Cork fans flying the confederate flag

Started by Eamonnca1, August 14, 2017, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: LCohen on August 19, 2017, 11:25:27 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 19, 2017, 12:07:33 AM
Quote from: LCohen on August 18, 2017, 10:44:15 PM
A lot of symbols have a mixed or confused history. This allows current users to point to the positive history.

Not sure what the positive history of the confederate flag is that Cork fans would point to is?

Southern Identity/CUlture
Rebelliousness/Restless spirit
Wilie Nelson
Dukes of Hazard

Other emblems do each of the first 2 couplets. Other confederate flags even do that. But the flag of choice is the one that was specifically designed to rally the south to the protection of the god given supremacy of white men over all other races.

It's other uses are
A) A focal point for rednecks who continue to believe in their supremacy and
B) A fashion item for people who are ignorant in an era when information is all around them

Cork people seem to want to create a C) category i.e. People who want to copy people in category B) because copying the ignorant is a more acceptable form of ignorance

Just lift a different flag on the way out the door

It's not really why that flag was designed but no matter. If the southern states are removing it then it's time it was consigned to museums.

tonto1888

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 18, 2017, 03:31:04 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 18, 2017, 08:59:17 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 18, 2017, 07:09:28 AM
These Nazi All-Ireland medals should be handed back in and the design changed forthwith.... it would cause consternation in Kerry as they might have to change their currency.

What are you talking about

That a Celtic Cross is probably the most common symbol of the modern far right in Europe.
Being much more widespread and in those places more exclusive to those "causes" than the confederate flag.

This pisses me off. I hate the fact that the far right have taken the celtic cross as their own. Same with Viking runes and symbols too. I love Viking history and mythology and the fact the far right use them really annoys me

sid waddell

Quote from: vallankumous on August 19, 2017, 09:24:53 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 19, 2017, 01:16:45 AM
From today's Irish Times letters page:

Sir, – If Cork fans want to fly the Confederate battle flag, that is their choice. If, as some may claim, it is a harmless flag, in the context, and is only used for its colours, well, there is another flag to hand that they may use that contains the same red, white and blue, ie the British flag.

No takers? I didn't think so, given the reputation of the Tans in Cork. Well, now they know what "offensive" means. – Yours, etc,

GEARÓID Ó LOINGSIGH,
Calle,
Bogotá,
Colombia.

I'd say the Confederate flag being used by Cork fans is a symbol of secession from the Union.
It's probably more about 'the people's republic of Cork' than anything else.
To suggest it could be replaced with the Union Jack is a silly cheap shot.
The Union Jack would be less offensive.

tonto1888

Quote from: sid waddell on August 19, 2017, 12:25:42 PM

Sir, – If Cork fans want to fly the Confederate battle flag, that is their choice. If, as some may claim, it is a harmless flag, in the context, and is only used for its colours, well, there is another flag to hand that they may use that contains the same red, white and blue, ie the British flag.

No takers? I didn't think so, given the reputation of the Tans in Cork. Well, now they know what "offensive" means. – Yours, etc,

GEARÓID Ó LOINGSIGH,
Calle,
Bogotá,
Colombia.

I'd say the Confederate flag being used by Cork fans is a symbol of secession from the Union.

Less offensive to who

LCohen

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 19, 2017, 11:46:02 AM
A lot of symbols have a mixed or confused history. This allows current users to point to the positive history.

Not sure what the positive history of the confederate flag is that Cork fans would point to is?

Wilie Nelson
Dukes of Hazard

Other emblems do each of the first 2 couplets. Other confederate flags even do that. But the flag of choice is the one that was specifically designed to rally the south to the protection of the god given supremacy of white men over all other races.

It's other uses are
B) A fashion item for people who are ignorant in an era when information is all around them

Cork people seem to want to create a C) category i.e. People who want to copy people in category B) because copying the ignorant is a more acceptable form of ignorance

It's not really why that flag was designed but no matter. If the southern states are removing it then it's time it was consigned to museums.

What was it for then?

tonto1888

Quote from: LCohen on August 19, 2017, 01:08:29 PM

Wilie Nelson
Dukes of Hazard

It's other uses are

What was it for then?

The original flag was too close to the union flag and hard to tell apar on the battlefield
http://www.historynet.com/embattled-banner-the-convoluted-history-of-the-confederate-flag.htm

sid waddell

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 19, 2017, 12:40:34 PM

GEARÓID Ó LOINGSIGH,
Calle,
Bogotá,
Colombia.

Less offensive to who
Less offensive to anybody who recognises international law as it's an internationally recognised flag of an internationally recognised nation state which doesn't impose slavery.

I'd find it about as offensive as I would hearing God Save the Queen played at Croke Park, and I didn't find that offensive.

LCohen

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 19, 2017, 01:36:14 PM

Wilie Nelson
Dukes of Hazard

It's other uses are

What was it for then?

The original flag was too close to the union flag and hard to tell apar on the battlefield
http://www.historynet.com/embattled-banner-the-convoluted-history-of-the-confederate-flag.htm

The square battle flag is the basis of the confederate flag. But it's adaptation and subsequent adoption is very definitely rooted in the god ordained supremacy of the white race

BennyCake

The fact is, I've seen Cork fans fly it since the late 1980's, and never heard a peep about it. Now someone drew attention to it because it coincided with this Charlottesville thing, and now we are all told we should feel disgusted by it.

This is all coming from the big lads in Croke Park, the focus is on the GAA, and it's tarnishing the GAA's name. Well, those same big lads have sat back for 30 years and seen the flag flown, knowing it's significance and meanng, but it's only now they're up in arms about it. Hypocrisy, how are ye?

sid waddell

Quote from: BennyCake on August 19, 2017, 03:14:30 PM
The fact is, I've seen Cork fans fly it since the late 1980's, and never heard a peep about it. Now someone drew attention to it because it coincided with this Charlottesville thing, and now we are all told we should feel disgusted by it.

This is all coming from the big lads in Croke Park, the focus is on the GAA, and it's tarnishing the GAA's name. Well, those same big lads have sat back for 30 years and seen the flag flown, knowing it's significance and meanng, but it's only now they're up in arms about it. Hypocrisy, how are ye?
Again, wilful stupidity.

The argument that something should always be considered acceptable merely because it was once considered acceptable is the dumbest argument possible.

It's the same argument that says the n word should be acceptable today and is an argument for the world to stand still.

It's a pro-stupidity argument and nothing else.

BennyCake

Quote from: sid waddell on August 19, 2017, 03:56:57 PM

Again, wilful stupidity.

The argument that something should always be considered acceptable merely because it was once considered acceptable is the dumbest argument possible.

It's the same argument that says the n word should be acceptable today and is an argument for the world to stand still.

I'm not arguing it's right or wrong to fly it. Only the flag had the same meaning in 1987 as it does now. It's the sway the media put on it now, that we should all be outraged. I'm not. Last week I couldn't give a shit. This week I still don't give a shit.

sid waddell

Quote from: BennyCake on August 19, 2017, 04:10:00 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 19, 2017, 03:56:57 PM

Again, wilful stupidity.

I'm not arguing it's right or wrong to fly it. Only the flag had the same meaning in 1987 as it does now. It's the sway the media put on it now, that we should all be outraged. I'm not. Last week I couldn't give a shit. This week I still don't give a shit.
You're arguing for the world to stand still.

That's a really dumb argument.

tonto1888

Quote from: LCohen on August 19, 2017, 02:56:15 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 19, 2017, 01:36:14 PM

Wilie Nelson
Dukes of Hazard

It's other uses are

What was it for then?

The square battle flag is the basis of the confederate flag. But it's adaptation and subsequent adoption is very definitely rooted in the god ordained supremacy of the white race

The original confederate flag was too close to the union flag. There were incidents of friendly fire during that war so they designed new flags. One was the battle flag of the NVA which was then incorporated into the confederate flag. Whatever it is it was originally a flag of the soldier to identify with on the battlefield

tonto1888

Quote from: sid waddell on August 19, 2017, 01:36:52 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 19, 2017, 12:40:34 PM

GEARÓID Ó LOINGSIGH,
Calle,
Bogotá,
Colombia.

Less offensive to who
Less offensive to anybody who recognises international law as it's an internationally recognised flag of an internationally recognised nation state which doesn't impose slavery.

I'd find it about as offensive as I would hearing God Save the Queen played at Croke Park, and I didn't find that offensive.

The British empire imposed slavery for many many years. That flag would have been seen by many as a flag of slavery. It is every bit as offensive as the 'confederate' flag. It being the flag of an internationally recognised state doesn't change that