Why is Rory Mc Ilroy getting married in the Free State?

Started by T Fearon, April 21, 2017, 06:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avondhu star

Quote from: Orior on April 21, 2017, 09:07:33 PM
My parents called it the Free State.

When I'm in east Belfast I call it the free state to wind up the locals.
It's understandable how Her Majesty's subjects from both traditions would get mixed up
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Orior

The term is derived from being free from british rule. Seems reasonable.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

omochain

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 21, 2017, 07:47:14 PM
Free state is used by those still living in the time capsule of 1922 and who are usually poorly educated
Much similar to their political opponents who are still living in the year 1690

So you are well read on the history of Ireland 1918 thru 1949. Pity you are not showing much sign of it. Try reading some in depth stuff about the Boundary Commission and you will start to notice the lack of empathy that successive Dublin governments had for northern nationalists. Even the soldiers of destiny under Dev gave them the cold shoulder on many occasions. The Free State was the last entity in modern Ireland they thought might bring them to freedom. They soon lost that illusion when the new constitution (courtesy of John Charles McQuaid and DeValera) were introduced in 1937 and the Repubublic Act of 1949 was enacted. Both of which paid lip service to northern nationalists. So the term "Free State" can be a term of fondness and derision for northern nationalists. Fondness in that it was their last shot at realizing the freedom they had fought for and derision because of the hypocrisy of particularly the anti-treaty party who scoffed at their pragmatic approach to negotiating partition when the Boundary Commission was in session.

yellowcard

In my experience very few people in the north refer to the 26 counties as the free state, most would just term it as down south. I think it's more of an older generation thing as I have heard a few people, mostly older people, refer to it as such.

rrhf

Quote from: omochain on April 21, 2017, 10:05:39 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on April 21, 2017, 07:47:14 PM
Free state is used by those still living in the time capsule of 1922 and who are usually poorly educated
Much similar to their political opponents who are still living in the year 1690

So you are well read on the history of Ireland 1918 thru 1949. Pity you are not showing much sign of it. Try reading some in depth stuff about the Boundary Commission and you will start to notice the lack of empathy that successive Dublin governments had for northern nationalists. Even the soldiers of destiny under Dev gave them the cold shoulder on many occasions. The Free State was the last entity in modern Ireland they thought might bring them to freedom. They soon lost that illusion when the new constitution (courtesy of John Charles McQuaid and DeValera) were introduced in 1937 and the Repubublic Act of 1949 was enacted. Both of which paid lip service to northern nationalists. So the term "Free State" can be a term of fondness and derision for northern nationalists. Fondness in that it was their last shot at realizing the freedom they had fought for and derision because of the hypocrisy of particularly the anti-treaty party who scoffed at their pragmatic approach to negotiating partition when the Boundary Commission was in session.
Dublins approach to shame is ostrich and forgetfulness. Very well put.

T Fearon

The Free state has had a lot of names since it's foundation,Free State,Eire,Irish Republic,Down South,26 counties etc.I have no doubt that when the Free State is used everyone knows immediately where people are referring to.I remember years ago,a club mate bemoaning the fact that a "free state"referee was appointed to an Armagh Louth game.

seafoid

We call Norn Irn the Orange Free State in our house. The kids make jokes about the Voortrekkers who went in their wagons from South Belfast to the promised land of North Down .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bennydorano

I still hear Free State used ocassionally. Why do the Mexicans find it so offensive?

weareros

Quote from: Aaron Boone on April 21, 2017, 08:23:04 PM
Has anyone ever stayed in Ashford Castle, what was it like?

Good while ago with the missus. Found the rooms dated with wallpaper geared towards grandmothers, the food excellent and the grounds lovely, in particular the view of Lough Corrib.

BennyCake

I can just picture Rory and the missus flying round the streets of Cong on a tandum.

illdecide

Tony do you think it's any of your business where Rory gets married? and more importantly who gives a f**k.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on April 21, 2017, 10:57:09 PM
We call Norn Irn the Orange Free State in our house. The kids make jokes about the Voortrekkers who went in their wagons from South Belfast to the promised land of North Down .

Does that include Newtownards? You know that place you said was well off  ;D ;D ?

It's funny how we hear the name for the South, free staters was common enough (i'm 45) when I was young in Belfast,  we heard it a lot, deserters could be used depending on how you viewed history. A sense of how the South left the North behind and basically washed its hands of the troubles...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

The most important question is what sort of service are they having. Priest, minister, civil? The public have a right to know!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on April 22, 2017, 12:31:56 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 22, 2017, 12:19:47 AMI was at a wedding in Tipp a couple of years ago and some of the guests (students to he fair) had a a bottle of vodka and a bag of Bud hidden in a bush outside the venue.
The most important question is what sort of service are they having. Priest, minister, civil? The public have a right to know!
??
The important questions are:
1) How much is a pint?
2) Could you keep drink in your room to do ye?

ONeill

3) If ye have a bottle of vodka in yer bag would you be turfed out?
4) Can you bring in a manbag?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.