Catholics make up 78% of free state population.👍👍👍

Started by T Fearon, April 06, 2017, 09:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

According to the 2016 Census statistics.Must say I am pleasantly surprised.This bodes well and must be a huge sickener for the miniscule number of anti Catholics on this board and elsewhere

Avondhu star

Quote from: T Fearon on April 06, 2017, 09:19:15 PM
According to the 2016 Census statistics.Must say I am pleasantly surprised.This bodes well and must be a huge sickener for the miniscule number of anti Catholics on this board and elsewhere
Where is this"free state" mentioned on your post heading?
As a subject of Her Majesty you seem to lacking in education particularly political history
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hardy

Assuming in his ignorance he's referring to this state, I cannot fathom why he's gloating about a 132,200 (3.4%) reduction in the number of Catholics in five years.

Olly

Quote from: Hardy on April 06, 2017, 09:44:43 PM
Assuming in his ignorance he's referring to this state, I cannot fathom why he's gloating about a 132,200 (3.4%) reduction in the number of Catholics in five years.

Does that mean that in 30 years ago there'll be minus catholics? Like less than zero ones. I don't work that out.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

T Fearon

There has been a corresponding reduction of "Catholics" in the North as young people re designate as non religious.Still it is good news that nevertheless 78% of the population of the 26 counties,in spite of relentless negative publicity and outrageous propaganda,still declare themselves as Catholic.

imtommygunn

Do they all practise? I thought you didn't like "the free state" anyway so why would you care?

T Fearon

There may be a significant number who are non practising and misguidedly endorse obscenities like gay marriage (in the pervertec name of equality or compassion) but the mere fact they designate as catholic shows a flicker of faith still resides within.The Church should take encouragement from this and bring that flicker to a flame.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: T Fearon on April 06, 2017, 10:10:06 PM
There may be a significant number who are non practising and misguidedly endorse obscenities like gay marriage (in the pervertec name of equality or compassion) but the mere fact they designate as catholic shows a flicker of faith still resides within.The Church should take encouragement from this and bring that flicker to a flame.

There is nothing to suggest that the Catholic Church in Ireland has any clue on how to turn around its continuing decline in terms of practising/actual members of its congregation.  The demographics of those currently making up the numbers practising their Catholic religion shows that within 20 to 30 years there will barely be anyone regularly attending Church services.

The Church is in chaos, it is now unable to respond the regular scandals which show that it is crumbling at its core.  Its leadership is unable to make the decisions required and it has no strategy for renewal that it can bring to its membership for consultation and believes that a top down organisation can sustain itself in the 21st century.  The leadership of bishops have an average age well into their 70s, the priesthood has an average age of those working in parishes in its late 60s and only 7 priests will be ordained in 2017.

Most of the 78% of the population in RoI are nominal Catholics, i.e. they have received the sacraments of baptism, communion, confession, confirmation and possibly matrimony and will probably wish to avail of extreme unction but they are no longer regular attenders at Church services.  In the RoI, they will still present their children for baptism because the Church still controls the education system and makes baptism a condition of admittance.

The turmoil within the Catholic Church in Ireland is seen in the political events in appointments to being a bishop, parish priests, deployment of priests to parishes and the failure to deal efficiently and effectively with those priests accused of wrongdoing while leaving them in effective limbo.  The papal nuncio has become a casualty of politicking by Rome as he is moved from a handy number in Dublin to be sent to a post in Albania.

How Tony can be happy for the Catholic Church in its current state of chaos and spiralling decline?

T Fearon

The imminent papal visit is a potential game changer and could well be a catalyst for renewal.As I said there is at least a Flicker in everyone who freely designated as Catholic,and this is highly encouraging given all the recent negative publicity.

Eamonnca1

The non-religious are now bigger than all minority religions combined. That's up 76.3% since 2011. The proportion of Catholics has gone as follows:

86.83% in 2006
84.16% in 2011
78% in 2016

That's a drop of 132,220 since 2011.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on April 06, 2017, 11:15:12 PM
The imminent papal visit is a potential game changer and could well be a catalyst for renewal.As I said there is at least a Flicker in everyone who freely designated as Catholic,and this is highly encouraging given all the recent negative publicity.

The last papal visit didn't seem to work out so well in the long run, did it?

stew

Quote from: T Fearon on April 06, 2017, 11:15:12 PM

The Argentinian coming will absolutely have no effect on me or mine, I am done with the Catholic Church.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 06, 2017, 10:53:35 PM

Most of the 78% of the population in RoI are nominal Catholics, i.e. they have received the sacraments of baptism, communion, confession, confirmation and possibly matrimony and will probably wish to avail of extreme unction but they are no longer regular attenders at Church services.  In the RoI, they will still present their children for baptism because the Church still controls the education system and makes baptism a condition of admittance.

Yup. I'd say access to the state-funded education system is probably a bigger motivator for people going through the baptism nonsense.

Peer pressure and tradition is probably the driving force behind the industry selling those creepy wedding dresses for small girls at  communion and confirmation time.

The figures for catholics is probably overstated, while the figures for non-believers is probably understated since a fair few people put in the likes of "Hare-Krishna" and "Jedi" for the crack.