Croke Park - Bags and Shít

Started by Syferus, June 20, 2017, 03:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Taylor on June 22, 2017, 10:22:14 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 22, 2017, 09:58:47 AM
I'm not sure I agree to be honest. I think they try to make their money at a higer levels, and they are making competitive decisions which are influenced by maximising revenue rather than promoting competitions, and that's bad. However I don't think they are gouging us in general. Ticket prices are a bit steep but apart from that it's not too bad.

Also, I suppose we should always remember that the GAA is using it's profits to promote and support the games. They give too much of it straight back to Dublin :) but the rest of us benefit from every euro they make too.

Ticket prices are ludicrous AZ.
Qualifiers were introduced to generate more income - a lot of it from ticket sales from Joe public
Now the Super 8 will generate more money - a lot of it from ticket sales from Joe public
Sky deal - Joe Public has to pay for subscription to watch games

I could go on.

Hand on heart I can say my local club and local clubs around me have not seen any benefit from any of this additional revenue streams.

Westbound - the 80k figure is a moot point. 1 casualty or death is too many so I expect this ruling to be implemented at every county ground immediately. It isnt difficult to enforce.

Ticket prices would be the least of my worries with the GAA. You could argue they are slightly over priced, but not even by a fiver. In fact a fiver will get U16s into Croke Park Sunday, fantastic value.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Taylor

Quote from: westbound on June 22, 2017, 10:30:12 AM
Quote from: Taylor on June 22, 2017, 10:22:14 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 22, 2017, 09:58:47 AM
I'm not sure I agree to be honest. I think they try to make their money at a higer levels, and they are making competitive decisions which are influenced by maximising revenue rather than promoting competitions, and that's bad. However I don't think they are gouging us in general. Ticket prices are a bit steep but apart from that it's not too bad.

Also, I suppose we should always remember that the GAA is using it's profits to promote and support the games. They give too much of it straight back to Dublin :) but the rest of us benefit from every euro they make too.

Ticket prices are ludicrous AZ.
Qualifiers were introduced to generate more income - a lot of it from ticket sales from Joe public
Now the Super 8 will generate more money - a lot of it from ticket sales from Joe public
Sky deal - Joe Public has to pay for subscription to watch games

I could go on.

Hand on heart I can say my local club and local clubs around me have not seen any benefit from any of this additional revenue streams.

Westbound - the 80k figure is a moot point. 1 casualty or death is too many so I expect this ruling to be implemented at every county ground immediately. It isnt difficult to enforce.

I don't agree it's a moot point.
I 100% agree that 1 casualty is too many, but the risk of an attack happening is greater in the bigger crowd.

Would you have no problem with this decision if it was implemented across ALL county grounds in the country?

At least it would demonstrate the Health & Safety of everyone is their only concern

AZOffaly

Taylor, what county are you in? If you are not seeing benefits from the GAA you need to be kicking up hell. Grants, Coaching courses, etc etc are dispersed all across the country.

armaghniac

Quote from: Taylor on June 22, 2017, 08:18:18 AM
With the added focus the GAA now have on the Health & Safety of our patrons I look forward to this rule being brought in at every GAA crowd where a crowd of more than say 20k can be expected.

No doubt this measure will extend to all large games in due course.
They can have or place where anyone with medical needs etc can go along to be searched, while the bulk of the crowd can pass through quickly.

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 22, 2017, 08:45:48 AM]Croke Park running the food shops, or have they not just rented out to various companies. So if the prices go up, that wouldn't be a Croke Park decision I'd have thought?

In Dublin Airport the DAA (not always a consumer friendly organisation) has the airport water bottles for €1, which keeps the prices in the shops under control. This type of thinking would do something for Croke Park too. It is also objectionable that shops in Croke Park do not take Sterling, even if two 6 county teams were playing, Croke park should have some arrangement with Bureau de Change to collect such sterling at the end of the day having required the shops to accept it at a fair rate.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Taylor

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 22, 2017, 11:33:41 AM
Taylor, what county are you in? If you are not seeing benefits from the GAA you need to be kicking up hell. Grants, Coaching courses, etc etc are dispersed all across the country.

Gods Country....Tyrone.

Facilities at county level fantastic..........club level is a whole different ball game

AZOffaly

Ye need to be raising stink over that. A lot of GAA money goes back to county boards to run their teams, but they are supposed to allocate out certain amounts for development, coaching and games, etc.

BennyCake

I think all that matters is the county team. £1m a year running such teams. Club teams and facilities come a distant second to the shop window that is the county team.

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on June 22, 2017, 12:43:35 PM
With the added focus the GAA now have on the Health & Safety of our patrons I look forward to this rule being brought in at every GAA crowd where a crowd of more than say 20k can be expected.

They can have or place where anyone with medical needs etc can go along to be searched, while the bulk of the crowd can pass through quickly.

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 22, 2017, 08:45:48 AM]Croke Park running the food shops, or have they not just rented out to various companies. So if the prices go up, that wouldn't be a Croke Park decision I'd have thought?

In Dublin Airport the DAA (not always a consumer friendly organisation) has the airport water bottles for €1, which keeps the prices in the shops under control. This type of thinking would do something for Croke Park too. It is also objectionable that shops in Croke Park do not take Sterling, even if two 6 county teams were playing, Croke park should have some arrangement with Bureau de Change to collect such sterling at the end of the day having required the shops to accept it at a fair rate.

Should every tuck shop at grounds take sterling? It's not very feasible to say the least. Were talking about Dublin here, not Newry or Enniskillen.

Use plastic. Job done.

Lone Shark

To be honest it just makes good sense for any venue in the south that's hosting thousands of visitors from another currency area to take that currency. Certainly at Croke Park, it should be do-able very easily - worst case scenario, you take notes only at something like £5=€5.50 and give change in euro. Hardly rocket science, should be easy to do. 

I've no idea if we did it at O'Connor Park when Tyrone came down a few years ago but you'd like to think it should be feasible.

armaghniac

Quote from: Syferus on June 22, 2017, 01:35:46 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 22, 2017, 12:43:35 PM

Should every tuck shop at grounds take sterling? It's not very feasible to say the least. Were talking about Dublin here, not Newry or Enniskillen.

Croke Park is the national HQ and should not advantage people from one county over another.

QuoteUse plastic. Job done.

Do such shops take plastic for a bag of crisps?

Taylor

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 22, 2017, 12:55:15 PM
Ye need to be raising stink over that. A lot of GAA money goes back to county boards to run their teams, but they are supposed to allocate out certain amounts for development, coaching and games, etc.
Quote from: BennyCake on June 22, 2017, 01:28:24 PM
I think all that matters is the county team. £1m a year running such teams. Club teams and facilities come a distant second to the shop window that is the county team.

The county team are the only show in town unfortunately. Raising stink has no impact.

The Grab All Assocation is alive and kicking & it is us at grassroots level that continue to pay the price for all of these new marketing initiatives and the no doubt additional cost of not being allowed a certain size of bag into only 1 ground in the country

AZOffaly

I disagree with the notion of the Grab All Association. It's not been my experience at least.

joemamas

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 22, 2017, 04:18:35 PM
I disagree with the notion of the Grab All Association. It's not been my experience at least.

+1

I can find many faults, but I genuinely believe that a lot of funds find their way back to clubs.
Ticket price are very reasonable, especially for Q/finals to final, compared to other sports such as International soccer and rugby.

Digressing, I do hope they really market the Q/finals and playoffs on July 29th 30th, it is a lousy being there when attendance is 30k-40k.

Syferus

Quote from: joemamas on June 22, 2017, 04:35:28 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 22, 2017, 04:18:35 PM

+1

I can find many faults, but I genuinely believe that a lot of funds find their way back to clubs.
Ticket price are very reasonable, especially for Q/finals to final, compared to other sports such as International soccer and rugby.

Digressing, I do hope they really market the Q/finals and playoffs on July 29th 30th, it is a lousy being there when attendance is 30k-40k.

Can't be helped if teams like Kerry, Cork, Tipp are making the QFs.

armaghniac

Quote from: joemamas on June 22, 2017, 04:35:28 PM

it isn't great either when you are not there and the attendance is 30k-40k.

Quote from: Syferus on June 22, 2017, 06:00:03 PM
Can't be helped if teams like Kerry, Cork, Tipp are making the QFs.

They need to bring back Armagh.