2016 Summer Olympics Rio

Started by DrinkingHarp, May 24, 2016, 06:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

If there is such a thing as a good fail, then I suppose cannabis or cocaine is it. Stupid eejit.

I'm going to be very sexist now. I don't like women's boxing, or women commentating on boxing.

Shamrock Shore

The lad on RTE doing the basketball commentary is from the Willie Hegarty school of commentators!

AZOffaly

He's very excitable. I heard his co-commentator yesterday saying the Golden State Warrior s were called the Dubs because the play near Dublin, California. I don't think he was joking.

trileacman

I hate the Olympics, it's just a vehicle for f**ker who know nothing about sport like politicians and middle class gobshites to shite on about sport as if they know something. Look at the attendances. If ya wouldn't go to watch some of that shite when it's on your doorstep why would you tune in to watch it.

There's no sporting event on the planet I hate more than the Olympics. Even without the level of drugs involved. Take all the drugs out of the Olympics and it would still be mindless dross. The drugs just make the mindless dross end .5 of a second quicker so I'm all for athletes shooting up.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

imtommygunn

Kimmage wrote a piece today i think saying pretty much the same as you muppet.

I still enjoy it and- really looking forward to athletics and some boxing. I am glad in a strange kind of way it was a class a drug and not a performance enhancing one.

The russian thing is a farce. You're from russia, we have nothing on you but you're not going.justin gatlin- ah go ahead. Really think it's the like of coe point scoring doing this stuff. Don't get me wrong the doping sucks but if they're not caught then the testing isn't up to it and they improve that. What is a clean russian athlete to do - and there are bound to be some.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

SHEEDY

Quote from: trileacman on August 07, 2016, 09:35:31 PM
I hate the Olympics, it's just a vehicle for f**ker who know nothing about sport like politicians and middle class gobshites to shite on about sport as if they know something. Look at the attendances. If ya wouldn't go to watch some of that shite when it's on your doorstep why would you tune in to watch it.

There's no sporting event on the planet I hate more than the Olympics. Even without the level of drugs involved. Take all the drugs out of the Olympics and it would still be mindless dross. The drugs just make the mindless dross end .5 of a second quicker so I'm all for athletes shooting up.
so what are you trying to say, do you like the Olympics or not??  :)
nil satis nisi optimum

bennydorano

Quote from: muppet on August 07, 2016, 09:00:15 PM
I was looking forward as always to the Olympics, but in the last few days I discovered I am not really interested at all.

Hard to pin-point why exactly. But a few relatively small things have pissed me off.

*Irish boxer fails doping test - I was particularly looking forward to seeing how the boxers go to on. Not so much now.
* British cycling heroine give a Lance Armstrong statement - defended by British cycling (I had a look at the success of British cycling over the decades and was going to post an analysis, but don't want to get sued - lets just say in the druggiest of sports their success since the year 2000 is 'unnatural'.)
* Russians
* Kenyans
* IOC
* IOC sponsors
* Did I mention drugs?

I'll still probably watch some of the athletics, but at this stage that may be the biggest joke of the lot.
I've read it numerous times that there's a direct correlation between the success of British Cycling and the introduction of National Lottery funding.

Boycey

I'd be the opposite to Muppet, for the 1st time ever I wasn't particularly interested in the build up to the games. I thought I wasn't interested anymore probably for all the reasons he's saying but now that it's started I love it, I'd watch any auld shite in it. I do prefer the individual events to the team sports however..

muppet

Quote from: bennydorano on August 07, 2016, 10:38:55 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 07, 2016, 09:00:15 PM
I was looking forward as always to the Olympics, but in the last few days I discovered I am not really interested at all.

Hard to pin-point why exactly. But a few relatively small things have pissed me off.

*Irish boxer fails doping test - I was particularly looking forward to seeing how the boxers go to on. Not so much now.
* British cycling heroine give a Lance Armstrong statement - defended by British cycling (I had a look at the success of British cycling over the decades and was going to post an analysis, but don't want to get sued - lets just say in the druggiest of sports their success since the year 2000 is 'unnatural'.)
* Russians
* Kenyans
* IOC
* IOC sponsors
* Did I mention drugs?

I'll still probably watch some of the athletics, but at this stage that may be the biggest joke of the lot.
I've read it numerous times that there's a direct correlation between the success of British Cycling and the introduction of National Lottery funding.

Do other countries, ones with decades of tradition in cycling, not also get funding? And how does funding turn a country from somewhere behind Ireland in a sport, to complete world domination?
MWWSI 2017

bennydorano

No idea but I'd  love to read your analysis of British Cycling - the one that you'd get sued for, especially if you dont consider funding that big a factor.

muppet

Quote from: bennydorano on August 07, 2016, 11:22:35 PM
No idea but I'd  love to read your analysis of British Cycling - the one that you'd get sued for, especially if you dont consider funding that big a factor.

I said I had a look at their success.

Look at Olympics and TDF performances over the decades.

The from 2000  Olympics sees a major spike. Then Sky enter in 2008 and TDF performances go through the roof.

I never said funding wasn't a factor. Lance Armstrong was the most tested, best funded cyclist going.
MWWSI 2017

bennydorano

You should read an article or two on how targetted Lottery funding (beginning c1997) improved British cycling.

muppet

Quote from: bennydorano on August 07, 2016, 11:58:09 PM
You should read an article or two on how targetted Lottery funding (beginning c1997) improved British cycling.

I don't read fiction.

Armstrong and Hamilton among many other since tainted riders were competing in some of those Olympics. And yet the medals flowed. Were they eating the money?
MWWSI 2017

DuffleKing

British cycling funding Armitstead's legal action to have her first test miss overturned is either ill advised from a "looking in" perspective or it is a poor indicator of the tolerance of those who mess with the doping rules