Leinster Senior Football Championship 2017

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 18, 2016, 01:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

Quote from: Don Draper on May 15, 2017, 03:12:01 PM
Nothing against the personnel, but it says a lot about where we are at if we're going into championship with those 6 "backs" lined up as they are. Whatever about Creedon, there isn't a manager on the planet who could wire a team or a defensive unit/plan around 1, 2 at best, natural backs in a backline.

Whilst I agree

If mcmahon does make it and Begley goes back there it could be a different story you will have
Booth
McMahon
Begley
Attride as all natrual backs

Strong has played enough there in last 8 years at intercounty level to be okay for a Longford and O'Connor is a decent option there because of his speed alone...

Buggie Dillion and Collins are not bad options either.

Love to have  Timmons ,Merdith (can play defensive role as under mcnulty) O'Leary Robbie Kehoe and Healy to pick from there but alas its not to be!
LAOIS ABÚ

Unlaoised

I hope a decent crowd gets up to support the lads...

Yes they have been poor all year but it could all change.

I for one can't wait for it!
LAOIS ABÚ

ILikeStrawberryJam

Surely conway is still involved .. after donie he was our best player in the league

OTF

Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on May 16, 2017, 12:00:33 PM
Surely conway is still involved .. after donie he was our best player in the league

Lillis  ??

redsetanta

I'd have Davy Conway in before Paul Kingston every dayof the week.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

les Antiques

I know Conway is still around and will likely start Sunday . One interesting option that' has been used in recent practice matches and was also evident last night at the training centre was the ploy of getting Finn on the loose ball and launching huge kicks into Donie and OCarroll in the FF line . Keeping those two in there will be crucial and resisting the temptation to bring either out when things don't go to plan elsewhere .

redsetanta

One of O'Carrolls strengths is running at the opposition which he can do much better from the half forward line. He's very important to the team but not sure if pumping balls into himself and Kingston is the answer.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

les Antiques

I agree it's not the answer but it's an option we have if done properly.

les Antiques

Also he adds a bit of strength in the FF line which eases the burden on Kingston .

Giovanni

I hope our defensive plan is a little more sophisticated than the offensive plan appears to be..........

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Giovanni on May 17, 2017, 12:29:27 PM
I hope our defensive plan is a little more sophisticated than the offensive plan appears to be..........

;D

Don't under-rate simplicity.

ILikeStrawberryJam

Is it possible to see the lads training ?

Are the sessions not closed off ?

Clubber Lang

Sometimes the best laid plans are the most obvious ones- I would much rather a game plan of getting the ball quickly into the likes of Kingston and O'Carroll than seeing our midfielders, half backs try carry the ball whole way up field, get dispossessed and leave us totally exposed to the counter-attack. Most teams are set up now to filter players back so it is essential we move ball quickly and provide Donie with as many chances to get on ball-realistically our hopes lie with him and the other forwards chipping in and contributing. A forward line containing Conway, Walsh, Kingston, O'Carroll, Finn, Donagher is as good as any in Leinster (outside of Dublin).  Midfield of O'Loughlin and Quigley should be able to compete with most midfield pairings. Our Achilles heal which is our defense never really functioned in the league-Strong while very good on the ball and going forward has never been solid defensively, We have no established centre back that instills confidence or security. Word has it that Meaney has a good chance of starting in this position. Timmons will be a huge loss to the full-back line and Booth has struggled in fast paced championship games-no doubt Longford will look to exploit us moving with speed down the central channels. I'm optimistic Laois can prevail by 4/5 points-I genuinely think this Laois team is seeking some form of redemption to atone for a horrendous league campaign. It might drive them to perform beyond what we have witnessed the last number of years in the championship.   

Unlaoised

Quote from: Giovanni on May 17, 2017, 12:29:27 PM

Whilst I agree the one thing Finn has is that master weapon of a long kick ...Its amazing the distance and accuracy he can get.

Really benefits his club where he can boom balls into that tall full forward they have.

I know Donie loves the type of quick early ball Finn can produce.

Hearing Longford are confident of beating Laois from an excounty player of theres he reckons Laois are the best draw in Leinster they could have got.....

...Always thought Longford were too big for their boots kinda of think they have this tradition...Which in my life time they don't...

Get these lads bate !!!
LAOIS ABÚ

Don Draper

Quote from: les Antiques on May 17, 2017, 11:27:03 AM
I know Conway is still around and will likely start Sunday . One interesting option that' has been used in recent practice matches and was also evident last night at the training centre was the ploy of getting Finn on the loose ball and launching huge kicks into Donie and OCarroll in the FF line . Keeping those two in there will be crucial and resisting the temptation to bring either out when things don't go to plan elsewhere .
Thats a fine and agricultural game plan, I like it. May I suggest we give Brody hognail boots as well, might get to the half forward line with the kick outs.