Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hectic

Quote from: whatwillbwillb on November 03, 2018, 07:02:30 AM
Quote from: Hectic on November 01, 2018, 02:10:33 PM
Hmmm certainly at least one name there would not have me dancing a jig but sure we prob all have our own views.

Hard for JE to make good on his past, CMcC know very little about & carries the hopes & support & PR of the SV machine now that Collies away, same faces behind this lad so is it going to be any different?  OE genuine straight arrow, would be good to hear what he has to say, doesn't do bells and whistles (pardon the pun) his commitment and record to the County is without question though,  may bring a much needed fresh approach.... However that doesn't get you votes in this day and age

Look out at the reality of what the u21 championship is facing.

Dunsilly King

Hmmm certainly at least one name there would not have me dancing a jig but sure we prob all have our own views.

Hard for JE to make good on his past, CMcC know very little about & carries the hopes & support & PR of the SV machine now that Collies away, same faces behind this lad so is it going to be any different?  OE genuine straight arrow, would be good to hear what he has to say, doesn't do bells and whistles (pardon the pun) his commitment and record to the County is without question though,  may bring a much needed fresh approach.... However that doesn't get you votes in this day and age

The question I would ask and it should be the criteria applied when giving a vote, what strategic abilities have they displayed in their careers, both in the business and clubs they served in. A chairman has to have a vision, a track record in delivering. Being committed and having served in committees isn't enough at this level. This role requires vision, determination and networking skills. Give me a dyed in the wool gaa man who has a successful business back ground any day for this job

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Dunsilly King on November 03, 2018, 04:31:11 PM

The question I would ask and it should be the criteria applied when giving a vote, what strategic abilities have they displayed in their careers, both in the business and clubs they served in. A chairman has to have a vision, a track record in delivering. Being committed and having served in committees isn't enough at this level. This role requires vision, determination and networking skills. Give me a dyed in the wool gaa man who has a successful business back ground any day for this job
sounds like a vote for c mc c?
JE wasn't the chairperson secretary or treasurer on the former county board. R u ruling out everyone from that era?

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: Dunsilly King on November 03, 2018, 04:31:11 PM

To fair DK that's a dangerous and slightly naïve position to take, the GAA family: clubs, teams, &  county are made up of people from all backgrounds and abilities, that's why we are the envy of so many sports out there, from MD's to tradespeople  who all do a successful and fantastic job. So in your opinion just because you run a successful business guarantee's you will be a successful county chair? CmcC may be successful individual in his personal life and well done to him, however he is by association the selected candidate of SV by the looks of it, decisions will be guided in the future by people/group that put him there surely based on the past.  Different face same message and delivery possibly, the question begs then what will change? Don't get me wrong they have done a fantastic job raising profile and money btw and full credit where its due.  We only need to look at the previous chair and how going off message or not meeting alleged commitments or agreements resulted in a changing of the front guard. I'm not saying CmcC wont have the ability to deliver or do a great job, however does he have the freedom to deliver his vision or agenda? I'm going to go to this CCC/ club meeting tomorrow night and hear what the real issues where with the fixtures and the reserve my own judgement til after the on OE. Personally JE imo had his chance and just alienated the county as a whole with his my way or no way approach. So imo its a two horse race plain and simple which is disappointing I would have loved to have seen 3 or 4 running.

bannside

This meeting tomorrow night to address the fixtures issue should be applauded. This is an opportunity for club officials to attempt to understand the problems the schedulers have, and they are numerous. Trust me there is no easy fix to this, but if anyone thinks they can magically provide a solution, well I'm sure your contribution will be most welcome. That will be a lot better than coming on here blaming people who devote hours and hours of their time trying to make sure our games run off as smoothly as possible.

I was at a CC meeting around March when fixtures was the big item on the clar. I vividly recall JE speaking from the floor (as a St Paul's club delegate, not a county board delegate) saying that having done the job himself in the past, and now with so many new regulations from Croke Pk about enforced closed Sunday's for inter county fixtures, that in Joes exact words "the issue has reached a point where it is impossible, that quite simply three into two won't go"!

So to anyone who wants to use fixture congestion as a stick to beat county board, (no matter who the top two or three executive officials are) is plain wrong....and if you care to attend tomorrow night with your proposed solutions, I'm certain you will get a first hand understanding of the complexity of the situation.

This current (outgoing) board should be applauded for facilitating this meeting, instead of burying their heads and pretending there isn't a problem in the area of fixtures. That's my view anyway!

imtommygunn

Good win for st endas. Seemed comfortable enough

Hectic

Good to see St Endas keeping the flag flying.

Re fixtures. What works in other counties?

bannside

Superb win for St Enda Well done to Fitzy, Pat Hughes and all involved. Push on now for the provincial.

Cargin went out with their swords up but that was an excellent Gweedore team. Hard to beat fast one touch football with the superb Cian Mulligan best on view. Cargin to their credit didn't throw in the towel and only for conceding an unlucky goal near the end might have taken the game to a replay.

I didn't think Michael Magill did enough wrong to be taken off. Think DC got that call wrong, especially when Cargin had the breeze in the second half. A lot of Cargin support around me thought the same.

Spike

Yep Cargin will rue the last ten mins of the first half where there was brutal a opening up of their defence. They kicked a few into the keepers hands, which against a running team, is criminal. Looked a different set up completely in the 2nd half, much more mobile and aggressive which Gaoth Dobhair struggled with but, with such a forward press, were susceptible on the counter attack and ultimately proved their undoing with the last goal.  Goath Dobhair weaved some lovely patterns and have the support game down to a tee.

Milltown Row2

If you're from a Belfast club Farset then they will have brought a manager in, I can't think of one which hasn't
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: farset on November 05, 2018, 12:31:49 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2018, 12:28:42 PM
If you're from a Belfast club Farset then they will have brought a manager in, I can't think of one which hasn't

I am and my club have too. These GAA prostitutes have become completely acceptable.unfortunately.

Even in a big club with past players of great quality and excellent experience of big games find it difficult to entice these ex players into taking their club team, that's sad but there are a few factors, underachieving and being the brunt of your fellow clubmens criticism is one reason, time and commitment another, management skills and passion another, easier to play than manage..

An outsider no baggage and with ability to commit to looking after a senior set up for three years is harder than you may think

Now the likes of Dunloy and Loughgiel do very on this and hopefully that continues
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

belfastsaff

Cant expect an outsider to come in and do it for nothing. He is giving up his family/free time , possibly putting work commitments on hold for the benefit of another club. Nothing wrong with an outsider being paid but I agree some are taking the micky out of it getting 100 quid for a hour and a half session - Madness!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: farset on November 05, 2018, 12:59:40 PM
And where does this money come from? The hard fundraising efforts of members straight into the pockets of people like those mentioned.

If they are so passionate about our games, they'd do it for free.

Unless the club has a few quid (and trust me no club has the money like they did) it's coming from a rich benefactor

belfastsaff

You don't know Pat Hughes situation with ODS so there should be no further comment.

Players do it for the love of their clubs, for their families and communities.

Wouldn't be to many outside managers if it was just travel costs - sadly that's the GAA now and doesn't look like changing anytime soon

Milltown Row2

Think you are making a lot of accusations without knowing too many facts, unless you want to share this info.. as I've said the club in most cases won't be paying expenses.