Stormont Assembly Elections 2017

Started by give her dixie, January 13, 2017, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: Main Street on March 06, 2017, 09:06:43 PM
The MLAs shouldn't get paid until the Assembly is functioning, expenses only reimbursed.
That might give them an incentive to cut out a part of the waffle.

Ah no, its you again, this will just look like a vendetta  ;D , but I always hate this type of populist comment, usually strewn over facebook along with disparaging comments about those on the hill, collects loads of 'likes'...

You're suggesting politicians should work for free? And you expect to have quality people to represent you? Presumably you wouldn't think it a good thing if they were all independently wealthy, which would be the only way this could work?

That's not to mention that the implication of what you say is that you would be encouraging the politicians to put their own self interest ahead of those they represent. I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of how its supposed to work.

Brick Tamlin

Nolan now.
I don't listen that often but it would make you despair.
Some knuckledragger on talking about a combined loyalist military council..wtf!!!

seafoid

Is there really a nationalist majority? Do people know what the religious split of the Alliance vote was ?

sensethetone

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on March 07, 2017, 09:28:55 AM
Nolan now.
Some knuckledragger on talking about a combined loyalist military council..wtf!!!
Nolan should have pushed that guy to explain what that group was about and how they got funded it would have been more interesting than the rest of the Nolan show.

Nolan pointed out often enough how many votes the DUP had gotten, it was like if he got their whole attention lambasting SF for trying to bring big Arlene into disrepute, it would be a good mornings work as he'd have a minimum of quarter of a million listeners.

haranguerer

Quote from: seafoid on March 07, 2017, 09:44:02 AM
Is there really a nationalist majority? Do people know what the religious split of the Alliance vote was ?

Its would be often seen as soft unionist, so highly unlikely there is an effective (if not designated) nationalist majority

north_antrim_hound

Nolan now.

History suggest that this sort of thing was gonna happen if the union might be showing signs of being compromised
sure isn't it a pledge to take up arms if the union is threatened when joining the orange order  ( i could be wrong on this )

Whatever format a UI comes in will bring nasty reprisals unfortunately
Do we honestly think the hardliners in loyalist areas are gonna roll over and think
This is democracy so that's ok
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Main Street

Quote from: haranguerer on March 07, 2017, 08:18:35 AM
Quote from: Main Street on March 06, 2017, 05:08:52 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 06, 2017, 05:05:36 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 06, 2017, 03:34:57 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 06, 2017, 03:18:01 PM

Still, I think Adams was being premature with his statement of some certainty.

How? There is now a nationalist majority, you think its premature to say the idea that there will be always a unionist majority has been demolished? Its stating the blindingly obvious.

I don't think he needed to say that the "IDEA" of a Unionist majority has been demolished. . . he should be speaking positively about Nationalism/Republicanism there was no need to mention the Unionists demise let them worry about it.

It's so important going forward for Sinn Fein to take the higher ground on everything, although it didn't work for Clinton the mantra "When they go low we go high" should be SF's new motto!!!
Politically Adam's statement is premature. And already that word in bold (idea) has been lost in the headline.

The very thing unionists fear, is everything they value being demolished, annihilated.
If and when Sinn Fein can be the first party, the unionist veto will still remain.
A situation will change but the unionists will react to that dynamic.
And that type of dynamic does not have that much appeal, does it?
At least not a destroyed forever appeal about it.

What's the goal?
Is the goal, a majority in a referendum voting to leave the UK? Hardly you can say right now that the idea of a majority voting to remain in the UK has been demolished for ever.

Yes, lost in some of the headlines. Propagated by comments here and elsewhere based on those erroneous headlines. How long will it take for the penny to drop that headlines aren't usually a good guide? Still think Elvis lives on the moon? Probably best to read the full thing before commenting.

And now we're talking about a referendum? First commenting on something he didn't say, then deciding for him what he should have been talking about so as to make his statement fit with your first evaluation of it  ::)
Now you are surmising and being flippant while deliberately making erroneous extrapolations in a boring pedantic condescending manner.
I explained why I thought Adams' statement was politically premature. I read and heard all of what Adams was quoted as saying on the matter.
Afaic, it's way too early to make enthusiastic proclamations about his belief that the idea of a unionist majority is demolished forever.

Main Street

Quote from: haranguerer on March 07, 2017, 08:32:13 AM
Quote from: Main Street on March 06, 2017, 09:06:43 PM
The MLAs shouldn't get paid until the Assembly is functioning, expenses only reimbursed.
That might give them an incentive to cut out a part of the waffle.

Ah no, its you again, this will just look like a vendetta  ;D , but I always hate this type of populist comment, usually strewn over facebook along with disparaging comments about those on the hill, collects loads of 'likes'...

You're suggesting politicians should work for free? And you expect to have quality people to represent you? Presumably you wouldn't think it a good thing if they were all independently wealthy, which would be the only way this could work?

That's not to mention that the implication of what you say is that you would be encouraging the politicians to put their own self interest ahead of those they represent. I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of how its supposed to work.
Oh look, it's the keyboard pedant again, how exciting.
Yes haranguerer I made a flippant comment when I read an  article the BT that 3 months is the expected end date for the assembly to be up and running, i hope the comment has not caused you too much stress.

quote from the article

Pat McCartan, the previous chair of the Independent Financial Review Panel
has written to the Secretary of State to make the recommendations for after direct rule is in place, if it is required.
He said it was important an Assembly was up and running and that the people trusted it.
"Frankly we think three months is long enough in order to get people into the legislative Assembly for which they are paid," he told the BBC.

haranguerer

You're entitled to comment, as am I. Given its a discussion board, you shouldn't be surprised that your comment may be commented upon.

I disagree with both your comments and have pointed out why - your refutation of the first one doesn't carry any weight, fair enough if the second was flippant but its still stupid. As is that former committee getting involved - a trio of attention seekers

Orior

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 07, 2017, 10:49:55 AM
Nolan now.

History suggest that this sort of thing was gonna happen if the union might be showing signs of being compromised
sure isn't it a pledge to take up arms if the union is threatened when joining the orange order  ( i could be wrong on this )

Whatever format a UI comes in will bring nasty reprisals unfortunately
Do we honestly think the hardliners in loyalist areas are gonna roll over and think
This is democracy so that's ok

Ah sure they'll re-draw the border around north antrim, lol. Cheaper than importing arms.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AhNowRef

Aye they can keep Larne & Ballymena  :o lol

AhNowRef

What about the dissident position after this? .. surely they will f*ck off the scene now .. I mean, if an AI is what they're interested in surely they can see movement there now .... What the feck do they think their purpose is anyway  :-[ ...

ziggysego

Quote from: seafoid on March 07, 2017, 09:44:02 AM

No, there isn't a nationalist majority. Neither is there a unionist majority for the first time since the foundation of the north.
Testing Accessibility

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: AhNowRef on March 07, 2017, 02:06:53 PM
Aye they can keep Larne & Ballymena  :o lol

Come on lads no one gets left behind 😃
Sure SF topped the FP votes up here for the first time ever
I mm with you on the larne bit all the same
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets