Triathlons

Started by qwerty123, July 24, 2011, 01:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

That was mental today, everything else can go to the wall, if you can't swim really well forget it for open water Triathlons, (well I will) seriously need to improve, thought I was going to die lol.  After a 1/4 of the swim I started to lose my rhythm and breathing, I couldn't get a decent steady swim stroke and only I'm a stubborn fcuker I continued the swim.

Great setting and was very impressed with those who marshalled it and the lad who stuck with me on the canoe, I owe him my life lol!!

I enjoyed the cycle and run but by fcuk that swim was (nearly) lethal
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 13, 2013, 10:05:57 PM
That was mental today, everything else can go to the wall, if you can't swim really well forget it for open water Triathlons, (well I will) seriously need to improve, thought I was going to die lol.  After a 1/4 of the swim I started to lose my rhythm and breathing, I couldn't get a decent steady swim stroke and only I'm a stubborn fcuker I continued the swim.

Great setting and was very impressed with those who marshalled it and the lad who stuck with me on the canoe, I owe him my life lol!!

http://tinyurl.com/oevvotn

theticklemister

one of our players did a triathlon today, we have him for cship match tomorrow. how long will this buck last tomorrow ye reckon??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 13, 2013, 10:13:08 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 13, 2013, 10:05:57 PM

http://tinyurl.com/oevvotn

Yes, only way out  ;D

Quote from: theticklemister on July 13, 2013, 10:30:27 PM
one of our players did a triathlon today, we have him for cship match tomorrow. how long will this buck last tomorrow ye reckon??

Truth is, cardio wise its grand, it aint that taxing, most people finish around the 1.30 mark so if he's fit he'll be grand
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on July 13, 2013, 11:12:52 PM
Well done!

Thanks Rois, you interested in doing a triathlon?

Rois

Half thought about it but only because the girl beside me at work does them. She goes to swimming lessons in the PEC every Monday, then a cycling session on Tues and running at Mary Peters on a Wednesday. I don't think I'd have the energy for all that training!

The Titanic one is he one she's training for at the moment.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on July 14, 2013, 10:37:32 AM
Half thought about it but only because the girl beside me at work does them. She goes to swimming lessons in the PEC every Monday, then a cycling session on Tues and running at Mary Peters on a Wednesday. I don't think I'd have the energy for all that training!

The Titanic one is he one she's training for at the moment.

Look if your swimming is up to scratch the don't worry about the rest, look at each of them as a single discipline but all on the same day, get over the first and move onto the next. Best way to start off is the sprints, and at a pool event instead of a open water one first. You can then gauge if you are up to the challenge, the vast majority of competitors are aged 30 to 50 with the winners usually in the 40 bracket.

I'm going to do the Valley one again in September then knuckle down for next year with proper swimming lessons and just work on that area harder as it let me down yesterday. Not fussed on swimming in the Lagan!!

Just like the Parkruns the craic and atmosphere is really good

Mayo4Sam

I think the open water swims are actually easier, the wetsuit is a huge advantage, greater buoyancy.
Nine done this year, might knock out one more before the end of the season and then concentrate on getting the swimming and running times down
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Milltown Row2

They probably are easier but i must have panicked and i lost concentration technique breathing. Is it possible that wet suit was to tight? I felt very restricted

Mayo4Sam

I've been told that if you can zip up your own wetsuit its too loose, theres very little chance its too tight, you should be welded into it.

More likely is just what you said, you panicked, its a big step up from swimming in a pool or open water swimming with one or two others to being in river/lake/sea with 200 others all looking for the same piece of water. Some of them get very physical and its easy to panic a little bit and that effects your breathing immediately. Experience will help you stay calmer but it still happens sometimes, you'll have ur goggles knocked a little or get an arm or a leg to the head and you just need to take a minute to compose yourself.
Improving ur swimming gives greater confidence but it also means that u dont take 5k of the bike route to get ur breath back and start racing.

Fair play though Milltown, the first one is the toughest, now you know u can do it. What was ur time?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 23, 2013, 10:02:50 AM
I've been told that if you can zip up your own wetsuit its too loose, theres very little chance its too tight, you should be welded into it.

More likely is just what you said, you panicked, its a big step up from swimming in a pool or open water swimming with one or two others to being in river/lake/sea with 200 others all looking for the same piece of water. Some of them get very physical and its easy to panic a little bit and that effects your breathing immediately. Experience will help you stay calmer but it still happens sometimes, you'll have ur goggles knocked a little or get an arm or a leg to the head and you just need to take a minute to compose yourself.
Improving ur swimming gives greater confidence but it also means that u dont take 5k of the bike route to get ur breath back and start racing.

Fair play though Milltown, the first one is the toughest, now you know u can do it. What was ur time?

1.44 for the last one and 1.41 for the first one I did in the pool. The cycling was my major drop in time, the first course I did it in 58 minutes and was pretty disappointed in that, as I did my run in 21 minutes which was great, where as my cycle on the last open water one was 50 minutes on a far hill-er road so was pleased but my run was 25 minutes :o though it had 2 big hills to get through.

I've booked another pool one in the Newtownabbey sprint one. The pack swim was where I felt fine as the draft was pulling me along it was my first major intake of water I think got me and as the packed pulled away I felt under pressure to get to them and basically rushed things. As you say first one done and a lot to learn from it, not deterred and looking forward to working hard on all the disciplines. Should be able to knock off at least another six minutes off the bike on this course, and get the run down to 21 again. The swim should be 20 minutes also so I'm looking a time around 1.30, which would be a great finish to the year

Mayo4Sam

Ya it takes a while not to panic when u have to miss a breath or take a mouthful of water

1.30 would be a very solid first year, if your running is that good then you'll have no problem chopping huge times off ur bike, you've over a month, I'd suggest an 80k cycle every weekend and two nights with hills in them, not too steep, stay in the saddle and churn it out, will work wonders for your power output

It gets very addictive the more you do, I'm nearly looking forward to the winter to start building my base again, the turbo sessions started last week in prep for next year! Back to three swim sessions a week now, two technique and one endurance.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 23, 2013, 01:26:46 PM
Ya it takes a while not to panic when u have to miss a breath or take a mouthful of water

1.30 would be a very solid first year, if your running is that good then you'll have no problem chopping huge times off ur bike, you've over a month, I'd suggest an 80k cycle every weekend and two nights with hills in them, not too steep, stay in the saddle and churn it out, will work wonders for your power output

It gets very addictive the more you do, I'm nearly looking forward to the winter to start building my base again, the turbo sessions started last week in prep for next year! Back to three swim sessions a week now, two technique and one endurance.
[/b]

That's what I'm going to concentrate on. As you say it's a great buzz and the atmosphere is great at these events. Need to pick a route for the 80k cycling, do you go hard at them or pick a section or two to work on and go medium paced the rest?

Different training to what i did over they years playing hurling and football so once I get that base I'll be flying. My goggles broke just before we went in the water and I had another spare with me but they started to fog up after a bit, that didn't help ffs

FromAFar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 23, 2013, 01:36:53 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 23, 2013, 01:26:46 PM

[/b]

That's what I'm going to concentrate on. As you say it's a great buzz and the atmosphere is great at these events. Need to pick a route for the 80k cycling, do you go hard at them or pick a section or two to work on and go medium paced the rest?

Different training to what i did over they years playing hurling and football so once I get that base I'll be flying. My goggles broke just before we went in the water and I had another spare with me but they started to fog up after a bit, that didn't help ffs

Milltown are you part of a local club?