Catholics make up 78% of free state population.👍👍👍

Started by T Fearon, April 06, 2017, 09:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 18, 2017, 04:08:51 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on April 17, 2017, 08:45:11 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 17, 2017, 06:11:21 PM
Catholicism usurped the Early Christianity in Ireland, through imposition of doctrine and Canon law, which had earlier usurped the Celtic polytheism through clever adoption of patronage, important religious dates and feast days

I'm sure Aethisim or Humanism will sowly take over from the other isms that have dominated culture over the past few thousand years on the island

You do also realise that most of the stuff in the new testament was written down maybe 200/300 years (at least) after the event?
I can't even write an account of what i did last weekend

Even the most ardent prominent proponents of atheism/anti-theism dont forsee that happening, thats because theism/faith is part of our inherent makeup and your aforementioned paradigms simply teach us to suppress it.

Course education is hailed as the rise of said paradigms and the downfall of religion, but the irony is that its down to a partial education. A more fuller more rounded education would give a better understanding of thought, logic and the fallacy of using empiricism as dogma are the reason for their rise.
So actually as education improves further we may well see a rebound in theism, also our inherent makeup isnt going anywhere either so if your still suppressing yours you'll have to just get used to all the people that arent.
Faith isn't really part of our make up
It's just that we have the intelligence to be able to conjure it and buy into it unlike all other known creatures
And society conditions us to find an ism that conforms to our education and rationale

I'm a bit meh when it comes to isms.

Would the historical fact that pretty much every human society that has ever developed on earth has formed an organised religion not indicate otherwise. Also even children raised in atheism environments develop a spiritual belief, I'm pretty sure its in all of us if we are honest with ourselves, tho can't speak for everyone.

The Iceman

I think faith and the longing for God is very much part of our makeup...
Give an animal food, water, shelter - it will lay down and fall asleep content. Give a man food, water, shelter and we are still restless. You can fill your life with all kinds of crap, material stuff and you're still restless. Nothing can fill the God shaped hole in your heart but God.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 18, 2017, 04:39:27 AM
Catholicism usurped the Early Christianity in Ireland, through imposition of doctrine and Canon law, which had earlier usurped the Celtic polytheism through clever adoption of patronage, important religious dates and feast days

I'm sure Aethisim or Humanism will sowly take over from the other isms that have dominated culture over the past few thousand years on the island

You do also realise that most of the stuff in the new testament was written down maybe 200/300 years (at least) after the event?

Even the most ardent prominent proponents of atheism/anti-theism dont forsee that happening, thats because theism/faith is part of our inherent makeup and your aforementioned paradigms simply teach us to suppress it.

Course education is hailed as the rise of said paradigms and the downfall of religion, but the irony is that its down to a partial education. A more fuller more rounded education would give a better understanding of thought, logic and the fallacy of using empiricism as dogma are the reason for their rise.
So actually as education improves further we may well see a rebound in theism, also our inherent makeup isnt going anywhere either so if your still suppressing yours you'll have to just get used to all the people that arent.
It's just that we have the intelligence to be able to conjure it and buy into it unlike all other known creatures
And society conditions us to find an ism that conforms to our education and rationale

Would the historical fact that pretty much every human society that has ever developed on earth has formed an organised religion not indicate otherwise. Also even children raised in atheism environments develop a spiritual belief, I'm pretty sure its in all of us if we are honest with ourselves, tho can't speak for everyone.

But historically we didn't have the depth of knowledge that we do now. The longing for explanation was there, but the information to fill that gap wasn't. Lightning wasn't the result of an electrical charge, it had to be an angry god lashing out! Now I know you probably think that the growing body of knowledge is incomplete without considering the possible metaphysical or philosophical aspects, but that doesn't appear to be the case for a growing proportion of people. Perhaps, as you said in an earlier post, that still reflects a lack of education and knowledge with a gap still there in terms of those issues, assuming for the sake of argument you are correct, but nevertheless more people are living satisfied lives without a god aspect.

To reference Iceman's post, there's no "God shaped hole" in my personal psyche. I agree that food, water and shelter might be enough for an animal on a particular night, but they also experience the urge to reproduce and, in many species, nurture, which is what drives much of our psychological well being.

What do you mean by "spiritual beliefs" in the case of kids raised in atheist households?

I'm interested because that would include my own (my pair are 2 and 5).

seafoid

Humans are herd animals who feel the need to belong. It explains religion. But doesn't mean religion is rational.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eamonnca1

Quote from: The Iceman on April 18, 2017, 05:53:19 PM
Give an animal food, water, shelter - it will lay down and fall asleep content. Give a man food, water, shelter and we are still restless. You can fill your life with all kinds of crap, material stuff and you're still restless. Nothing can fill the God shaped hole in your heart but God.

If I had a hole in my heart I'd be going in for an operation.

Itchy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 18, 2017, 07:04:36 PM

I've no problem with a god shaped hole in my heart. When I'm restless I set myself a new challenge. I think people deep problems are the type that turn to God for help, it's a place of last resort.

The Iceman

Quote from: Itchy on April 18, 2017, 07:20:44 PM

I've no problem with a god shaped hole in my heart. When I'm restless I set myself a new challenge. I think people deep problems are the type that turn to God for help, it's a place of last resort.
after every challenge you're still restless though..... and the people who aren't are the one with problems.....

and Eamonn it's a hair transplant you need first lad..... :P
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

omaghjoe

Quote from: J70 on April 18, 2017, 06:14:45 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on April 18, 2017, 04:39:27 AM

But historically we didn't have the depth of knowledge that we do now. The longing for explanation was there, but the information to fill that gap wasn't. Lightning wasn't the result of an electrical charge, it had to be an angry god lashing out! Now I know you probably think that the growing body of knowledge is incomplete without considering the possible metaphysical or philosophical aspects, but that doesn't appear to be the case for a growing proportion of people. Perhaps, as you said in an earlier post, that still reflects a lack of education and knowledge with a gap still there in terms of those issues, assuming for the sake of argument you are correct, but nevertheless more people are living satisfied lives without a god aspect.

To reference Iceman's post, there's no "God shaped hole" in my personal psyche. I agree that food, water and shelter might be enough for an animal on a particular night, but they also experience the urge to reproduce and, in many species, nurture, which is what drives much of our psychological well being.

What do you mean by "spiritual beliefs" in the case of kids raised in atheist households?

I'm interested because that would include my own (my pair are 2 and 5).

I'd go easy with how much we know, we really know feck all in the grand scheme of things and as we appear to gain knowledge it appears the horizon of total knowledge just expands. Interestingly a sort of classical fractal pattern that a computer program might use and that we already see everywhere around us.

Well as you say if people are using science and empirical knowledge as vindication that there is no God they are committing a massive logical fallacy. But as education becomes fuller we should begin to iron that one out.
If you understand that and say there is no such thing as God, the supernatural, and that the Universe is only material, then you will understand that you are ironically placing faith in that belief with empiricism as your dogma. And the often quoted argument against that is that its the most likely, well that is not true. The most likely thing is an Idealist universe.... perhaps generated by a computer program?

As far as Iceman goes, in less metaphoric terms I think he's ultimately he's taking about a reason for living. Whats yours? The only logical one for a materialist is there is none as he is in an illusion of photons, time and choice until it all stops. If thats the case why pursue your relationships or even life itself?

Kids and God....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/3512686/Children-are-born-believers-in-God-academic-claims.html

Itchy

Quote from: The Iceman on April 18, 2017, 07:31:59 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 18, 2017, 07:20:44 PM

after every challenge you're still restless though..... and the people who aren't are the one with problems.....

I best get down to the local church so and I'll never need a challenge again, what bliss.

J70

Why does one need  a "reason" to live?

And how this manifest itself in terms of a supposed higher power and religion or spiritual belief?

omaghjoe

Quote from: J70 on April 18, 2017, 08:45:31 PM

And how this manifest itself in terms of a supposed higher power and religion or spiritual belief?

Are you serious?? If you have no reason to live then regretably the question would have to be asked.... why would you bother living? 

A spiritual reason for living stems from a sense of actual self, that we are more than just flesh and bones. From the intution of free will, morality, and our experience of life. And that we are being guided on our path.
If you have any or all of these things, you can try and reason them away with various theories telling you they arent there, they are an illusion but they wont really leave you, the only way you'll ever satisfy them is by listening to them and fulfiling their needs.
A religion is a group of souls who wish to consolidate their spirituality within a community

foxcommander

Quote from: The Iceman on April 18, 2017, 07:31:59 PM

More in need of a brain transplant ;)
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

ONeill

Some of that religiony talk scares the dung outta me.

My reason for living is that me ma and da were at it in a caravan in Bundoran in 1974 and I quite enjoy life. And I get to see my lovely dentist.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Itchy

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 18, 2017, 10:37:02 PM

Are you serious?? If you have no reason to live then regretably the question would have to be asked.... why would you bother living? 

A spiritual reason for living stems from a sense of actual self, that we are more than just flesh and bones. From the intution of free will, morality, and our experience of life. And that we are being guided on our path.
If you have any or all of these things, you can try and reason them away with various theories telling you they arent there, they are an illusion but they wont really leave you, the only way you'll ever satisfy them is by listening to them and fulfiling their needs.
A religion is a group of souls who wish to consolidate their spirituality within a community

I see words, some sentences (capital letters at the start, full stops at the end) but I cannot understand a f**king thing you are saying lad.

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 18, 2017, 10:37:02 PM

"Reason" in quotes, Joe. :)

I have plenty of reasons to live, if we need to list things as such that make life fulfilling. None of them have anything whatsoever to do with religion or a higher power or purpose or the motivation of a supposed afterlife. That doesn't mean I think thoughts and emotions and attachments and so on "aren't there".