The Whiskey Thread

Started by gallsman, December 08, 2014, 03:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on December 26, 2014, 12:35:31 AM
On the menu today were:

Hakushu 12 - absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to try some of the other Japanese ones.

Redbreast 12 - delicious as always

Redbreast 15 - meh, don't think it justifies price difference over the 12

Powers John's Lane - nice but simply prefer green spot

High West - not a big bourbon drinker and this was alright. Nothing special.
You've been busy. Would recommend Yamazaki.

gallsman

Just a few wee snifters of most of them, only really drank away at the Powers. Have been planning on giving the Yamazaki a go for a while. Bought the Hakushu (also made by Suntory) for the da so hoping to get a proper go at it before I head home!

gallsman

O'Brien's have a bit of a spirit sale on at the minute with a good number of whiskeys reduced. Yellow Spot going for €65 if anyone wants to try it

Puckoon

Has anyone tried the 1608 Bushmills 400 year anniversary blend? My father brought me a bottle and we opened it - very enjoyable. Couldn't find much literature on what was different about it, but we tested a few n numbers of it side by side by the regular Bush and it was certainly different. Nice anniversary package too.

Hardy

Quote from: weareros on December 12, 2014, 01:22:05 AM
Got a bottle of Laphroaig the other night on the advice of an expert Scotch drinker. Jaysus awful stuff. I had to ask myself how on earth do people pay a premium for this. I looked it up on the internet and even the distillery itself was proudly proclaiming that it tasted like a burning hospital. Actually if you took all the balls of cotton from your mouth after the dentist pulled half your teeth out and distilled it with poison tap water from Roscommon, that's what Laphroaig tastes like. Nearly put me off the drink for life. I don't care what anyone says but Irish whiskey is the nicest in the world. It's only flaw is that it's too nice.

Missed this post first time around, which is great, because otherwise I wouldn't have had the pleasure of reading it for the first time now. I can only say I wish I had said that. Especially the last sentence.

macdanger2

Quote from: gallsman on March 19, 2015, 05:41:29 PM
O'Brien's have a bit of a spirit sale on at the minute with a good number of whiskeys reduced. Yellow Spot going for €65 if anyone wants to try it

How much would yellow spot normally be??

gallsman

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 20, 2015, 09:12:13 AM

How much would yellow spot normally be??

75-85.

macdanger2

rrhf

Quote from: Hardy on March 20, 2015, 01:07:51 AM
Quote from: weareros on December 12, 2014, 01:22:05 AM
Got a bottle of Laphroaig the other night on the advice of an expert Scotch drinker. Jaysus awful stuff. I had to ask myself how on earth do people pay a premium for this. I looked it up on the internet and even the distillery itself was proudly proclaiming that it tasted like a burning hospital. Actually if you took all the balls of cotton from your mouth after the dentist pulled half your teeth out and distilled it with poison tap water from Roscommon, that's what Laphroaig tastes like. Nearly put me off the drink for life. I don't care what anyone says but Irish whiskey is the nicest in the world. It's only flaw is that it's too nice.

Missed this post first time around, which is great, because otherwise I wouldn't have had the pleasure of reading it for the first time now. I can only say I wish I had said that. Especially the last sentence.
can I agree with these folk. A John Jameson works for me.

HiMucker

Had a glass of Green spot the other night when out.  Lovely stuff.  I think I recall you early on this thread saying that yellow spot isn't worth the price difference between the two?? But for 65 yoyos is it worth getting instead.  Cheers

gallsman

Quote from: HiMucker on March 20, 2015, 05:15:47 PM
Had a glass of Green spot the other night when out.  Lovely stuff.  I think I recall you early on this thread saying that yellow spot isn't worth the price difference between the two?? But for 65 yoyos is it worth getting instead.  Cheers

It's worth trying at least once, especially at that price. It's 46% so there's much more of a kick off it too.

However, for a more regular drink, I think Green Spot is much better value for money.

gallsman

Johnnie Walker black going for €26 in Tesco in the south. Good bargain.

macdanger2

Can anyone recommend a nice peaty whiskey?? I've tried Connemara but was wondering if there are any other options around?

Irish if possible but if not, what would you recommend from other countries?

Franko

Not sure of any Irish whiskies that would fall into that bracket but some scotches are extremely peaty.  Try some of the more expensive stuff from the Laphroaig distillery.

macdanger2