Connacht minor championship

Started by sligoman2, June 22, 2016, 07:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Four teams named.

Galway: 1. O Burke (Corafinne) 2. E McFadden (Bóthar na Trá/Cnoc na Cathrach) 3. S Mulkerrin (C) (Oileán Arainn) 4. G Burke (Corafinne) 5. J Glynn (Baile Clár na Gaillimhe) 6. C Potter (Anach Cuain) 7. L Boyle (Cill Chloirín/Cluain Bheirne) 8. M Barrett (Leitir Mór) 9. S Fitzgerald (Bearna) 10. B Harlowe (Naomh Micheál) 11. D Silke (Corafinne) 12. M Kerrigan (An Fhairche) 13. R Cunningham (Naomh Brendán) 14. E Murphy (Bóthar na Trá/Cnoc na Cathrach) 15. P Costello (Dún Mór Mic Éil)

Roscommon: 1, A Brady (Elphin) 2. P Halpin (St Barry's) 3. E Flynn (Tulsk) 4. G Galvin (Tulsk) 5. P McManus (Clan na nGael) 6. C Kennelly (St Faithleachs) 7. D Gately (St Brigid's) 8. C Corcoran (Strokestown) 9. D Ruane (Michael Glavey's) 10. O Lennon (Clan na nGael) 11. C Heneghan (Michael Glavey's) 12. S Henry (Clan na nGael) 13. R Dowd (St Ciaran's) 14. B Derwin (St Brigid's) 15. C Fahey (C) (Tulsk)

Sligo: 1. A Davey (Eastern Harps) 2. E Lyons (Shamrock Gaels) 3. J Ellis (Enniscrone/Kilglass) 4. J Weir (St Farnan's) 5. B Cox (Calry/St Joseph's) 6. E Lavin (Eastern Harps) 7. O Conlon (Ballymote) 8. N Colsh (Ballymote) 9. B Gorman (C) (Coolaney/Mullinabreena) 10. R Anderson (Owenmore Gaels) 11. L Towey (St Molaise Gaels) 12. C O'Dowd (Enniscrone/Kilglass) 13. C Ryan (Tubbercurry) 14. R Óg Murphy (Curry) 15. K McKenna (Shamrock Gaels)

Leitrim: 1. E Gallagher (Gaeil na Meilge) 2. C Dwyer (Naomh Caillin-Fíonach) 3. S Harkin (Maothail) 4. E Harkin (Maothail) 5. C Cullen (Achadh na Sileann) 6. S Chandler (Gaeil Liatroma) 7. M Diffley (Naomh Muire- Cill Tochairt) 8. A Hoare (Achadh na Sileann) 9. R Sheridan (Gleann na Chairthe/Cluainín) 10. O McLoughlin (Naomh Caillin-Fíonach) 11. J Clancy (C) (Naomh Pádraig Droim Dá Eithear) 12. R O'Rourke (Naomh Caillin-Fíonach) 13. D Devanney (Gleann an Chairthe/Cluainín) 14. C Duffy (Gaeil na Hailne) 15. J Reynolds (Maothail)
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

sligoman2

Very interesting sligo selection.  Great to see players from enniscrone, ballymote and shamrock gaels.  Very surprised that there's no player from Mary's or Tourlestrane or Johns and only one each from tubber and Curry.
Most of these players would be outside the Attractas and Summerhill. Catchment area, which is surprising and hopefully a good sign.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Mano

Two Tourlestrane lads didn't commit this year due to Leaving Cert and the distance to Scarden. One lad would have been a key starter having played last year.

What has happened Marys at underage. They were dominant up until a year or 2 ago and now playing in B level and don't have a player on minor panel?

Cunny Funt

Half times both low scoring games.

Galway 0-5 Roscommon 1-2
Sligo 0-5 Leitrim 1-4

Cunny Funt

The two favourites won.

Galway 1-13 Roscommon 1-6
Sligo 3-12 Leitrim 3-7

Syferus

Galway will slaughter a Sligo side that leaks three goals to Leitrim.

Owenmoresider

You worry about your own impending slaughter that day and don't mind us, as you tend to boast you do.

Syferus

Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 28, 2017, 09:17:09 PM
You worry about your own impending slaughter that day and don't mind us, as you tend to boast you do.

Jaysis someone is a bit grouchy. If you think conceding a hat trick to Leitrim at home is good prep for one of the best sides in the country in their personal wind dome I don't know what to say. Shooting the messenger as usual for you.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Syferus on June 28, 2017, 09:28:01 PM

Jaysis someone is a bit grouchy. If you think conceding a hat trick to Leitrim at home is good prep for one of the best sides in the country in their personal wind dome I don't know what to say. Shooting the messenger as usual for you.
Leitrim also scored a hat trick of goals against Roscommon minors this year. The Rossies didn't get slaughtered by Galway and probably deserved better than 7 point defeat tonight.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 28, 2017, 09:52:17 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 28, 2017, 09:28:01 PM

Leitrim also scored a hat trick of goals against Roscommon minors this year. The Rossies didn't get slaughtered by Galway and probably deserved better than 7 point defeat tonight.

Not that it needs to be said, but the difference between league and championship is oceanic.

GalwayBayBoy

Was actually a poor enough performance from Galway I thought albeit the pitch was like a skating rink from the rain today with players slipping and sliding all over the place like new born foals. Although little wind for a change. Roscommon led by a point with about 8 minutes normal time to play but Galway suddenly found their shooting boots and hit 1-5 without reply down the home stretch. Daniel Kenny was badly missed in midfield for Galway not that they did badly in that area but he's their best midfielder getting forward. I'm sure they hope he's back for the final.

Two best Galway players I thought were Burke and Boyle on the left side of the defence. Both had stormers. Not really a night for forwards although both goals had a lot to do with defenders slipping. And the missed penalty too.

Evan Murphy had 14 on his back but pretty much spent the entire game in midfield. I get the idea of getting your best player on the ball as often as possible but I thought the Galway attack seemed unfocused for long spells with him playing so deep. Thought they could have used him a bit further forward.

A repeat of that in the final and Sligo have a great chance to be honest.

Rossfan

A brave effort by our unfancied and unsung minors tonight.
Certainly made Galway's threatened world domination look fairly shaky tonight for 50 minutes.
Lack of enough forward  edge, tiredness and concentration lapses gave Galway a most undeserved 7 point win.
And the Galway goalie saved a penalty very well.
Good to see a Ros team with some shape make and form about them - marking lads, defending tackling etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sligoman2

Quote from: Syferus on June 28, 2017, 09:00:59 PM
Galway will slaughter a Sligo side that leaks three goals to Leitrim.
I think this means we will win.

Thanks Sy
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Blowitupref

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 28, 2017, 10:00:04 PM
Was actually a poor enough performance from Galway I thought albeit the pitch was like a skating rink from the rain today with players slipping and sliding all over the place like new born foals. Although little wind for a change. Roscommon led by a point with about 8 minutes normal time to play but Galway suddenly found their shooting boots and hit 1-5 without reply down the home stretch. Daniel Kenny was badly missed in midfield for Galway not that they did badly in that area but he's their best midfielder getting forward. I'm sure they hope he's back for the final.

Two best Galway players I thought were Burke and Boyle on the left side of the defence. Both had stormers. Not really a night for forwards although both goals had a lot to do with defenders slipping. And the missed penalty too.

Evan Murphy had 14 on his back but pretty much spent the entire game in midfield. I get the idea of getting your best player on the ball as often as possible but I thought the Galway attack seemed unfocused for long spells with him playing so deep. Thought they could have used him a bit further forward.

A repeat of that in the final and Sligo have a great chance to be honest.

If i am not mistaken Murphy played a large portion of the quarter final against Mayo in the midfield area while Daniel Kenny played as a forward. Only 0-3 from play from the Galway starting 6 forwards tonight while the starting 6 forwards for Roscommon fared a little better with 1-4 like you said not a night for forwards but credit to both defences they were well organized.

As for the other semi final. A goalfest and this Leitrim group are well known for scoring goals especially Oisin McLoughlin. Sligo should not be underestimated they are making a habit of reaching provincial underage finals now and nearly always give a good account of themselves once there as this years U21 final proved.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

cornetto

A big crowd from roscommon at the match tonight,in fairness roscommon done all the hard work in the first half,still tried to defend in numbers in second half and hit galway on the break,with the wind they could have commited more to the attack.Galway looked a very ordinary team and a connacht title would probably be their limit ,with minors you never know!!