Triathlons

Started by qwerty123, July 24, 2011, 01:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 19, 2013, 07:56:03 PM
Good to see ur back from the injury JS, did you have the surgery?

If ur doing the HIM and playing football I'd limit the tris to 4/5. I did 9 last year and it's easy to burn out. I peaked after 6 of 9 this year

I intend to only do 2/3 sprint ones and maybe 1 or 2 olympic distance then a HIM. See how it goes with football. I have the Paris marathon in April but I am only going to try and finish it and not worry about a time. It would ruin me for football if I went too hard at the marathon training.

Yeah I had the operation this time last year! What a difference a year makes, I could barely walk with pain last december, best decision I ever made was to have the surgery. I couldn't have went on any longer with that pain. I did a lot of cycling last year and didn't kick a ball all year until the end of the season when I played one senior match. Back feels great and basically no pain. I still don't have the flexibility in my right leg that I once had before the injury but I would hardly notice it with usual day to day activities. Hopefully I can improve my core and flexibility and get back to playing football properly this year.

Muck Savage

Signed up again to do Escape from Alcatraz. Its not that long but the Swim is a difficult, last year waves were very choppy ~2 mtrs high, as well a a strong current - one guy died in the swim! Cycle is short around The City and then a tough run but with great views.
Outside that will try get a half IM in.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on December 19, 2013, 10:46:01 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 19, 2013, 07:56:03 PM
Good to see ur back from the injury JS, did you have the surgery?

If ur doing the HIM and playing football I'd limit the tris to 4/5. I did 9 last year and it's easy to burn out. I peaked after 6 of 9 this year

I intend to only do 2/3 sprint ones and maybe 1 or 2 olympic distance then a HIM. See how it goes with football. I have the Paris marathon in April but I am only going to try and finish it and not worry about a time. It would ruin me for football if I went too hard at the marathon training.

Yeah I had the operation this time last year! What a difference a year makes, I could barely walk with pain last december, best decision I ever made was to have the surgery. I couldn't have went on any longer with that pain. I did a lot of cycling last year and didn't kick a ball all year until the end of the season when I played one senior match. Back feels great and basically no pain. I still don't have the flexibility in my right leg that I once had before the injury but I would hardly notice it with usual day to day activities. Hopefully I can improve my core and flexibility and get back to playing football properly this year.

Starting yoga after xmas, hopefully that will bring about more flexibility, have you tried it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Lisburn Duathlon on the 16th Feb, 2 miles run 10 miles cycle 2 mile run. Any takers?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

LeoMc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 30, 2014, 08:47:59 PM
Lisburn Duathlon on the 16th Feb, 2 miles run 10 miles cycle 2 mile run. Any takers?

That would be doable but I need to get working on my running pace.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: LeoMc on February 01, 2014, 02:29:13 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 30, 2014, 08:47:59 PM

That would be doable but I need to get working on my running pace.

They have three dates over the winter period, I just realised that date is maybe a bit of as hassle for me so might take the next date on offer

Milltown Row2

Anyone watch the Mark Webber Tasmania Challenge? 5 days of adventure racing, running mountain biking, kayaks, mountain climbing and be able to navigate around the area!!

Friends doing the hell and back race in Wicklow in 5 weeks, looks great

Mayo4Sam

Anyone racing in the coming weeks?
Have busted my shoulder and am out of swimming but am hopeful I can make a come back Sunday week in Lough Cultra, its a funny distance 800m swim - 40k cycle - 8k run, am hopeful of a good showing if I can swim at all
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on May 14, 2014, 11:53:03 AM
Anyone racing in the coming weeks?
Have busted my shoulder and am out of swimming but am hopeful I can make a come back Sunday week in Lough Cultra, its a funny distance 800m swim - 40k cycle - 8k run, am hopeful of a good showing if I can swim at all

Roe Valley sprint triathlon on the 24th for me, that is a strange distance Mayo4Sam. I've still my open water fears ffs, I'm doing easy 150 lengths a week and feeling stronger but still doubting the open water ffs

haranguerer

Why dont you work on getting open water practice? A few sessions in the sea, or I think I heard theres some resevoir round carryduff that a lot of the tri clubs train in, bound to help a lot.

I'm hoping to get a tri done this year, usual story of trying to fit it round football though

Milltown Row2

Quote from: haranguerer on May 15, 2014, 09:17:30 AM
Why dont you work on getting open water practice? A few sessions in the sea, or I think I heard theres some resevoir round carryduff that a lot of the tri clubs train in, bound to help a lot.

I'm hoping to get a tri done this year, usual story of trying to fit it round football though

I know, just my last experience wasn't good ha, need to get out and kill it, lad that trains in the gym with me the odd time is flat out, has done a few Ironman competitions and is doing a half Ironman next week some time, think he's gearing up for another full one, he never likes the swim either but just gets in and gets on with it.

He's no bigger than me (5'6) and is a fit as feck, I hate training besides him in the pool and on the spin sessions ffs though deep down he really pushes you on so it works out lol!!

Milltown Row2

Milltown Row2

Did the Roe Valley Tri today, was a tough route on the bike, heading out was tough hills and small drops so was hoping it be grand on way back! Head wind the whole way ffs. Thought my calf and thigh muscles were going to come away from my bone when I started the run. Anyways great day out and well supported. Roll on the next one. Oh PB on the swim which I was happy with

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2014, 12:33:42 AM
Did the Roe Valley Tri today, was a tough route on the bike, heading out was tough hills and small drops so was hoping it be grand on way back! Head wind the whole way ffs. Thought my calf and thigh muscles were going to come away from my bone when I started the run. Anyways great day out and well supported. Roll on the next one. Oh PB on the swim which I was happy with

good stuff. I need to get do one soon as well. Had you trained for it?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on May 25, 2014, 08:34:31 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2014, 12:33:42 AM

good stuff. I need to get do one soon as well. Had you trained for it?

The only thing I done was worked on the swim the last couple of weeks after really avoiding the pool for months. but managed to do it in 16 mins. The quickest was 9.50 which is madness. It's the cycling which is my achilles, I don't do any cycling at all so and with it being the big gain on tri's its where I should put the effort in.

But I'm only doing them for the craic and if I am sitting on 1.30 or below for the sprints then I'm happy. Think yesterday's winner finished under the hour mark !!!