Dakota Pipe Line.

Started by Denn Forever, November 01, 2016, 05:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on November 02, 2016, 03:16:21 PM
I don't know what to make of it all. I've seen maps and facts from both sides and I might lean towards the state on this one that they did what they were supposed to?
The natives were shafted and continue to be but we all played a part in that I think - the Irish were just as guilty as any other emigrant of driving them from their land.  Too often we point the finger at everyone else - we were there too.

You'd think the Irish would understand more than most what it is like to be at the bottom and trampled upon.
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Quote from: muppet on November 02, 2016, 03:19:56 PM
I don't know what to make of it all. I've seen maps and facts from both sides and I might lean towards the state on this one that they did what they were supposed to?
The natives were shafted and continue to be but we all played a part in that I think - the Irish were just as guilty as any other emigrant of driving them from their land.  Too often we point the finger at everyone else - we were there too.

You'd think the Irish would understand more than most what it is like to be at the bottom and trampled upon.
I just think we distance ourselves all too easily from any blame.  We have a real notion of ourselves as a nation because we are welcomed all over the world. But when we are established in those places I don't think we're as welcoming to others..
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

seafoid

That was not the Irish experience in the US. You would think Jews would be nice to minorities in a Jewish state as well. f**k you is more like it. Same for any persecuted group that gets a bit of daylight.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

dferg

Quote from: seafoid on November 02, 2016, 04:04:08 PM

That was not the Irish experience in the US. You would think Jews would be nice to minorities in a Jewish state as well. f**k you is more like it. Same for any persecuted group that gets a bit of daylight.

Totally agree.  Oliver Letwins parents fled the Nazis yet he was one of the MPs who voted against letting child refugees into Britain.

There was someone on the bbc news the other day, I can't remember his name but it was something like Sean O'Shaughnassey, I meant to wiki him to see if his great Grandad crossed the Irish sea in a raft with his last potato.  He basically said why don't they **** off back to where they came from.

muppet

Quote from: dferg on November 02, 2016, 04:16:06 PM

Totally agree.  Oliver Letwins parents fled the Nazis yet he was one of the MPs who voted against letting child refugees into Britain.

There was someone on the bbc news the other day, I can't remember his name but it was something like Sean O'Shaughnassey, I meant to wiki him to see if his great Grandad crossed the Irish sea in a raft with his last potato.  He basically said why don't they **** off back to where they came from.

Populism is easy but unworkable answers, disguised as policies.

A populist entering power is usually like a ponzi scheme approaching its day of reckoning. The alternative is that the populist just becomes part of the system he promised to fix.

Even Nigel Farage understood this and ran away as soon as he realised people would look at him for leadership.

I thought Trump understood this as well, but I am not so sure now.
MWWSI 2017

J70

Trump did offer John Kasich full control over domestic AND foreign policy when pitching the VP slot to him.

I doubt if Trump is motivated by much more than attaining the position. Maybe to fill his ego or stick it to Obama for humiliating him. How hands on he will be will be revealed if he wins.

Most of the populist rhetoric is probably just him seizing on a platform to win the bitter white working class support. Luckily for him, he picked the right year with a horrible Democratic candidate as well.

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on November 02, 2016, 04:38:54 PM
Quote from: dferg on November 02, 2016, 04:16:06 PM

Populism is easy but unworkable answers, disguised as policies.

A populist entering power is usually like a ponzi scheme approaching its day of reckoning. The alternative is that the populist just becomes part of the system he promised to fix.

Even Nigel Farage understood this and ran away as soon as he realised people would look at him for leadership.

I thought Trump understood this as well, but I am not so sure now.
Especially with social media feedback. The Leave crowd expected a 45% vote. They were shocked to get 52%. As soon as the news was out they stopped the bluster. Johnson had no more jokes. Farage was straight out of the traps denying he ever promised 350m for the NHS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz2tvnVM6oA
See you next Tuesday

It was like laughing with the lads about messing around with women and then having one come up to you saying she was pregnant. Not very funny at all.
Now the estimate for losing Euro clearing is 77bn which is 4x 350m a week
Senior hurling

And there is no way to put the genie back in the bottle
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

MWWSI 2017

ardchieftain

Quote from: muppet on November 02, 2016, 06:10:47 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on November 02, 2016, 05:54:13 PM
The Irish should have been nicer to the indiiians.

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/irish-town-builds-memorial-to-thank-native-americans-who-helped-during-famine

Thanks for posting that. Every Irish person should know that story.

People should also read Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee. It's an uncomfortable read and puts the Standing Rock protests in perspective. I remember being sickened at the antics of those with obvious Irish roots, sickened and ashamed.

It seems to me that the Native americans have drawn a line in the sand. It appears that new government policy is to get all the native land by any means possible in the near future. Well, all exploitable land anyway.

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on November 02, 2016, 04:46:33 PM
Luckily for him, he picked the right year with a horrible Democratic candidate as well.

As opposed to the fella for the last 8 years?

So what's the bold kenyan doing on the job? Learning how to dance to "Thriller".

Worst president ever.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

foxcommander

I've said it before, the free-state irish are full of "me firsts". Sure didn't they forget the 6 counties easy enough

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on November 02, 2016, 10:55:09 PM

I've said it before, the free-state irish are full of "me firsts". Sure didn't they forget the 6 counties easy enough

Close enough I suppose:

MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Bury my heart at Wounded Knee was some  book and record of what hate filled racism and super race mentality did.
One of the worst things for me was them giving blankets infected with small pox to one small tribe knowing they had no defence against it ( or measles either) as such diseases didn't exist in America before the Europeans arrived.
And the Yanks had the cheek to put the Nazis on trial in Nürnberg!!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tyssam5

Case is ongoing.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/09/dapl-dakota-sitting-rock-sioux/499178/