U14 Feile

Started by tintin25, June 25, 2017, 12:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too many steps

This is the first year I have heard of any County Feile champions being excluded - last year Div 1 Feile was won by Castleknock - who were the Dublin Feile winners.

whitey

That would probably explain why NY were beating everyone by 20-30 points.

Mayo Champions, Castlebar ran them to within 6 points, but they themselves had hammered everyone in the group stages

Too many steps

Mission accomplished then - new winner - I just hope they weren't taking it more seriously that the teams in Sligo  :P

saffronandblue

The D1 Feile as won by New York had 16 teams. 8 local teams and 8 invited teams such as Portlaoise, Castlebar, New York etc. The invited teams probably won their local Feile. As only 8 counties were invited into D1, then the other counties not included had teams invited to participate in D2, D3.....D10 etc. Next year Mayo reps might be in D2 or D3.  There are a number of regional Feiles for clubs that missed out or were not invited. It's not an all-Ireland title, but in a child's head the main Feile is Number 1, even if it doesn't have all of the best teams competing.

Zulu

That's right, Castleknock won it last year but it's definitely not like it was, i.e. the 32 feile champions in the main tournament. As far as I know there are regional feile competitions to cater for the best teams but it's a mystery how they decide who goes where and what division you get in the main feile. Still a great competition though.

Too many steps

Quote from: saffronandblue on June 26, 2017, 06:07:48 PM
It's not an all-Ireland title, but in a child's head the main Feile is Number 1, even if it doesn't have all of the best teams competing.

True which is why my son wasn't happy to be told that if they won they county feile (which they did) that they wouldn't be going to the main feile.

This is sport after all, and sport is the ultimate meritocracy- if you're the best you should qualify for the main competition no matter what some committe says.

This argument about some teams taking it too seriously doesn't hold water. Most of the teams take it seriously no matter what division they're in.

manfromdelmonte

there's no problem with kids taking it seriously

it's the adults that go completely overboard

Too many steps

To be fair to everyone in Sligo (the adults that is - mentors and fans/parents) their behaviour was excellent given that there were quite a few teams there with high ambitions and expectations. I didn't see one official have to speak to anyone who was outside the field of play.

Still don't agree with not sending the County feile winners to the main event - was trying to check back (is there a list of previous winners anywhere online?) and I think Down last won Div 1 in 2006 - couldn't find a recent Derry winner. Hardly dominant counties and that was the final in Sligo. Its also tough on the kids. Our boys have watched their older club mates, brothers, cousins, neighbouring parishes and school friends qualify by winning the county feile for years. They always knew that the had a fair chance of winning the county and when it came to it, the opportunity was taken away from them. They missed the craic and getting away for a whole weekend as much as the football itself.

Lastly on the comparison between the Sligo teams and NY in the main feile. I believe Ardboe played Burren recently in a friendly - they would probably also be familiar with Magherafelt seeing they are so close. Ardboe also played NY in the QF of Div1.

So is there anyone from Ardboe willing to give a comparison between Burren/Magherafelt and NY?

johnneycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 26, 2017, 06:35:48 PM
there's no problem with kids taking it seriously

it's the adults that go completely overboard

Bang on the money.

whitey

Saw a great sight this morning off the highway on the way into Boston.....a gang of kids playing GAA in the Pope John Paul II park....looked like some sort of camp was going on

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Too many steps on June 27, 2017, 08:35:31 AM
To be fair to everyone in Sligo (the adults that is - mentors and fans/parents) their behaviour was excellent given that there were quite a few teams there with high ambitions and expectations. I didn't see one official have to speak to anyone who was outside the field of play.

Still don't agree with not sending the County feile winners to the main event - was trying to check back (is there a list of previous winners anywhere online?) and I think Down last won Div 1 in 2006 - couldn't find a recent Derry winner. Hardly dominant counties and that was the final in Sligo. Its also tough on the kids. Our boys have watched their older club mates, brothers, cousins, neighbouring parishes and school friends qualify by winning the county feile for years. They always knew that the had a fair chance of winning the county and when it came to it, the opportunity was taken away from them. They missed the craic and getting away for a whole weekend as much as the football itself.

Lastly on the comparison between the Sligo teams and NY in the main feile. I believe Ardboe played Burren recently in a friendly - they would probably also be familiar with Magherafelt seeing they are so close. Ardboe also played NY in the QF of Div1.

So is there anyone from Ardboe willing to give a comparison between Burren/Magherafelt and NY?
the same few clubs win the county Feile all the time so it was the same clubs going to Feile.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Too many steps on June 27, 2017, 08:35:31 AM

Lastly on the comparison between the Sligo teams and NY in the main feile. I believe Ardboe played Burren recently in a friendly - they would probably also be familiar with Magherafelt seeing they are so close. Ardboe also played NY in the QF of Div1. I'd be very surprised if Ardboe had a stronger side than Magherafelt.

Derry clubs have a pretty decent record in the Feile Div1 - possibly the top Ulster county? Ballinderry won back to back in the 90's. Magherafelt won it in 2007 and Glen and Slaughtneil have performed well more recently. I think the Dublin clubs may have won it 5-6 years in a row there prior to Burren winning it.

rosnarun

I heard one the reasons for the changes was some of the AIG-Dublin teams used to stay in training camps rather than host families . the aim is the competition is meant to be fun rather than all all-ireland u-14 championship
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

johnneycool

Quote from: rosnarun on June 28, 2017, 10:41:07 AM
I heard one the reasons for the changes was some of the AIG-Dublin teams used to stay in training camps rather than host families . the aim is the competition is meant to be fun rather than all all-ireland u-14 championship

Dublin teams aren't the only ones who've been at that nonsense.

FFS back years ago, some of the Cork hurling teams were accused of bringing 20 odd other youngsters up on the Sunday morning to take part in the parade rather than their real team who would have been playing in the final later on that day and that was back in the 80's.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: johnneycool on June 28, 2017, 10:45:52 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on June 28, 2017, 10:41:07 AM

Dublin teams aren't the only ones who've been at that nonsense.

FFS back years ago, some of the Cork hurling teams were accused of bringing 20 odd other youngsters up on the Sunday morning to take part in the parade rather than their real team who would have been playing in the final later on that day and that was back in the 80's.

Is the parade usually not before? Like the Friday?