I am not a racist but....

Started by Bud Wiser, June 01, 2007, 08:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

It's not that hard to learn to speak Indian. I learned it from the comics when I was a nipper.

How! Big chief's laptop have-um big heap bootmark on um-screen. Me need-um medicine-man to fixum.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Hardy on June 02, 2007, 03:34:58 PM
It's not that hard to learn to speak Indian. I learned it from the comics when I was a nipper.

How! Big chief's laptop have-um big heap bootmark on um-screen. Me need-um medicine-man to fixum.

:D :D :D :D
Tbc....

imtommygunn

Working in IT I've worked with a lot of Indians and have always had decent enough working relationships with them. Their culture is vastly different so it is interesting to know where they came from, arranged marriages etc, but once you find out different cultures some are hard to relate to.

The ones over in Belfast in my experience always gather among themselves. In my time working we've had a few go on the beer but not too many with the funniest episode being one doing john travolta pulp fiction style dancing at the christmas do and hitting on the most senior woman in the office.

They do seem however to eat nothing but curry. This does mean they sweat curry which means they don't smell the best which is a pain when you're working closely with them and has led to some awful messes in the toilets...  It's generally only afternoon time though. One who I was continually developing software with so sitting pretty closely beside kept burping almost in my face so some manners would be needed among some of them!

As for work standard I have yet to find a happy medium. They either are shit hot or know absolutely buck all and are lazy as sin.

They're like anyone else - some are grand some aren't. I often wonder what they think of us. I'd say they think we talk too much,question things too much, drink too much, spend too much money, eat too much and get paid too much!!

Fionntamhnach

QuoteThe ones over in Belfast in my experience always gather among themselves.
Classic ghettoisation. The best example in Belfast would be the hordes of culchie students that infest the Holylands.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 02, 2007, 01:01:33 AM
I hate the fact that these call centres (where ever there are abroad) are taking jobs away from Irish people and English, Scottish and Welsh. Also they are seriously hard to understand, theres something comforting about speaking to someone with an understandable accent, especially when you consider that most of the time you are calling one of these places its because of a problem!

But jezuz lads this thread is starting to sound seriously racist!  :o

Considering Dell, IBM, Gateway and others are US companies, the outsourcing would be taking jobs away from the US first then taking away from the western european countries after that. Welcome to the world of globalization.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

ziggysego

Quote from: Fluffy Che on June 02, 2007, 01:34:53 PM
A lot of Indians have recently moved into my building and l have found them to be generally an unfriendly bunch, they rarely if ever respond to my greetings, they dont integrate and the smell of onions cooking at 8 in the morning is not too nice.
ls this racist? A matter of opinion l suppose..
But what if they were say, Welsh! And l was to call them a shower of smelly Taffys..is that racist? Whats the difference?

I'd say both are equally racist. Look at the bother Anne Robinson got into ;)
Testing Accessibility

Square Ball

Defination of Racist

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others. 
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination. 
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races. 

Race is defined as:

a group of persons related by common descent or heredity. 
2. a population so related. 
3. Anthropology. a. any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the Caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics: no longer in technical use. 
b. an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, esp. formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups. 
c. a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans. 

4. a group of tribes or peoples forming an ethnic stock: the Slavic race. 
5. any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.: the Dutch race. 
6. the human race or family; humankind: Nuclear weapons pose a threat to the race. 
7. Zoology. a variety; subspecies. 
8. a natural kind of living creature: the race of fishes. 
9. any group, class, or kind, esp. of persons: Journalists are an interesting race. 
10. the characteristic taste or flavor of wine. 
–adjective 11. of or pertaining to the races of humankind. 

All above from dictionary.reference.com

so, if you "Dislike" certain counties because that are inbred are you a racist?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid