Martin Mc Guinness Passes Away at 66

Started by vallankumous, January 09, 2017, 10:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leenie

I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

yellowcard

Fantastic speech by Clinton, you can sense the genuine affinity he has with the Irish people and he said all the right things. He oozes authority and it is easy to see how he was one of the critical figures in trying to broker a deal all those years ago. He also managed to inadvertently massage Enda's ego when the main purpose was getting a dig in at Trump.

gallsman

A bit rambling and incoherent from Gerry to be honest.

stew

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 23, 2017, 04:01:27 PM
I wonder will Arlene go to the grave
She showed up, fair play to her for that!

Still a hateful cynt though.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Quote from: yellowcard on March 23, 2017, 06:01:20 PM
Fantastic speech by Clinton, you can sense the genuine affinity he has with the Irish people and he said all the right things. He oozes authority and it is easy to see how he was one of the critical figures in trying to broker a deal all those years ago. He also managed to inadvertently massage Enda's ego when the main purpose was getting a dig in at Trump.

Tremendous politician and someone who took no shit from the DUP and co when it mattered, legend.

One of the finest foreign policy Presidents of all time!

seafoid

A lovely ceremony. Clinton gave a great speech. The whole thing reminded me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAh1oRoVS68
YMADAWIAD ARTHUR (The Death Of Arthur)

A gem-like light spread over Camlan
Gliding the sorrow of the battlefield
How beautiful at this moment
Was the cold stare of dead warriors.
Through blood and tight-packed
mounds of men
Bedevere carried Arthur,
Weakening now from the pain of wounds.

Bedevere walked without resting the heavy burden
Flushing his face, tightening his muscles;
There beneath him like a mirror of crystal
He saw a ship on the shining sea.

Chorus:
Be brave and pure
Suffer willingly
I go now to the fair Avalon

Yonder over the sea there is a tender land
Where there is no pain
The isle of Avalon where every soul
is free and content

Never will it be destroyed by faithlessness
Nor shame nor heartbreak.

armaghniac

Quote from: stew on March 23, 2017, 06:45:15 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 23, 2017, 06:01:20 PM

Tremendous politician and someone who took no shit from the DUP and co when it mattered, legend.

One of the finest foreign policy Presidents of all time!

Sure even the dogs in the street recognise Clinton.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gallsman

Is that Alex Salmond at the bottom right?

OgraAnDun

gallsman

Harold Disgracey

In from work and watching Six One on RTE1+1 and they've yet to cover Martin McGuinness's funeral. Disappointing but not surprising.

gallsman

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 23, 2017, 07:30:14 PM
In from work and watching Six One on RTE1+1 and they've yet to cover Martin McGuinness's funeral. Disappointing but not surprising.

Disappointing but in fairness to RTE, they broadcast it live.

stew

Bladder every disrespect  intended but I have blocked your posts because you bore me, apologies if any of your drivel pertained to my posts, if not please ignore this post, cheers mate )

grounded

I think you've manage to miss the entire point of Jude's blog and my post.
     Anyway Who was the buck or buckos that planted the first bombs of the ' troubles ' ? 

[/quote]

Does it matter who planted the first ones? It's not the moderate unionists that he was trying to court either way. McGuiness heading up a peace process was like Timothy McVey leading an IED safety committee.

What's fûcked the north now was the hardline parties on both sides seizing power in the toxic environment that exsisted in the Troubles.
[/quote]

I'm sorry but the North was F#cked right from its sectarian inception, long before McGuinness, Paisley and the rest.
     My point about who planted the first bombs(loyalists btw)   is relevant because according to most of the media outlets  this week the entire conflict was down to militant republicans with Martin Mc Guinness at the helm.
     The Troubles was a far more complex affair than that.

I thought the funeral and in particular Bill Clintons speak was very fitting to the occassion. RIP Martin.

tiempo

Quote from: Syferus on March 23, 2017, 01:26:52 PM
Quote from: grounded on March 22, 2017, 10:46:31 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 22, 2017, 10:27:11 PM
Quote from: grounded on March 22, 2017, 09:46:20 PM
That article from Jude Collins hits the nail on the head. In particular the fact that Trimble and Robinson had to wait until he was dead before they could utter a positive sentiment about the man.
            In a way it sort of sums up the entire Unionist mindset of not an inch and lie down croppie. During the peace process Martin genuinely tried to reach out to the other side of the community. He tried to put himself in their shoes took risks and pushed the boundaries of his own Republicanism in order to show good faith and keep the peace.
            Look at what happened to any Unionist leader who ' did a Lundy ' . Trimble got the boot for the timmerity of attempting to power share. Eventually Paisley got the same treatment for daring to have a friendly relationship with Martin. And last but not least magic Mike got the boot for merely saying he would give his second preference to a party from the other side of the house.
             The very fact that our previous first minister has yet to ' decide if ' she would attend the funeral of her deputy first minister is all part of the same aul backward looking mindset.          Not that i would highly rate his intellect but sadly i'd say Jamie ' flegger' Bryson's views on Nationalism would broadly be in line with the majority of Loyalists and Unionism when he said that ' Sinn Fein are great at trying to reach out to Unionists but they dont really mean it as secretly they still want a United Ireland and that these acts of friendship were just another strategy'. Sadly with a few notable exceptions that is the Unionist mentality. They see it as a sign of weakness, when in fact reaching out to a future Nationalist majority is exactly what they should do. But alas they can't see the elephant in the room.

The buck plannng to blow unionists up a few years earlier would hardly find many friends in the unionist camp no matter how much he tried to reach out. It's not him that should have been in a position of power to begin with in the nationalist movement.

I think you've manage to miss the entire point of Jude's blog and my post.
     Anyway Who was the buck or buckos that planted the first bombs of the ' troubles ' ? 

Does it matter who planted the first ones? It's not the moderate unionists that he was trying to court either way. McGuiness heading up a peace process was like Timothy McVey leading an IED safety committee.

What's fûcked the north now was the hardline parties on both sides seizing power in the toxic environment that exsisted in the Troubles.

Put 900k unionists into Galway, Leitrim, Sligo, Mayo and the shires of Roscommon, let the worst of them run amok to carry out pogrom against the nationalist / catholic people and you'd be in dire need of men with the backbone of Martin McGuinness.

As it happened, the shires were left well out of it giving quislings ample opportunity to turn the other cheek.

Easy to pontificate from the safety of a demilitarised zone.