Ireland's grimmest place

Started by armaghniac, October 09, 2013, 11:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Can many go more than a few yards from your own door and not think this place is a dirty hole? The amount of litter lying round the countryside is shameful.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

J OGorman

Quote from: OakleafCounty on October 10, 2013, 09:52:47 AM
Quote from: J OGorman on October 10, 2013, 09:43:21 AM
absolute dung. As city working class areas go, Shantallow is far far removed from a sea of misery. a few areas of the city on both sides of the river are definitely lacking in the funding front, but not the one you had a 'guess' at

A guess? I'm not just talking about Shantallow estate. The whole area from Pennyburn roundabout to Skeoge is generally known as the greater Shantallow area. And grim doesn't necessarily mean poverty stricken. It's just a sea of endless housing estates and little else. I wouldn't live there for free. Nothing against the people so don't take it so personally, it's a product of bad planning.

decent enough housing, generally clean, playparks, indoor sports venues, 3 g floodlit pitches, 2 x shopping areas, 1 which has just been completely remodelled. Steelstown, ballyarnett, parts of the culmore road, racecourse and the skeoge area. affordable terraced housing as all cities have. To call it a sea of misery is bulldung and lazy...you pulled 'Shantallow' from your head and winged it in a sentence

Wee Roddy

I agree regarding Strabane. It is well developed with very good shops, schools and facilities. It is usually very tidy. I have heard about the Ballycolman estate but I have had to go through it on numerous occasions on route to the Sigersons GAA facilities (which are also impressive) and I saw nothing wrong with it.

J OGorman

Quote from: J OGorman on October 10, 2013, 10:03:54 AM
Quote from: OakleafCounty on October 10, 2013, 09:52:47 AM
Quote from: J OGorman on October 10, 2013, 09:43:21 AM
absolute dung. As city working class areas go, Shantallow is far far removed from a sea of misery. a few areas of the city on both sides of the river are definitely lacking in the funding front, but not the one you had a 'guess' at

A guess? I'm not just talking about Shantallow estate. The whole area from Pennyburn roundabout to Skeoge is generally known as the greater Shantallow area. And grim doesn't necessarily mean poverty stricken. It's just a sea of endless housing estates and little else. I wouldn't live there for free. Nothing against the people so don't take it so personally, it's a product of bad planning.

decent enough housing, generally clean, playparks, indoor sports venues, 3 g floodlit pitches, 2 x shopping areas, 1 which has just been completely remodelled. Steelstown, ballyarnett, parts of the culmore road, racecourse and the skeoge area. affordable terraced housing as all cities have. To call it a sea of misery is bulldung and lazy...you pulled 'Shantallow' from your head and winged it in a sentence

oh, and I'd say there isnt another school in the land with better facilities for kids with physical and learning difficulties than Belmont inc the whole playtrail area withits parks and ampitheatre

J OGorman

OakleafCounty

J OGorman

Wind your neck in. To bring a school with for children with special needs into the debate is really scraping the bottom of the barrel! The two shopping areas are entirely tailored for people with cars and the sport complex is falling apart. I don't like the layout of the area and as a planner I think the way the area has been allowed to sprawl in the Brigend direction while there is so much empty space closer to the town centre is a joke. You can spout all the nonsense you like but give me Rosemount over Galliagh any day of the week.

theticklemister

Quote from: OakleafCounty on October 10, 2013, 10:15:57 AM
J OGorman

Wind your neck in. To bring a school with for children with special needs into the debate is really scraping the bottom of the barrel! The two shopping areas are entirely tailored for people with cars and the sport complex is falling apart. I don't like the layout of the area and as a planner I think the way the area has been allowed to sprawl in the Brigend direction while there is so much empty space closer to the town centre is a joke. You can spout all the nonsense you like but give me Rosemount over Galliagh any day of the week.

Im proud of my Pennyburn/Shantallow area and no man, especially not you; will make me feel any different.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

J OGorman

Lurgan is a step back in time. Looks like Derry 20 years ago.

Strabane isnt really that bad.

Limerick looks rough at times but every town has grim areas, Brandywell in Derry can be pretty grim at times.

OakleafCounty

Quote from: theticklemister on October 10, 2013, 10:21:25 AM
J OGorman

Im proud of my Pennyburn/Shantallow area and no man, especially not you; will make me feel any different.

Good for you. I don't like it. The majority of it was sprung from farmland when the Bog was bursting at the seams after decades of gerrymandering and could have been planned much better. Nothing personal like. I have plenty of aquaintances and some family in the area.

J OGorman

Quote from: OakleafCounty on October 10, 2013, 10:33:06 AM
J OGorman

Good for you. I don't like it. The majority of it was sprung from farmland when the Bog was bursting at the seams after decades of gerrymandering and could have been planned much better. Nothing personal like. I have plenty of aquaintances and some family in the area.

wind your own neck in...you said the greater shantallow area is a sea of misery (of all the areas in derry city you could have picked, you pluck shantallow out of your head). i could have just told you you are talking out your hole, but decided to explain to you, and incase others got the impression you were right, why its not this sea of misery you think it is...so, stop talking through your ass  :)

armaghniac

Unimaginative planning doesn"t quite make Ireland's grimmest place.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

heganboy

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 10, 2013, 10:25:40 AM

Lurgan is a step back in time. Looks like Derry 20 years ago.

I looked at all those street view pics at the top of the thread and every time I thought "I've seen a lot worse in Lurgan"
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

clarshack

Quote from: armaghniac on October 09, 2013, 11:28:18 PM

and storied Dungannon

the look of the shop fronts in perry street have been improved since then.

OakleafCounty

Quote from: J OGorman on October 10, 2013, 12:09:36 PM
Quote from: OakleafCounty on October 10, 2013, 10:33:06 AM
J OGorman

wind your own neck in...you said the greater shantallow area is a sea of misery (of all the areas in derry city you could have picked, you pluck shantallow out of your head). i could have just told you you are talking out your hole, but decided to explain to you, and incase others got the impression you were right, why its not this sea of misery you think it is...so, stop talking through your ass  :)

You don't need to explain anything to me. I think the place is a dump. So what? Move on before we completely derail the thread.

seafoid

Around the shankill road in west belfast is fairly grim especially if it is raining. Murals of dead drug dealers and the somme.  Moyross in Limerick has been neglected too and has the drugs and violence.  Tuam has some very shabby streets.