Dup will never allow Irish language act

Started by uimhr ocht, February 06, 2017, 05:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: winghalfun on February 07, 2017, 12:04:41 PM
QuoteIn fairness this will be the first time I will actually cast a vote in an election. Either I've not bothered before or spoiled because the quality of politics in NI is appalling really.

This time I will vote for Sinn Fein though as I think the time is right for the DUP to get properly nailed.

My wife (who never votes Sinn Fein) is this time going to vote for Sinn Fein. 

You never know.

The Shinners don't have the base in Strangford to upset the applecart, but the SDLP have an outside chance, but the biggest option is an ex camog of ours who's standing for the Alliance and got in last time, but with one less candidate she'll have her work cut out for her.

Quote from: theskull1 on February 07, 2017, 12:14:27 PM
The DUP has got such a hammering over the RHI scandal they (in their eyes) have to saturate their electorate with their tried and tested "Orange vs Green" dialogues. I'm convinced they have a "stepford wives" electorate. Just press the "Orange & Green" button and you have them regardless of how theyve behaved in government or the hope they offer this place. Fear is a powerful motivator

The local Newtownards rag had a vox pop piece the other day and certainly the Orange and Green card seemed to be working as "Arlene made a mistake, but we can't let themmuns get in" was the overriding feeling, Newtownards has a history of being every bit as bad as the Craigavons back in the day, so hardly surprising.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteIn fairness this will be the first time I will actually cast a vote in an election. Either I've not bothered before or spoiled because the quality of politics in NI is appalling really.

This time I will vote for Sinn Fein though as I think the time is right for the DUP to get properly nailed.

You never know.

If I lived in Norn Iron I would consider it too.

That Arelene Foster yoke boils my pee - it's not like Irish was the first language of the area she lives in for 1,000 years before her forebears stepped in. Equating it to Polish my hole. I thought Paisley was bad (and he was), I thought Peter the Punt was bad (and he was too) but she is the dourest, most narrow-minded, bigoted hateful auld melt I have seen in a long time.

armaghniac

Quote from: screenexile on February 07, 2017, 11:43:05 AM
This time I will vote for Sinn Fein though as I think the time is right for the DUP to get properly nailed. The RHI scandal should hit them with many of apathetic voters and should send a decent amount over to Mike TV. Along with that the doubling down of the anti nationalist rhetoric should mobilise a lot of apathetic Nationalist voters to shift towards Sinn Fein.

First and foremost it will hopefully ensure that a lot of apathetic Nationalist voters actually vote, and not just for Sinn Féin but that they carry on for all the anti Brexit parties, and even the UU. The GFA was an imperfect deal, but the idea behind it was a useful one and the DUP are going full tilt to dismantle this, and people need to vote to stop them.

It does make you wonder about the unionist electorate though, the presumption being that while you always had hardliners, you also had a substantial cohort that wanted some sort of power sharing to work. But in Fermanagh you have big numbers voting for Foster, despite the fact that about the only business in Fermanagh is cross border or agribusiness, and so adversely affected by Brexit and since stirring the pot is not likely to lead to a unionist outcome for West of the Bann,  as the outcome could be disorder, effective re-partition etc.

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 07, 2017, 12:32:57 PM
That Arelene Foster yoke boils my pee - it's not like Irish was the first language of the area she lives in for 1,000 years before her forebears stepped in. Equating it to Polish my hole. I thought Paisley was bad (and he was), I thought Peter the Punt was bad (and he was too) but she is the dourest, most narrow-minded, bigoted hateful auld melt I have seen in a long time.

Was it the Guardian that described her as everyone's idea of a 1970s Aeroflot hostess. Making us look back on Paisley and Robinson as having some merits too some doing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 07, 2017, 12:32:57 PM

You never know.

If I lived in Norn Iron I would consider it too.

Most of the place-names in NI come from Gaeilge.  So it is a threat to Unionist identity. Because there was something in the holy land before the settlers. Every time Arlene says Enniskillen is a reminder of that.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

north_antrim_hound

Spot on skull

Your average unionist will always indulge in the tactical vote regardless of how they really feel about their representatives and fair play to them they show up in their droves on voting day
It's inherently brainwashed into them form an early age and Foster and co are just stirring the sometimes dormant bitterness for a continued electorate  monopoly
Time for Nationalist  to adopt the same mindset as the demographics suggest we are to aphatetic compared to our unionist neighbours
Vote vote vote vote

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

omagh_gael

What's the craic in Fermanagh/South Tyrone this time round? Mike TV has (better late than never) got rid of the joint 'understanding' to not run against each other in tight constituencies. What's the thoughts on seat breakdown? Two SF, Two DUP one between either SDLP (McPhillips) and UUP (unsure of candidate).

Rossfan

Lads and lassies - vote all the way down the ballot paper till you come to DUP.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

foxcommander

Is Arlene's new stance just to cover up the boiler scandal? That's one way to deflect attention and re-focus her voters on the real issue (i.e SF/IRA/Irish Language)
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: johnneycool on February 07, 2017, 12:29:59 PM

You never know.

The Shinners don't have the base in Strangford to upset the applecart, but the SDLP have an outside chance, but the biggest option is an ex camog of ours who's standing for the Alliance and got in last time, but with one less candidate she'll have her work cut out for her.

Quote from: theskull1 on February 07, 2017, 12:14:27 PM
The DUP has got such a hammering over the RHI scandal they (in their eyes) have to saturate their electorate with their tried and tested "Orange vs Green" dialogues. I'm convinced they have a "stepford wives" electorate. Just press the "Orange & Green" button and you have them regardless of how theyve behaved in government or the hope they offer this place. Fear is a powerful motivator

The local Newtownards rag had a vox pop piece the other day and certainly the Orange and Green card seemed to be working as "Arlene made a mistake, but we can't let themmuns get in" was the overriding feeling, Newtownards has a history of being every bit as bad as the Craigavons back in the day, so hardly surprising.

JC
I thought I read johnathon bell was standing as an independent in strangford
The nationalist vote is up against it the same as up here in north Antrim
Can bell take a seat of the DUP if so job done
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Jim_Murphy_74

From the outside looking in this is definitely one you file under the sectarian bigotry category.

Question is that because that is what Arlene is, or if she is playing to the gallery for electoral reasons.

If one wanted to show compromise or reaching out I would have thought a watery language act and a bit of funding thrown towards it would be a low hanging fruit. 

Painting it as part of a Sinn Féin attack on all things unionist seems an odd thing, but I guess they need a bogey man to get their electorate out.

Arlene seems to have quite the chip about the republican movement (given her background that is understandable) and a complete inability to separate that chip from the rest of nationalist/catholic population.  That will continue to cause issues going forward.

/Jim.

armaghniac

Quote from: omagh_gael on February 07, 2017, 12:52:27 PM
What's the craic in Fermanagh/South Tyrone this time round? Mike TV has (better late than never) got rid of the joint 'understanding' to not run against each other in tight constituencies. What's the thoughts on seat breakdown? Two SF, Two DUP one between either SDLP (McPhillips) and UUP (unsure of candidate).

The UU always ran in assembly elections, with 5 seats and PR, why not. Nesbitt's mettle will be shown in FTP Westminster elections.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on February 07, 2017, 12:56:55 PM
Lads and lassies - vote all the way down the ballot paper till you come to DUP.

That's the thing with PR. It's as much about voting against people as for them if you use it correctly.

haranguerer

Quote from: armaghniac on February 07, 2017, 01:57:48 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on February 07, 2017, 12:52:27 PM

The UU always ran in assembly elections, with 5 seats and PR, why not. Nesbitt's mettle will be shown in FTP Westminster elections.

Getting mixed up in westminster and local I think - thats where the agreements were, and will be interesting to see come the next one. Mike tried to portray his last deal as a masterstroke designed to see the inner workings of the DUP! What a tool

omagh_gael

Upon doing a bit of research on the assembly thread I noticed that error. Interestingly there appears to be a significant drop off in voter turnout in unionist v nationalist areas. If the green vote gets back up to where it was ten years ago and they start using PR voting correctly they could hit the DUP hard. Getting them under 30 seats is the target.

Has anybody had the Shinners at their door yet? Interested to see if they start to advocate or direct towards voting down the paper.

Taylor

What would you expect from a pig only a grunt.
Arlene trying to appeal to lowest common denominator as per usual.

After the boiler scandal she knows this is the thing to save her. If you dont vote for me the Sinners will pass the Irish language vote, erode away your Britishness etc etc

Smart move on DUP part and shows the mentality of what turns on many of the voters up here.

Sad sad state of affairs and why the place is still a mess