Favoured Coalition Partnership

Started by belleaqua, May 26, 2007, 04:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What coalition partnership would you like to see formed following the Election?

FF/Labour
2 (8.3%)
FF/Greens
6 (25%)
FF/PD/Independent
11 (45.8%)
FG/Labour/Green/PD/Independents
5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 22

deiseach

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 29, 2007, 04:37:48 PMHowever, financially it would be better for me personally if FG were in power, so in keeping with everyone else, i am being selfish when I say that I want the next govt to be FG led, or at worst biffo led.

You got a few yo-yos on the outcome?

J70

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on May 30, 2007, 06:59:10 PM
Quote from: resdubwhite on May 30, 2007, 11:32:37 AM
Quote from: J70 on May 30, 2007, 12:13:38 AM
Quote from: intoDwest on May 29, 2007, 04:55:14 PM

I'm still at a loss why the people of Mayo voted for Kenny like they did, the last time he was in Government he was the minister for Tourism and Trade and delivered f**k all for the county......The last time a Flynn was in a minister position he delivered for the people of mayo and for castlebar in particular.

Since when is it a minister's job to "deliver for the county" or their local town?

And people wonder why corruption is met with such a yawn in Irish life!
Here here.

The reason they voted for Kenny was not for Preferential treatment, but they like many people along the Atlantic Coast recognised a Dublin Taoiseach ignores us entirely, while a man from the West would still deliver for Dublin but would think of Connacht, Leinster & Munster before drafting plans, he would not presume Dublin first the rest as an afterthought as 10 years and the most of the last 25 years for Fianna Fail Government. I would hope we would not get treated any better, and knowing Enda to be the type of man he is, Dublin of course would still be the main act in the show, but other shows would get shown to the Audience too(Infrastructure, clean water, foreign investment).

Please dont use the word corruption when you talk of Kenny coz that is rich with the Government we had in the last 10 years & Haughey before that. I don't hear you complaining about the 14,000+ seats Drumcondra gave Bertie Ahern. I think its a case of Pot-Kettle-Black.

You also contradicted yourself, as Enda showed no preferential treatment last time how can you then claim he would be corrupt?????????

I do really believe that Enda would be a Taoiseach for All-Ireland while Bertie is a Taoiseach for Dublin & the Commuter Belt. If you look at the breakdown in the Independent 2 or 3 days ago of the way people voted, Leinster voted for the Status Quo in general & in general Connacht, Munster & Ulster voted for change.

I didn't make any statement about Kenny at all. I was referring to IntoDwest's method of evaluating a minister in terms of what they delivered for the county and the town, as opposed to their actual  responsibilities to the Irish people as a whole.

deiseach

Since when is it a minister's job to "deliver for the county" or their local town?

It has always been a minister's job to deliver for the county / town.

Which is why corruption is met with such a yawn.

But I imagine your musings on the subject were strictly rhetorical.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

When does the Government have to be announced/decided?
Tbc....

J70

Quote from: deiseach on May 30, 2007, 10:26:56 PM

I'm not exactly clear on your tone here. Do you think its a good thing that a minister should be evaluated by many of his constituents on the basis of the bacon he's brought home as opposed to his performance in leading his department?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 30, 2007, 10:36:53 PM
When does the Government have to be announced/decided?

14th of June GDA. Personally, I think (and hope) it will bee FF/PD/Ind in government.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

resdubwhite

No.

its a ministers job to deliver for the country. And I'll add to that also a TD (someone tell JHR)
Its a councillors job to deliver for the county/town.

AZOffaly

Independents are slightly different in fairness. Independents would never get elected if they didn't promise to deliver on local issues. And they would never get re-elected unless they did a bit of that.

All politics in Ireland still contains an element of looking after your constituents. What some fail to realise is that you can look after your constituents without sacrificing the greater good. A rising tide lifts all boats.

There will always be a place for specific local issues though. If, as an example, Dell were to pull out of Limerick, and Willie O'Dea wasn't seen to be lobbying like the bejaysus for some sort of replacement, he wouldn't be doubliing the quota next time out, and that's for sure.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: resdubwhite on May 31, 2007, 10:26:41 AM

No.

its a ministers job to deliver for the country. And I'll add to that also a TD (someone tell JHR)

I agree but whoever forms the next Government let them remember that there is 4 Provences in this Country not one.  >:(

resdubwhite

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on May 31, 2007, 10:45:32 AM

No.

I agree but whoever forms the next Government let them remember that there is 4 Provences in this Country not one.  >:(

So when have FG ever bucked this trend? Surely decentralisation and the spatial strategy brought in by FF in the last twn years were the first proper attempts at actively seeking to centres outside dublin.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: resdubwhite on May 31, 2007, 11:37:56 AM
Quote from: Fishead_Sam on May 31, 2007, 10:45:32 AM

No.

So when have FG ever bucked this trend? Surely decentralisation and the spatial strategy brought in by FF in the last twn years were the first proper attempts at actively seeking to centres outside dublin.

The spacial stratefy is something we hear every FF election but it is never delivered, the strategy the experts put forward was for  building up towns such as Galway, Limerick, Cork, Athlone, Portlaoise, Kilkenny, Castlebar, Sligo, Letterkenny, Tralee, Waterford, Dundalk, Wexford, but decetralisation by putting things into tiny villages & towns does not build up the capicity to attract buisness & industry. FF choose votes over building up the towns and cities that could generate the population requirements to boost industry, development & industry in their greater regions.

FF gave us vote grabbers not a strategy.

resdubwhite

Fishead.

Infrastructure cannot be built overnight. Sure isn't the national development plan rebuilding the western rail corridor.

Again I ask you? What have FG offered thats so different. And don't tell me about contracts or lighthouses.

Thats just waffle.

DUBSFORSAM1

Resdubswhite

Well FG supported the Spatial Strategy and not the fiasco that was decentralisation which went against the Spatial Strategy...
They have also campaigned for the Western Railway as well as further investment into public transport and Dublin Bus/Iarnrod Eireann etc...

At least they won't budget 4bn for a road plan and spend 14bn or spend extra hundreds of millions on the Luas or spend years on the M3 through Tara when most people with a brain knew that it would be problematical......and if they do at least the Minister will have to answer for it unlike in FF....

resdubwhite

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on May 31, 2007, 12:30:07 PM
Resdubswhite

Well FG supported the Spatial Strategy and not the fiasco that was decentralisation which went against the Spatial Strategy...
They have also campaigned for the Western Railway as well as further investment into public transport and Dublin Bus/Iarnrod Eireann etc...

At least they won't budget 4bn for a road plan and spend 14bn or spend extra hundreds of millions on the Luas or spend years on the M3 through Tara when most people with a brain knew that it would be problematical......and if they do at least the Minister will have to answer for it unlike in FF....