Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

I'd say the tories will call another Assembly election here on the 8th June as well.

screenexile

I think a Westminster election is the last thing that will help SF. I know personally I voted for them in the Assembly election because of Arlene/DUP arrogance and the chance to show them that they can't disregard the Nationalist/Republican community.

However Sinn Fein don't go to Westminster so what is the point in voting for them if they're not going to represent me?! They are not going to perform as well as this time around and Unionists will be forming pacts all over the shop. Unless they change their strategy they could be in difficulty here!

LeoMc

An STV and a FPTP election on one day will lead to too many spoiled votes.

armaghniac

Quote from: LeoMc on April 18, 2017, 02:50:48 PM

Well that is one way of weeding out those not suited to voting.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Accoring to Charlie Flanagan the Irish Gov is concerned about the election for NI. WherEs the Tories could not care less.

LeoMc

Quote from: armaghniac on April 18, 2017, 03:03:24 PM

Well that is one way of weeding out those not suited to voting.
A very valid point.

GJL

Hopefully that hateful rat Tom Elliot will get retired in FWT.

imtommygunn

Quote from: screenexile on April 18, 2017, 02:40:12 PM
I think a Westminster election is the last thing that will help SF. I know personally I voted for them in the Assembly election because of Arlene/DUP arrogance and the chance to show them that they can't disregard the Nationalist/Republican community.

However Sinn Fein don't go to Westminster so what is the point in voting for them if they're not going to represent me?! They are not going to perform as well as this time around and Unionists will be forming pacts all over the shop. Unless they change their strategy they could be in difficulty here!

I think so too and back to the same old shite.

Avondhu star

If the great unwashed can manage working out a Lucky 15 then a ballot paper should be childs play
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

LeoMc

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 18, 2017, 06:26:22 PM
If the great unwashed can manage working out a Lucky 15 then a ballot paper should be childs play
I would like to see both run off together, as well as filtering out the less literate it would make any unionist pacts less likely as they would be competing for Assembly seats in the same constituencies.

Applesisapples

It matters not whether we have elections to Stormont or Westminster. I listen to the shite spouted about having a voice in London what nonsense as the Tory's won't listen any way. Robin Swann will do a pact as Unionism continues to self destruct.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: AQMP on April 19, 2017, 10:41:31 AM
I've picked up a few rumours (only rumours mind) that SF are mooting an Anti-Brexit pact with the SDLP and Alliance.  Can't really see that working.
Especially since it'll be purely designed to boost SF as was the plan for the pact they offered to the SDLP 2 years ago, which amounted to the SDLP holding their own 3 seats and SF going after the rest. Something like that would see SF giving Alliance a free run in places where the SF vote is quite small anyway, and hoping the SDLP would further marginalise themselves to allow SF dominate nationalism even further. The complicating thing this time is that the SDLP seats are more vulnerable going by the Assembly results than they were on 2015's.

omagh_gael

Quote from: AQMP on April 19, 2017, 10:41:31 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 19, 2017, 10:22:30 AM
It matters not whether we have elections to Stormont or Westminster. I listen to the shite spouted about having a voice in London what nonsense as the Tory's won't listen any way. Robin Swann will do a pact as Unionism continues to self destruct.

I thought the UUP had a pact with the SDLP??  The UUP and DUP will merge within 5 years.  I'd very much doubt we'll have two elections on the same day here.  You couldn't have the UUP and DUP backing each other on one ballot paper and opposing each other on the other.

I've picked up a few rumours (only rumours mind) that SF are mooting an Anti-Brexit pact with the SDLP and Alliance.  Can't really see that working.

Mark Durkan was making noises on the Nolan show similar to those rumours. A one off anti-brexit consensus would send a relatively strong message out to the rest of the UK, even though the north barely registers on the Westminster Richter scale.

Rossfan

A once off pact makes total sense due to the undemocratic Westminster voting system.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

yellowcard

An anti Brexit electoral approach is a sensible approach since this is the very reason for the election and the issue that will dominate the campaign more than any other. I'n not sure Westminister elections have an awful lot of significance in relation to the north in terms of policy implementation though other than to give a snapshot of electoral support at a given moment.

The UUP's flip flopping from DUP to SDLP and likely back to the DUP again is a poor reflection on the party and a sign that they don'/t really know what the direction they want the party to go. They are in danger of getting swallowed up completely by the DUP after this election.