Fr Manning Cup facing the axe

Started by AhFeckRef, July 01, 2007, 07:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AhFeckRef

I see the following on HoganStand.com

Anybody have any further details?? ???

Fr Manning Cup facing the axe
01 July 2007

The popular Fr Manning Cup under 16 football inter-county competition, which has been run annually since 1965, is under threat following a ruling by the Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC).

The tournament was due to be played in the coming weeks for the 43rd consecutive year, but the CCCC has twice refused the host county Longford permission to stage the event.

Six counties compete each year for the prestigious cup and now officials in those counties – Longford, Letrim, Westmeath, Roscommon, Sligo and Offaly (who replaced Cavan last year) – are angry at what they see as denying young footballers a taste of inter-county football.

The CCCC is also been accused of double standards in refusing permission for the Fr Manning Cup to go ahead while allowing similar competitions such as the Ted Webb and Gerry Reilly Cups to proceed.

According to Rule 139 (b), inter-county competitions must be confined to four teams and this is being given as the reason for blocking the Fr Manning Cup. However, there is a clause which allows for exceptions to be made and the CCCC have exercised this discretion in allowing other similar tournaments to take place.

"I would accept that regulations are there but I think the sentiments of this rule wouldn't necessarily have been intended that under 16 footballers are likely to suffer from burn-out," says Leitrim County Board secretary Declan Bohan.

"The grades they are confined to are their own and minor so I wouldn't see burn-out as a concern."

Longfordian

Very saddened to hear of this ......
My father was on the Longford team that won the first Fr Manning Cup in 1965 .....and I played u-16 for Longford in this competition also . It was the only competition we had at u-16 level and we looked forward to the summer and playing in this tournament  , it also blooded young lads the following years minor team !!

I would hate to see it finish , especially as its been going into its 42nd year !!

Shamrock Shore

QuoteMy father was on the Longford team that won the first Fr Manning Cup in 1965

And my auld fella was the ref in the first final in 1965.

A marvellous comp that is ended by some clowns in the CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

wolfram74

I recall going to watch matches in the Fr Manning Cup whilst on holidays in Leitrim, always cracking matches & very keenly contested. Sad to see it go for any reason but because of some "suit" makes it worse. >:(

Rossfan

This is disgraceful !!!
It was always enjoyable and gave young lads a chance to wear their County jersey.
I appreciate where the Committee is coming from but after 42 years surely to God they can be flexible and allow this great competition to remain.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM