Ireland's grimmest place

Started by armaghniac, October 09, 2013, 11:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

I'd describe the majority of NI's towns and villages as quite grim. You've got those places like Newbuildings and Dervock, in which it seems the locals are so so inbred they would happily build a 20 foot concrete wall around. Then there's the likes of Middletown, Rathfriland and Comber, which look like places time has forgot; made worse by it being an especially grey and drab period of time when they were forgotten.

Newry, Portadown, Derry, Lurgan, Omagh, Cookstown, Lisburn, Belfast. All grotty and suffer a general lack of vision, consistency and investment.

Canalman

Anywhere non coastal in Ireland on a longdrawn out wet day in November is grim imo. While not grim I always got the heebee jeebies for some reason driving through Mountrath in Laois  ( I think). Never seemed to be a sinner in the place.

By far the grimmest place I was ever in is Holyhead. Newark downtown in wintertime very grim as well.

Hereiam

Larne has to be the worst place I was ever in. Shit hole of the highest order.

OakleafCounty

Quote from: thewobbler on October 10, 2013, 01:03:59 PM
I'd describe the majority of NI's towns and villages as quite grim. You've got those places like Newbuildings and Dervock, in which it seems the locals are so so inbred they would happily build a 20 foot concrete wall around. Then there's the likes of Middletown, Rathfriland and Comber, which look like places time has forgot; made worse by it being an especially grey and drab period of time when they were forgotten.

Newry, Portadown, Derry, Lurgan, Omagh, Cookstown, Lisburn, Belfast. All grotty and suffer a general lack of vision, consistency and investment.

Omagh and Cookstown are perfectly fine.

Franko

Some areas of Coleraine would bring a tear to a glass eye.

nrico2006

I suppose villages are a different kettle of fish, but the like of Middletown, Derrynoose, Newbuildings, Donemana, Garvagh, Fintona, Newtonstewart, Augher, Plumbridge, Coalisland would depress the life out of you if you lived there.  Its unbelievable how much nicer villages and towns down south appear, places such as Sligo, Monaghan or Castleblayney all have a bit of character to them whereas every town up north are more or less designed in that same old ugly plantation format.  Lurgan and Cookstown are two examples of this, with their big long wide main street.  Portrush has to be one of the ugliest towns about. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Bingo

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 10, 2013, 01:47:40 PM

I suppose villages are a different kettle of fish, but the like of Middletown, Derrynoose, Newbuildings, Donemana, Garvagh, Fintona, Newtonstewart, Augher, Plumbridge, Coalisland would depress the life out of you if you lived there.  Its unbelievable how much nicer villages and towns down south appear, places such as Sligo, Monaghan or Castleblayney all have a bit of character to them whereas every town up north are more or less designed in that same old ugly plantation format.  Lurgan and Cookstown are two examples of this, with their big long wide main street.  Portrush has to be one of the ugliest towns about.

Some spot alright  ;D

I'd class the city centre of Dublin as one of the Grimmest places going. Nothing memorable or interesting about it compared to other European capitals.

muppet

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 10, 2013, 01:47:40 PM

I think this is a relatively recent development. I grew up in Castlebar and for my teens I thought it was a hole. Now don't get me wrong, I would still argue with anyone who said their hole was better, but I still thought of it that way. The lake was a great place to go as kids but it was our secret, hidden away from the rest of the world. In the 1990s they really did a good job doing the town up and in the last 10 years the place is completely unrecognisable from the hole of my youth. They built great playgrounds for kids at the lake, completely opened it all up for everyone and created a lovely walk, run or cycle around part of the lake. I believe they are looking into connecting it to Westport and the Greenway. That would be a fantastic resource.

But if you said they have done a good job with a lot of towns/village in the south I would have to agree.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Athy is up there as the grimmest places in Ireland. Horrible place.
Carlow town also is fairly grim. Portlaoise isn't great either.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on October 10, 2013, 01:53:22 PM
I'd class the city centre of Dublin as one of the Grimmest places going. Nothing memorable or interesting about it compared to other European capitals.
Agreed. Saw a bird eating garlic cheese chips with her hands on Harcourt street at 5am last Sunday morning. Grim isn't the word....

muppet

Quote from: ballinaman on October 10, 2013, 01:59:15 PM
Agreed. Saw a bird eating garlic cheese chips with her hands on Harcourt street at 5am last Sunday morning. Grim isn't the word....

Yea but she was from Boyle.
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

She turn you down?

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on October 10, 2013, 02:02:38 PM

She turn you down?
Mutual agreement if I can recall correctly, I was going to leave it slide if it was just curry chips...but garlic cheese chips...c'mon like..

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on October 10, 2013, 02:07:43 PM

She turn you down?
Mutual agreement if I can recall correctly, I was going to leave it slide if it was just curry chips...but garlic cheese chips...c'mon like..

I'd guess she wasn't the type to share her food either.

Worst I seen one night years ago was a drunken culchie type eat a snack box, left the savaged snack box sitting and a bird came along and start eating what was left of the chicken. Took me years to eat a snack box after that.

muppet

Quote from: Bingo on October 10, 2013, 02:11:51 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 10, 2013, 02:07:43 PM

She turn you down?

I'd guess she wasn't the type to share her food either.

Worst I seen one night years ago was a drunken culchie type eat a snack box, left the savaged snack box sitting and a bird came along and start eating what was left of the chicken. Took me years to eat a snack box after that.

You ruled out the snack box but I notice you didn't rule out the 'drunken culchie type'.  ;)
MWWSI 2017