Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: skeog on May 26, 2016, 04:58:43 PM
What has a mans religion to do with sport.
in reality sport is rotten with politics
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

I bought a French guide to the Euros and it says Michael O'Neill's nationality in Northern Irish.
Does such a nationality exist?

I presume anyone called Billy or Josh would kick with the other foot.

heganboy

Quote from: stew on May 26, 2016, 04:20:57 PM
Have you been to a game in the last ten years? I have!

I don't give a shite who you support, I am supporting them because the supporters clubs have been working very hard to rid themselves of the loyalist scum that pervaded their support base, I also want to support the nationalist players that stand there and take the Brit national anthem prior to playing, that is to be admired in my opinion.

Stew- I stand with you man
(you probably don't want me to - I know)

See the lyrics from RATM killing in the name of - for the thought police. Stew can support who he wants, and you may disagree with his views (as I do regularly on political and economic issues) but have a discussion, disagree, point out what you think, counter claim, agree to disagree, he may be right, you may be right on factual matters but who you support is completely up to you, like who you fall in love with and what turns you on. Leave it the hell alone, I'm pretty sure we all know the background to the historical situation on the island, and the diverse opinions on that subject but who the team you support- get out.

f**k you I won't do what you tell me.

in his own words
QuoteI was referring to myself and not once did I reference your choice or any other persons choice.

its complicated enough growing up in Armagh without being told what to think. Huge efforts on behalf of the IFA and a big well done to Oonagh O'Reilly on her efforts - times they are a changing as yet another smart person once sang

quick read here if you fancy edu-mc-cating yourselves.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/northern-ireland-football-bridges-divide-after-dark-days-of-troubles-1.2604045

p.s. I am spectacularly aware of my own hypocrisy - I actually embrace it at this point
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on May 26, 2016, 05:54:21 PM
I bought a French guide to the Euros and it says Michael O'Neill's nationality in Northern Irish.
Does such a nationality exist?

I presume anyone called Billy or Josh would kick with the other foot.

Not necessarily with modern pissy names. Normal Irish first names are being replaced by pansy boys names.

thewobbler

I remember me and my classmates undertaking a similar exercise to this in 1986. We decided Alan McDonald had to be Catholic based on his surname.

But we were only 10 years old at the time.

Why it matters to grown adults? That's the real pickler.

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on May 26, 2016, 06:04:14 PM
I remember me and my classmates undertaking a similar exercise to this in 1986. We decided Alan McDonald had to be Catholic based on his surname.

But we were only 10 years old at the time.

Why it matters to grown adults? That's the real pickler.

It is perhaps more worrying that it mattered to 10 year olds.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

naka

Quote from: BennyCake on May 26, 2016, 11:18:25 AM
Was wondering how these billboards of the players will go down in their home town/village. In particular, Niall McGinn's in Donaghmore.

...and Chris Baird, wherever he's from again.
Loving Kyle lafferty billboard in newry

For what's it worth hope both Ireland's do well
As long as the gaa is on tv the euros won't annoy me

OgraAnDun

Quote from: stew on May 26, 2016, 12:35:14 PM
Who gives a f**k!

I am going to support the north during these championships!

I never lived in the south and have far more in common with the northern prods than I ever did the southern Catholics.

I hope both do well but you can shove both national anthems up your arise, I have no use for anything that divides us as a people.

Up Armagh ya b**tards.

If you have no time for 'anything which divides us as a people', surely you should support neither team as they both are supporting a system which divides the people of this country into a northeastern segment and a 'rest of the country' segment?

T Fearon

Why is Lafferty in Newry when he comes from Kesh in Fermanagh.

Also name two Newry men to score in World Cup Finals tournaments.

dec

Quote from: T Fearon on May 26, 2016, 06:57:36 PM

Peter McParland and Colin Clarke.

red hander

Quote from: stew on May 26, 2016, 05:35:37 PM
Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on May 26, 2016, 04:35:06 PM
Quote from: stew on May 26, 2016, 04:20:57 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on May 26, 2016, 02:37:59 PM
Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on May 26, 2016, 02:07:05 PM
Who gives a f**k!

I never lived in the south and have far more in common with the northern prods than I ever did the southern Catholics.

I hope both do well but you can shove both national anthems up your arise, I have no use for anything that divides us as a people.

Up Armagh ya b**tards.

Good on you Stew, we should all be more like you. Us other northerners who support the Republic team obviously haven't taken the time (or don't have the intellect) to weigh up those factors.

Seeing as you've more in common with the northern Prods than the southern Catholics, it would be a good idea to go watch the NI matches in some shaddy pub in Craigavon; I'm sure they'll be happy to put on the Armagh afterwards. Up Armagh and all that.

I'll f**k be supporting that shower... just because theyve managed to get to a major tournament doesnt mean thy've stopped hating me because of the religion i was born into. Oh aye but sure theyve changed and arent like that anymore  ::)

Have you been to a game in the last ten years? I have!

I don't give a shite who you support, I am supporting them because the supporters clubs have been working very hard to rid themselves of the loyalist scum that pervaded their support base, I also want to support the nationalist players that stand there and take the Brit national anthem prior to playing, that is to be admired in my opinion.

Why would the 'Nationalist' players need to be singled out as needing your support during the anthem? They're not nationalist if they play for NI.
Good man, you should sing GSTQ with pride.
[/quote

They don't, it is just one reason why I support them, another reason is the fact republicans sold their souls when lizxy came a knocking the republics supporters fawned all over her, so duck the republic, I am sure Connolly and Sands it al were turning  over in their graves!

Jaysus, there's nothing like generalising. Not all people in South are West Brits. There seems to be this agenda suggesting the pub team is uniting people up here ... BALLS. But as Goebbels (and Mike Nesbitt) said, repeat a lie enough times and people will think it's the truth.

michaelg

McParland and Colin Clarke.

seafoid

Quote from: dec on May 26, 2016, 07:35:35 PM

Peter McParland and Colin Clarke.
McParland and Poland must be 2 translations of the same name

michaelg

Quote from: lurganblue on May 26, 2016, 02:37:59 PM
Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on May 26, 2016, 02:07:05 PM
Who gives a f**k!

Up Armagh ya b**tards.

Good on you Stew, we should all be more like you. Us other northerners who support the Republic team obviously haven't taken the time (or don't have the intellect) to weigh up those factors.

Seeing as you've more in common with the northern Prods than the southern Catholics, it would be a good idea to go watch the NI matches in some shaddy pub in Craigavon; I'm sure they'll be happy to put on the Armagh afterwards. Up Armagh and all that.

I'll f**k be supporting that shower... just because theyve managed to get to a major tournament doesnt mean thy've stopped hating me because of the religion i was born into. Oh aye but sure theyve changed and arent like that anymore  ::)
Yes, that's right, all Protestant Northern Ireland fans hate Catholics.  Do you actually believe that?