Hurricane headcase

Started by ExiledGael, June 12, 2007, 05:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

What a dickhead, pure publicity stunt I'd say, maybe that's giving him credit for being clever enough to think of that

Higgins 'hits ref' at fund-raiser

Two-time world snooker champion Alex Higgins attacked a referee at a charity match in County Durham on Monday night, according to a local press report.
The exhibition fund-raiser pitted Higgins, 58, against Jimmy White.
But proceedings ended in chaos when referee Terry Riley refused to carry on after he was punched in the stomach.
Higgins snapped when Riley called a foul and had to be restrained by fans, although Durham Police later said no reports of assault had been received.
Class one international referee Riley told the Northern Echo newspaper: "It was a punch and officials are not there to be punched.
"He just came at me and punched me in the stomach - that was when I pushed him away."
But Higgins told reporters on Tuesday that the row had been "blown out of all proportion".
The snooker legend appeared at a signing in a Newcastle bookshop wearing his trademark Fedora hat, jeans, a woolly jumper and a silk scarf.
"We were both out of order," added Higgins.
Reporters were then thrown out of the shop and the promoter of last night's exhibition match refused to comment.
Higgins was signing 'From The Eye of the Hurricane' - his new autobiography.
Monday's charity match was organised to raise money for local players and the event's promoter has since told BBC Radio Five Live that Higgins only brushed against Riley and did not punch him.
In 1986, the Belfast-born Higgins earned a year-long ban for head-butting a match official, and he has had numerous scrapes with the snooker authorities in his long career. He also continues to battle throat cancer.

Stranworst

Saw this earlier the mans been a joke for years now

full back

Who is bullsh1tting who here?
The ref said he was punched & the promoter said he only brushed against him ???
Me thinks the Hurricane should be thankful that he was getting a chance to promotr his book

mooncatiii

them mans a mess, he sounds like another famous man nick named "hurricane" i no from aghagallon.  he's cival enough till he drinks then he like alex higgins punchin lad's and getn on! 

and whats gna be in the book, is it about his snooker or about the rip's he's been on i no the later would be more interesting  ;D
shazam

Stranworst

I was thinking the exact same thing as you when i opened the thread mooncat!

But Higgins is a joke sure, challenging people to frames in crappy snooker halls just to get a bit of money for booze etc..

Great Leap Forward

While George Best will be remembered as a flawed genius by most people in years to come it's difficult to see Higgins being thought of as anything more than being an asshole with talent.