaly played without fear and have lots of self belief, let them at it.

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on June 28, 2017, 08:55:49 PM

Having been at both games I dont think Seanie even took a shot at the goals from play in either match so he would do well to score a goal! Time to leave him off and try the young lads. I thought the 2 young lads we brought on in Offaly played without fear and have lots of self belief, let them at it.

Connolly and Galligan? Past it. It's all about Oisin Pierson and James Smith.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on June 28, 2017, 11:24:59 PM

Yes, Connolly and Galligan. I am talking about this year and Pierson and Smith are not on the senior panel this year.

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on June 29, 2017, 09:42:10 AM
Quote from: Westside on June 28, 2017, 11:24:59 PM

Yes, Connolly and Galligan. I am talking about this year and Pierson and Smith are not on the senior panel this year.

Just joking Itchy!

Quinlivan is a big load. Sincerely hope Mattie rejigs the forward line, he needs to try something.

Westside

I see Mackey had a couple of pops at O'Meara on the WeareCavan podcast. Looks like his comments haven't gone down to well with the team.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on July 02, 2017, 12:19:25 PM
I see Mackey had a couple of pops at O'Meara on the WeareCavan podcast. Looks like his comments haven't gone down to well with the team.

Then o Mara went on twitter and said a number of current panel text him to say they agreed. I have to say the timing of this article and subsequent comments is not very helpful to the teams preparations. All involved should have known better and left this alone until the county season ends.

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on July 02, 2017, 01:05:32 PM
Quote from: Westside on July 02, 2017, 12:19:25 PM

Then o Mara went on twitter and said a number of current panel text him to say they agreed. I have to say the timing of this article and subsequent comments is not very helpful to the teams preparations. All involved should have known better and left this alone until the county season ends.

Hadn't seen that. If I was one of those panel members that had text him, i'd be sending a follow up message to tell him to cop himself on. He wants to be right, at the expense of causing an issue where there is no need to cause one.

Can't blame Mackey, if someone writes an article slating the forwards and the manager I see nothing wrong with standing up for your own.
For O'Mara to reply citing current players back his comments, that's Joe Brolly-esque stuff. Shows no regard for the team and the good of Cavan football.

But sure if it boosts his profile by getting him a few extra hits on his website it seems Alan doesn't care.

Westside

1. Raymond Galligan (Lacken)
2. Padraig Faulkner (Kingscourt)
3. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
4. Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels)
5. James McEnroe (Ramor United)
6. Niall Murray (Cavan Gaels)
7. Conor Moynagh (Drumgoon)
8. Liam Buchanan (Ballymachugh)
9. Tomas Corr (Denn)
10. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
11. Martin Reilly (Killygarry)
12. Ciaran Brady (Arvagh)
13. Caoimhin O'Reilly (Butlersbridge)
14. Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar)
15. Dara McVeety (Crosserlough)

16. James Farrelly (Kingscourt)
17. Fergal Reilly (Castlerahan)
18. Killian Brady (Mullahoran)
19. Sean Johnston (Cavan Gaels)
20. Niall Clerkin (Shercock)
21. Niall McDermott (Ballinagh)
22. Shane O'Rourke (Laragh United)
23. Joe Dillon (Kingscourt)
24. Niall McKiernan (Lacken)
25. Ryan Connolly (Drumlane)
26. Thomas Galligan (Lacken)

Team named for the Tipperary game. McDermott, Gerry Smith, Clerkin and Johnston dropped from the last day out. Odd to see Caoimhin Reilly coming in for a starting place instead of Ryan Connolly. Perhaps he offers something different or is going well in training. He's an exciting player, very interested to see how he gets on.

All in all, it looks a stronger team than we fielded the last day out. Mossy will give us a greater presence around the middle, some of the non performers the last day have been replaced. I feel it's a good selection by Mattie, looking forward to Saturday now. Best of luck to them!