Ladies football

Started by ExiledGael, May 07, 2007, 03:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you pay in to watch ladies football?

Yes
65 (52%)
No
60 (48%)

Total Members Voted: 123

sligoman2

Is my calling you sexist for being sexist playing a card or stating the facts.
Over and out. 
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on September 30, 2016, 12:21:05 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 29, 2016, 09:04:33 PM
People who try to dress up their prejudices in a nightgown of constructive criticism are easy to see a mile away.

You can be quite wise when you're talking about stuff other than mens' football, Syf.
More especially when Mayo football isn't the subject under discussion.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

sid waddell

Quote from: sligoman2 on September 30, 2016, 06:56:58 PM
Is my calling you sexist for being sexist playing a card or stating the facts.
Over and out.
Facts?

Seriously?

You haven't used any facts.

Flesh out what you mean by "facts".

macdanger2

Quote from: Zulu on September 28, 2016, 11:45:08 AM
Oh right, I thought that was a wind up. I coach our U12 girls the proper pick up primarily because it is a very good skill for developing athletic ability and balance. They are all well able to do it after practicing like the boys. The reason they don't implement it in the ladies game is because, like we've discussed in the men's game, it may not be a skill that adds to the game. I actually think there's plenty of merit in removing the pick up from the men's game to speed it up and remove a decision for referees that can be difficult to implement correctly all the time. Wasn't there doubts over a Bastick pick up in the All Ireland final?

So, basically the girls are well able to perform the pick up but those formulating the rules decided the pick up wasn't a skill they wanted to transfer. As odd a thing to focus on as using a size 5 ball I'd have thought.

Have to say I disagree on the pick up thing, I used to think it was pointless but watching the women's football without it, you sometimes see wrestles on the ground for a loose ball which end up in a throw up. In men's, this would be much more frequent. In order to get your foot under the ball, you have to be someway in control of it. Changing the rule would just end up in rucks imo

imtommygunn

Did i read that cora staunton scored 5-15 in a club game??

On the womens rugby the world cup is in ireland this year.

magpie seanie

She's doing quite well. What an amazing footballer.

longballin

So Tyrone ladies beat Down in Ulster semi-final by about 40 points a few weeks ago and on Sunday will play them in the Ulster final  :o

befair

So? Dublin men have beaten Wicklow and Longford by cricket scores

Itchy

Jaysus I though Sid was a warrior for women's rights and here he is being a tad sexist.

longballin

Quote from: befair on June 12, 2018, 06:32:47 PM

aye but playing a team in the final that you annihilated in the semi-final?

befair

Quote from: longballin on June 12, 2018, 10:24:40 PM
Quote from: befair on June 12, 2018, 06:32:47 PM

aye but playing a team in the final that you annihilated in the semi-final?

It's a back door, just as in the men's game. Women's football also have intermediate + junior levels.

Jinxy

Full-back Orlagh Lally having a stormer for Meath.
Should be playing much further up the field from now on though.
Stacey Grimes excellent at wing-forward as well.
Young team, will benefit from the experience.
Tyrone just too fit, too well-organised and too clinical for them.
Meath girls carrying the ball into the tackle and Tyrone defenders turning them over at will.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

befair

The Ladies' finals are always a great occasion, but the first 2 matches have been over by half-time (as was the Sam Maguire). Hope the senior final will be more competitive