Rugby World Cup 2023- Ireland

Started by Benny Sweeney, March 25, 2012, 12:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benny Sweeney

Leo Varaker Minister for Tourism, transport and sport was on the Sports show yesterday with Des Cahill discussing the possibility of ireland making a bid to host the Rugby World cup. It would be an All Ireland event. It would need the support of the GAA to make it possible. There were however points to note.

1. Ireland (North and South) would have to pay a fee of €160 million euro to the IRB to host the event.
2. We would need 11 stadiums to host it

Ravenhill, Aviva, Thomond park and the RDS would be the four Rugby venues to host it which means we would need seven other venues to host it. the majority of these would have to be GAA venues.

Windsor Park (Soccer) Croke Park, Celtic Park?, Pearse Stadium, Casement park, Mc Hale Park, Fitzgerlad stadium, Pairc I Chaoimh, Tullamore, Portlaois are all possible venues that could host it. Windsor park and Casement park are all set to undergo there own renovations, but the GAA stadiums will need a bit of investment. leo Varaker hinted that it would be worth there while i.e development money.

Denn Forever

Isn't Croke Park the only GAA pitch sanctioned to play Soccer/Rugby?  For other GAA parks there would have be a resolution from Congress?

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

magpie seanie

What time of year does a rugby World Cup take place?

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

There are a few games scheduled for Croker in September every year I seem to remember.

AQMP

Would the playing surface at Windsor Pk be big enough??

AZOffaly

Yeah. Rugby pitches usually fit fine into soccer, although sometimes the try area is a bit narrow. A rugby pitch is 100 mts from goal to goal.

AQMP

It appears the pitch at Windsor is 100m long...wouldn't leave you much of an in-goal area?  I suppose this could be changed for any potential WC matches.  Apparently there are no minimum dimensions for a rugby pitch but it should be as near as possible to 100m for the playing area plus 22m for each in goal area.

Initially I was against Croke Pk being used for rugby and soccer but it would be great to see England at Casement Pk ;)

LeoMc

Quote from: Benny Sweeney on March 25, 2012, 12:48:33 PM
Leo Varaker Minister for Tourism, transport and sport was on the Sports show yesterday with Des Cahill discussing the possibility of ireland making a bid to host the Rugby World cup. It would be an All Ireland event. It would need the support of the GAA to make it possible. There were however points to note.

1. Ireland (North and South) would have to pay a fee of €160 million euro to the IRB to host the event.
2. We would need 11 stadiums to host it

Ravenhill, Aviva, Thomond park and the RDS would be the four Rugby venues to host it which means we would need seven other venues to host it. the majority of these would have to be GAA venues.

Windsor Park (Soccer) Croke Park, Celtic Park?, Pearse Stadium, Casement park, Mc Hale Park, Fitzgerlad stadium, Pairc I Chaoimh, Tullamore, Portlaois are all possible venues that could host it. Windsor park and Casement park are all set to undergo there own renovations, but the GAA stadiums will need a bit of investment. leo Varaker hinted that it would be worth there while i.e development money.

I think by even identifying possible stadiums you have put as much work into this proposal as Varadkar.

thejuice

Discussed here: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=20762.0

Nevermind the stadiums, the GAA will open up to anything if there is enough €€€€ to be made, that we can be sure of.

What needs to be established is what it would cost and how much would it generate? Is it financially worth doing?

Can we even use New Zealand as an example, perhaps the French RWC would be a better comparison?

It was estimated to have cost NZ $260 million to host the thing and they expected about double that in return and hope that extra money comes from future tourism generated. You can't bank on tourism, imagine trying to predict what way the world will be in, in 2023?

I'm not against the idea in principal but without hard facts to back it up its just expensive waffle. The other thing to consider is the legacy it leaves behind You only have to look at the Korean/Japan WC or the coming London Olympics. After all, the GAA need better stadiums not bigger stadiums. We don't need any more Limerick Gaelic Grounds.

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

foxcommander

A rugby world cup hosted thanks to the efforts of the GAA and it's volunteers? €160 million euro to the IRB to host the event? Want to shaft taxpayers a little more?

No thank you.
go play your garrison sport elsewhere.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Maroon Manc

Surely the gate receipts alone would cover the cost of the 160m euros?

Frank_The_Tank

Link to the video - https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/798495527264321537

Would have been good if Neeson had have finished it with "If you dont pick us to host the world cup I will find you and I will kill you...."  ;D
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

BennyCake

I say play it in New Zealand every time, as it's the furthest place away from here.