Rackard Cup 2007

Started by magpie seanie, June 20, 2007, 02:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Tricky draw for beaten Div 3 finalists Sligo. Armagh will be tough with Div 2 hurling behind them and Tyrone are no push overs either. Elsewhere you'd expect Longford and Donegal to emerge from 3B, Roscommon and ? from 3C and Louth and ? from 3D. Can't go to see our lads as I've a club game on at the same time but it will be interesting to see how they fare.

All Ireland Nicky Rackard Cup Hurling Championship

-- 23.06.07 (Sat) --

Group 3A - Round 1
Markievicz Park 3.00 Sligeach v Ard Mhacha
Referee: Tony Carroll, Uíbh Fhailí
Tír Eoghain bye

Group 3B - Round 1
Ballinamore 7.00 Liatroim v Longfort
Referee: Eoin O'Shaughnessy, Gaillimh
Dún na nGall bye

Group 3C - Round 1
Athleague 3.00 Ros Comáin v Fear Manach
Referee: Martin Mulholland, Doire
Muineachán bye

Group 3D - Round 1
Pairc na hÉireann 6.00 Warwickshire v An Lú
Referee: HP McCusker, An Dún
An Cabhán bye

-- 30.06.07 (Sat)  --

Group 3A - Round 2
Crossmaglen 7.00 Ard Mhacha v Tír Eoghain
Referee: Fergus Devereux, Cill Dara
Sligeach bye

Group 3B - Round 2
Pearse Park 3.00 Longfort v Dún na nGall
Referee: Brendan Sweeney, An Cabhán
Liatroim bye

Group 3C - Round 2
Lisnaskea 7.00 Fear Manach v Muineachán
Referee: Tony Carroll, Uíbh Fhailí
Ros Comáin bye

Group 3D - Round 2
Dundalk 7.00 An Lú v An Cabhán
Referee: Martin Mulholland, Doire
Warwickshire bye

-- 07.07.07 (Sat) Round 3 --

All Ireland Nicky Rackard Cup Hurling Championship 2007

Round 3 - Group 3A
Omagh 3.00 Tír Eoghain v Sligeach
Ard Mhacha bye

Round 3 - Group 3B
Ballyshannon 3.00 Dún na nGall v Liatroim
Longfort bye

Round 3 - Group 3C
Clones 3.00 Muineachán v Ros Comáin
Fear Manach bye

Round 3 - Group 3D
Kingspan Breffni Pk 3.00 An Cabhán v Warwickshire
An Lú bye

-- 14.07.07 (Sat) --
Quarter-Finals

-- 21.07.07 (Sat) --
Semi-Finals

-- 12.08.07 --
Final

Spiritof98

I think Armagh have a great chance, but it wont be easy, away to Sligo is no easy opener. It would be great to get into the christy Ring next year furthering the development that is happening at the minute within the counties, I only problem is the club scene seems to be affected by the rise of the county.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Lecale2

My money would be on Armagh. They have done great work in recent years  at juvenile level (John Crossey was involved and deserves credit) and some of those young lads are staring to come through. There are hurling people in Armagh who are mad for the game and it would be great to see their commitment rewarded, but I'm sure Sligo, Donegal and Lough can say the same. I just don't know them personally.

Armagh to win this year.
Down to win it next year.

slow corner back

Would like to see Armagh win it and continue their progress, however Donegal and Louth may have something to say about it. Carrickmore won an ulster minor title a few years back so there must be a few decent hurlers in Tyrone also. Best of luck to all involved and go support your county this weekend as I am sure they would appreciate it.

SimpleSimon

Anyone that thinks Armagh will have it all there own way is far mistaken. Sligo will be a very tough opener for them as will Tyrone. Roscommon have to be favourites with Donegal waiting in the wings to make up for last years final defeat. While louth pushing hard after there croker experience of 2 years ago. Longford could be the dark horses as there is meant to be a bid effort being out it to raise the profile down there. Armagh's Div 2, experience could be their downfall as they don't have the winning run they had going into last years competition, off the back of a good league campaign.

It looks to me to be a very open competition and I think there should be some very good matches, let's hope it gets the attendances and coverage it deserves!

Red Hurley

I agree with Spirit about the effect that this competiton is having on club hurling as Armagh players have been forbidden from playing with their clubs from the 10 June until they are out.Players who are not first fifteen should surely be allowed to play with their clubs and get game time.Joe Kernans ideas have influenced the hurling management, hurlers need to hurl. Armagh have the ability to win this competition but they will have to find other scoring forwards, an over reliance on Coulter could be their downfall.

neilthemac

we get over that problem in Roscommon by not having any club games during the Rackard Cup schedule...

which means 90% of the club hurlers fiddle their thumbs for most of the summer - brilliant!

Favourites would be:
Roscommon
Armagh
Donegal
Sligo

magpie seanie

Roscommon struggled with Sligo in the Division 3 final so 16/1 for our boys looks tasty.

BallyhaiseMan

Roscommon 7-27 to Fermanagh 1-06  :o

are Roscommon not a bit strong for Nicky Rackard Cup Level,i seem to vaguely remember them contesting Connacht Finals with Galway up to about 5-10 years ago and testing them for period of the games fairly well..albeit never coming close to winning.

if Mayo,Cavan game is on Sunday the 8th,will get myself to the Cavan/Warrickshire Game to see what the standard is like.

neilthemac

not based on last year's results

Roscommon got hockeyed by most teams

There are only 7 adult hurling clubs in the county.

In fairness though, this year's squad have got their act together

Gnevin

Quote from: neilthemac on June 25, 2007, 01:06:20 PM
not based on last year's results

Roscommon got hockeyed by most teams

There are only 7 adult hurling clubs in the county.

In fairness though, this year's squad have got their act together
Its good to see counties finally taking these serious
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.